Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - 29/11/2013 ---->

Nick L

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Models are showing cooler weather next week not cold but cooler. Still potential for wet snow on the big day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Models are showing cooler weather next week not cold but cooler. Still potential for wet snow on the big day.

The big day is over 2 weeks away, I wouldn't put much stock in any forecasts as of yet 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Quite happy with the way the models are at least progressing to something cooler next week. Think it's a case of being patient to see what materialises (if anything)

I was interested in OldMetMans' post yesterday as well,  as he was saying what I have been thinking.  He in effect was saying that because USA was so mega cold (unusually) for this time of year, that he also thought that it could be having an effect on the upper air flow, hence the limpet vortex. Also encouraging that Joe B has identified and Asian SSW. Chin up guys, it may be okay after all!Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Well at least we will be into sort of more respectable temps next week. Crazy when you are considering short sleeves for running in December...Think the old running vest might come out!LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

If my memory serves me correctly (and it probably doesn't!) but anyone else think our winters of the past few years snow wise, appear to produce in December and March?  When was the last time we had a really good dumping in January or February. Basically, you would think that these are the months when it should be more likely. Hopefully that is what will happen this season.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

I'll take today's weather thanks, very easy to live with: 10C, little wind, 70% cloud, splendid colourful sunrise and wonderful big dramatic cloudscapes this morning. Happy bunny here.

Hope you were oot with the camera HC, always like the amazing pics.

Posted

A nice sunset this afternoonPosted Image20121208_155608.jpgPosted Image20121208_155924.jpg

A couple of photos from this mornings sunrise.post-2744-0-20174200-1386698120_thumb.jppost-2744-0-98144400-1386698150_thumb.jp

Dry breezy day with a maximum of 13c and currently  10.9c.  Ground drying up again.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

If my memory serves me correctly (and it probably doesn't!) but anyone else think our winters of the past few years snow wise, appear to produce in December and March?  When was the last time we had a really good dumping in January or February. Basically, you would think that these are the months when it should be more likely. Hopefully that is what will happen this season.

You're right enough, last year March was the best (well actually January was pretty incredible if you live in SS/CMDland) for snow and cold generally, in 2012 April saw the biggest snowfall of the winter, in 10/11 November/December saw the deepest snow and cold while in 09/10 December was the snowiest in Scotland, although the first half of January was also very cold and quite snowy and the rest of winter certainly wasn't bad by any means either (second coldest ever in the Scottish timeseries). We're overdue a properly cold February, 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2013 all showed promise at points but none fully delivered, least of all 2012. February 2007 had one decent snowfall and 2005 had a few good 'uns late month and other than those mentioned the only Januarys that stand out in my lifetime are 2011 (purely because of the Arctic westerly setup of the 7th/8th which were locally exceptional for snow with 9 fresh inches and giant flakes after an incredible December but rather disappointing elsewhere) and 2009, but the latter is purely because of the number of near misses from battleground setups where transient warm layers scuppered numerous 'nailded on' dumpings.

I think we're overdue a decent late January/February cold spell and we've got a reasonable shot at it this winter but of course the same could've been said for any of the last few winters at this stage in the game.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Snow and Skysports update... Turn over to Skysports 4 heavy snow has resulted in Galastaray v Juve to be postponed. Turkey of all places!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

The snow flakes are huge! This should be us not them, can I take this to court?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Posted Image

Transient it may be but we saw just last week how quickly cool zonality can morph into a full blown northerly (albeit then back towards a toppler on verification). We could do with lower heights for a better chance of snowfall if we were being picky but given the slim pickings that have been on offer in the last few days beggars certainly can't be choosers.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Maximum today 12.3C and little need for central heating.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Yesterday's sunset 

and this morning's sunrise

prefer NL's pix because the trees are more photogenic. Also I've overdone the colour correction, steep learning curve with new photoshop!

getting windy tonight, might be an Atlantic bhuna ghost bubbling up...

Might be getting some broadband back soon...

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Maximum today 12.3C and little need for central heating.

tell my wife please #meltinginhere

• Like 4

Posted

I think we could describe it as a mild night: http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/~brugge/amextremes.html

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 1

Posted

I think we could describe it as a mild night: http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/~brugge/amextremes.html

Just the same here currently 12.4c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Kilties from a sweltering Skye! Temp was 15.3c at 4am and has now crashed down to the dizzying depth of 14.6c. Just how I'm going to cope with this extreme cold Posted Image Posted Image is beyond me! Ach well, at least I'm saving oil now...the central heating is aff!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Great link, really mild, feels like late Autumn never mind December !!

• Like 1

Posted

The highest December minimum temperature is 12.5c, so Aultbea's 12.1c comes close to breaking the record. Kinloss was at 14.3c at 4am last night. Even for mid-summer, that's not too bad a night time temperature (4c above the July average minimum)...

Edited by Harve
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

We'll get something at some point, the relatively milder weather will not last all winter Posted Image

Gulp! Quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius. Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad! Posted Image 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Was busy yesterday so no report but it'll be no surprise to know it was a bright, dry, fairly sunny and mild day in Aberdeenshire. Today so far is looking to be similar with the temp at 9am 10C, dry but a bit cloudier than yesterday.

I've not really been in the model thread the last few days but a quick look at the charts myself and it looks better, if still not cold. That high that was showing stuck over us well into Dec on the models last week, leading to the usual "long way back from here", "you can write off December", "going to be hard to shift" etc, well it doesn't look anywhere near so robust a high now. Some people never learn, or are just deliberate wind up merchants.

• Like 5