Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - 29/11/2013 ---->

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

The satellite sequence on yr.no (http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html) is awesome (<- 45yr old guy doesn't use that word very often).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

sky has gone dark and its now wet and sleety. Kids not going to school today. Wind has died down a fair bit in last half hour.

Posted

It's calmed down so much here to the point you would never think there has been a storm.....................

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Still can't believe that didn't warrant a red warning this morning.  Ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Posted

Still can't believe that didn't warrant a red warning this morning.  Ridiculous. 

Especially considering we knew days ago that the worst of the winds would be at rush hour.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Hah! Internet must have died briefly just after 06.00 when the worst gusts began (through until 07.30). When I got downstairs I discovered the problem of no data transmission to my laptop Weather Program although data was reaching the Control Panel just no onward wireless or internet transmission. Hard restart of Control Panel fixed that but data was lost sadly.

Went fairly calm here at 09.30 so I guess the worst is over. Two trees down beside us with many more branches down also.

Both the Friarton and Tay Bridges were closed so Perth centre is bottle-necked as it is the only way to and from Dundee just now. Glad I am off today.

Strongest gust closest to here was 106mph at Glen Ogle in Stirlingshire.

Currently 4.8C/+1.4C so no snow prospects yet. 16.2mm of rain last night. 

Edited by Highland Snow
  • Like 1

Posted

Hah! Internet must have died briefly just after 06.00 when the worst gusts began (through until 07.30). When I got downstairs I discovered the problem of no data transmission to my laptop Weather Program although data was reaching the Control Panel just no onward wireless or internet transmission. Hard restart of Control Panel fixed that but data was lost sadly.

Went fairly calm here at 09.30 so I guess the worst is over. Two trees down beside us with many more branches down also.

Both the Friarton and Tay Bridges were closed so Perth centre is bottle-necked as it is the only way to and from Dundee just now. Glad I am off today.

Strongest gust closest to here was 106mph at Glen Ogle in Stirlingshire.

101 mph recorded on the Tay Bridge.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Blizzard! Not a lot of snow lying but it's started to blow up a hoolie again. Lost telly and mobile phone signals but landline phone working OK. LOts of roads closed in the Highlands ( including Skye ). Just heard someone on the wireless at Glasgow Central whining because all trains cancelled. He, off course, should have been warned that the trains would be cancelled BEFORE HE LEFT THE HOUSE!  Yeah, well perhaps no-one knew that part of the roof would cave in, or that the tracks could well be littered with fallen trees. Posted Image  Temp  now down to 0.9c.

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

The satellite sequence on yr.no (http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html) is awesome (<- 45yr old guy doesn't use that word very often).

Yes, you can see that the feed is now coming straight down from the arctic - hence all ppn now snow. Our garden - next to the beach - starting to go white so would expect much of northern Scotland to be the same pretty soon.

• Like 2

Posted

i belive you'd like these

Posted ImagePosted Image   stable is before snow started 

Edited by milkmaid
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Sleet and hail mixed in with the rain here.

Still well blawy, but eased off a bit.

Posted

nice of them at the speeds we had, what would get one here 

Edited by milkmaid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

The Graun now reckon we got 142mph in Inverness overnight. Looks like the journo can't tell the difference between Inverness-shire and Inverness. Classic.

• Like 2

Posted

Got a email back from m/oNo red warning cause there is no need for one , Eh wit the fxxk

I seem to remember London getting a red warning for a few centimetres of snow, a while back.  I think their model of assessing these warnings partly on the basis of the population density of the affected area is seriously flawed.  Surely dangerous weather is dangerous weather, wherever it is?

Meanwhile, back in EK, the wet snow shower didn't last long, and the sun is oot!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Seriously snowing again!

• Like 2

Posted

First leg of journey home complete. Approach to Amsterdam was fun though! Fingers crossed for Edinburgh flight in a few hours.

• Like 2

Posted

well in the last hour it's still gusting at 84 mph ,i'm not that pleased with the metofice ,i've just asked on their facebook  page about it 

Edited by milkmaid

Posted

How bad does the weather need to be in order to merit a red warning for lesser populated areas of the Uk? Not being flippant. Just a genuine question.

on the email it said it's the call of a senior forecaster

Posted

Brief flurry of snow here in the last 15 minutes - that will probably be it for here! Wind has died right back to NWly

18mph after being 46mph a few hours ago (mean speeds).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Hailstone shower currently +5.4C/-0.4C.

• Like 1