Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - 29/11/2013 ---->

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

So the MT is in wrist-slitting mode eh LS?  Still, I can think of a few folk who won't mind a mild spell even if just to keep heating bills down and so they don't go airse-over tit on the way to the shops.

We went through that last week with the northerly downgrade, now it's more like boredom, a very unexciting output after an exciting but all too short cold snap.

I'm not all that bothered by it for two reasons - 1) it keeps my LRF on track and 2) I've got exams from the end of next week to the 19th so I wouldn't want to spend too much time on here, which I undoubtedly would do if we were set for an interesting spell of weatherPosted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I think the current outlook would be more disappointing if we still hadn't seen any cold so far. As it i,  most of us here ave now had a couple of short cold shots with at least a sight of snow.  Probably why those in the MOD thread who live further south get so would up at the output. Then again, the output over the last few weeks has been anything but predictable so who knows what we could be looking at in a few days time. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Seems like one of those times when the radar isn't exactly providing an accurate picture of events (tends to happen in drizzly/snizzly setups like this one). NMM suggested the bulk of the precipitation coming in from 9pm-3am so we might get something more substantial then. There has been on/off snizzle but the current moderate intensity looking band over East Lothian and the Eastern Borders looks much like a false return. Still -0.2C but the DP is up to -2.9C.

edit: it is actually snowing here, extremely light to the point where I didn't even notice until I went outside but it's better than nothing.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

We went through that last week with the northerly downgrade, now it's more like boredom, a very unexciting output after an exciting but all too short cold snap.

I'm not all that bothered by it for two reasons - 1) it keeps my LRF on track and 2) I've got exams from the end of next week to the 19th so I wouldn't want to spend too much time on here, which I undoubtedly would do if we were set for an interesting spell of weatherPosted Image

The second is a fine reason, although I'd happily see your LRF trashed for the sake of a few snowball fights...Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

The second is a fine reason, although I'd happily see your LRF trashed for the sake of a few snowball fights...Posted Image

Don't get me wrong, I would too, but getting to say 'I told you so' is a decent consolation prize Posted Image

This is possibly the least intense snow I've ever seen accumulating, or at least since January 2010. Getting marginally more intense but you can still see the individual snowflakes on the ground.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Light to moderate snow around 30 mins ago here with a nice wee dusting on the sides of the pavements. 0.6C

Edited by Mesosphere

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Light snow been falling here for the last 30 mins or so. Nice feathery flakes landing on top of yesterday's cover in the garden. 0.2C.

Can' get too excited though knowing the forecast from tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted

It'sa dding to snow where it's landing on yesterday's but just melting where it lands on black ground.  Still... could be the last of the year so lets not grumble HC!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Snowing moderately here in Inverness, quite a covering on the higher parts of the city, but a covering all over. 

• Like 3

Posted

Odd to see the precipitation so far north and east at this stage, the NMM had the precipitation just moving into western parts at this time so we're really in the dark about what comes next. Seems to be more brewing out west so perhaps this is merely an added bonus but I find it a bit bizarre when mesoscale models are so far out at such close range.

• Like 3

Posted

This Fax chart is actually a better guide than the NMM has been - what we saw there was a decaying warm front, which is why it didn't bring any milder air but also didn't bring much in the way of precipitation either. The warm front won't push in until at least midnight but in the interim we've got a few showers forming in the very slight upper level westerly flow:

Posted Image

When the line with the roundy bits on it passes over your house the fun ends and we all turn back into pumpkins for the next week or two at least.

• Like 8

Posted

Snow back on here, slightly more intense than before but with more like snow crystals than the usual dandruff. temperature still -0.2C with the DP at -2.7C so no immediate risk of a thaw. Will be interesting to see where exactly the snow/(freezing) rain boundary ends up by morning with Fife as very much the boundary. Oftentimes the Lomonds are the boundary line in these setups which would put us and Dundee in a good position to remain with the snow until the warmer air finally breaches into the lower levels:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Been snowing on and off very lightly for most of the night. Lying on the tops of cars and some bits of paths but not on anything else. Strange

Posted

Temperature never got above -0.2c today so we have at least got one ice day in December currently -2 c with another dusting on the ground from this evenings showers.

In spite of the models wildlife suggesting winter not over yet lots of birds at the feeders and  a few remaining fallen apples have been cleared today. Noticing too a lot of flighting woodcock at dusk this last week so the eastern European ones must be arriving.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

calm before the calm in here now.....going to be a quiet week on netweather me thinks

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

calm before the calm in here now.....going to be a quiet week on netweather me thinks

awww I was just getting back into snow watch, I hope the cold returns soon :( Edited by Allyw12
  • Like 2

Posted

Light snow on here now, was brief but enjoyable. Roll on the next cold spell.

Posted

Temperature never got above -0.2c today so we have at least got one ice day in December currently -2 c with another dusting on the ground from this evenings showers.

In spite of the models wildlife suggesting winter not over yet lots of birds at the feeders and  a few remaining fallen apples have been cleared today. Noticing too a lot of flighting woodcock at dusk this last week so the eastern European ones must be arriving.

We've had migrating Russian Woodcock in north Sutherland for the last 3 or 4 weeks - I'd not noticed them much until a few years ago. Have you tried eating them? They are supposed to be very tasty!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

awww I was just getting back into snow watch, I hope the cold returns soon Posted Image

I know........................but how good would it be if first real widespread snow comes the week of christmas......heres hoping

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Cloudy. 0.4C. A skiff of new snow overnight. Softening now.

Posted

Gosh, it's quiet this morning considering how much snow there is still. Ensembles stil look crap though so perhaps LS has his head down in a library...Posted Image

(that's the librarian btw)

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Kilties! Back to normal Scottish winter weather today. Mr Dreich has turned up again.

• Like 4