Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - 29/11/2013 ---->

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Morning all. Interesting anomaly here in NE Fife, overnight low at Leuchars was +0.2c (http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/~brugge/amextremes.html) while I recorded a min of -1.5c in Crail. That doesn't happen too often, I'm typically 2-3c milder than Leuchars at this time of year.

Clear skies, currently -0.5c.

It wa strange, but when i came out this morning at 6:30am in Lochgelly I was expecting a hard frost but the grass apart from a few snow flakes from yesterday was soft and the car was partially melted of frost! Very little cloud to speak of too, curious!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I just tuned into the news channels to see how the tidal surges were looking and surprised by the extent of the mandela coverage in that not even breaking for 2 mins on the flooding issues

But they've been waiting for him to pop his clogs for weeks, if not much longer. Much more important they don't miss out on their long awaited air time, quotes from dignitaries etc, than cover a story where people close to home are at risk.

Dunno if any of you have seen this.....I guess the Volvo's a write off!

That camera work made me feel sea sick, constantly shaking and panning around. What about the people standing outside the house to the right at some points, don't think I'd be risking that.

Gales, heavy snow showers and sub zero temperatures currently -4.7C with a wind chill of -12.3C!

Well at least someone has had the full force of the 'northerly that never was' (according to many more southern-centric members of these forums).

Here this morning it was -1C all the way into work. Mainly bright and sunny but there's the odd shower cloud around dropping infrequent light snow. Everything is pretty much frozen and there's a dusting of snow lying on most surfaces.

According to the BBC weather app on my phone we should be getting heavy, then light snow most of today (same on the website incidentally). Not showers, full on cloud and snow. Where that's supposed to come from I've no idea since the rain radar shows no sign of anything remotely close to that occurring and there's currently more blue sky than cloud around. If the app/web forecasts are so far out, why bother?

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

-2C and a thin cover of lying snow - and hardly any wind! Quite nice really, must take the camera out again.

Mandela's death coming at the same time as the storm surge was a broadcaster's nightmare but you'd think there's enough channels on tv and the internet to give everyone what they want.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

"Storm Xaver has barreled down on northern Germany with high winds and flooding as a result of raised sea levels. The storm had already battered northern Britain killing three people".

Ah so the have named it Storm Xaver then eh!

Needs Kilted up a wee bit though.

Mmmm

Hoorin Xaver has barreled down on northern Germany with high fkn winds.

On a serious note.

This was a Lethal Storm that had only warranted a Yellow / Amber warning from the UK Met Office!

Big Innes.

Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 1

Posted

Currently -1.5c here with a moderate wind and sunny intervels.Some snow showers out to the NEover the Firth.Ground frozen to several inches where exposed to the strong  freezing wind overnight but consequently we have lost a bit of the snow we had yesterday to sublimation and the soil surface is again powdery much like it was all summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

A couple of piccys of this mornings snow. Also check out the webcam at : http://gulberwickweather.co.uk/webcam.jpg although looks like I'll have to go and clear the window just had another heavy shower!

Posted ImageSnowdec062013a.jpg  Posted ImageSnow06dec2013b.jpg  Posted ImageSnow06dec2013c.jpg

Anyone else sitting there wondering how they could earn a living if they moved to Shetland…?

Shetland Coastie, you should be getting a fee from the Shetland Tourist Board for your work in here… beautiful pics...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Some decent showers clipping in over us this morning, but too brief and too infrequent to lead to anything more than what could be called a dusting. Pity the bulk of the shower activity is out over the north sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

No further snow where I live, we had about 2 inches worth and the temp just about hit freezing last night....down to 0.9c. It was below freezing on the way to Portree this morning and all is quiet and calm. Temps to go up at weekend I believe, switch off the central heating then?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

BMW, I used to spend hours every day watching the Shetland webcams, until they broke :( I love Shetland.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

BMW, I used to spend hours every day watching the Shetland webcams, until they broke Posted Image I love Shetland.

Mine isn't broke! Updates every 7 minutes.  http://gulberwickweather.co.uk/webcam.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Are the rainfall radars faulty nothing showing on the radar at all. Should be something coming from the west?

Posted

A few flakes falling here recently on a very cold and quiet December day. Satisfying to have had at least a taste of wintry weather aswell as securing a few December snowfalls and the bonus of a brief covering before it turns milder for the coming week(s). Hopefully that high to blasted area of high pressure will b****r off sometime in the next two weeks - a return to zonality or cold anticyclonic conditions would be very welcome.

Posted

Can't see out office window in glasgow. i guess it will be light snow as well.

Posted

Getting dark here, too. Cold outside still, warmer near the stove. Snow in the garden but none in my pocket.  Ensembles have a 'boring rest of the month' kind of look. It's that time of year: driven insane by the HMRC website. Time to have a look at the Daily Mash.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Back in Fife now, currently -0.2/-3.3 so plenty of wiggle room temperature wise. Going to be 6am before the milder 950s push in but more like 3am for those Glasgow westwards. Precipitation on the radar looks light but with slightly heavier pulses and it is pretty far east already (if the radar's accurate) so I'd be expecting to see some lying snow here if and when it does reach us - maybe a nanometre or two!

Posted Image

Equally, I'm not regretting booking at break to Prague just before Christmas - this may be the first genuine 'Bartlett' setup during my time on the forum if it comes off. This is also why this particular spell of cold is worth making the most of - with the current charts as they are we're at least 8, and perhaps even more like 15+, days away from seeing a significant risk of lowland snowfall again:

Posted Image

This is for Aberdeenshire, which gives you an idea of just how poor the outlook is at present - no runs below -5C after tomorrow until the 16th:

Posted Image

Some longer term positives are that Wave 2 activity is forecast to propagate reasonably well into FI (D8-D9) which could assist amplification upstream (although that doesn't necessarily mean cold but maybe more of a 'battleground' setup or a UK high type setup):

Posted Image

Some signs too that the MJO may manage to make progression through the poor phases and back round to the 6-7-8-1 phases that we like. However, the MJO forecast have been lacking skill so far to say the least so I don't have much confidence, but hopefully the high amplitude will remain and give us a chance of getting another cold snap at least before month's end:

Posted Image

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 2

Posted

So the MT is in wrist-slitting mode eh LS?  Still, I can think of a few folk who won't mind a mild spell even if just to keep heating bills down and so they don't go airse-over tit on the way to the shops.

Posted

Back in Fife now, currently -0.2/-3.3 so plenty of wiggle room temperature wise. Going to be 6am before the milder 950s push in but more like 3am for those Glasgow westwards. Precipitation on the radar looks light but with slightly heavier pulses and it is pretty far east already (if the radar's accurate) so I'd be expecting to see some lying snow here if and when it does reach us - maybe a nanometre or two!

Posted Image

Equally, I'm not regretting booking at break to Prague just before Christmas - this may be the first genuine 'Bartlett' setup during my time on the forum if it comes off. This is also why this particular spell of cold is worth making the most of - with the current charts as they are we're at least 8, and perhaps even more like 15+, days away from seeing a significant risk of lowland snowfall again:

Posted Image

This is for Aberdeenshire, which gives you an idea of just how poor the outlook is at present - no runs below -5C after tomorrow until the 16th:

Posted Image

Some longer term positives are that Wave 2 activity is forecast to propagate reasonably well into FI (D8-D9) which could assist amplification upstream (although that doesn't necessarily mean cold but maybe more of a 'battleground' setup or a UK high type setup):

Posted Image

Some signs too that the MJO may manage to make progression through the poor phases and back round to the 6-7-8-1 phases that we like. However, the MJO forecast have been lacking skill so far to say the least so I don't have much confidence, but hopefully the high amplitude will remain and give us a chance of getting another cold snap at least before month's end:

Posted Image

Mid December to mid January during the past two winters included prolonged mild weather. Thank god that this cold spell has ensured this December with some wintry weather to speak of but the next couple of weeks look really dire. The only hope we have is that the high could bring us some surface cold, and perhaps in future runs the position/duration of the high might change. Another positive thing is that most patterns don't last much longer than 2 weeks, so there is a glimmer of hope for something more festive around Christmas and we've still got two more months of winter to make up for a potentially very mild December.

• Like 1