Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - 29/11/2013 ---->

Nick L

Posted

i'm sure i heard our local weather station just say the the wind chill would be _19 ,i'm not looking forward to it here 

and i'm at work over wed

Edited by milkmaid
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Temp dropped away last night to 2.1. That's the coldest it's been at night for a wee while. I'd best go out and tie everything down today before Bawbag #2 arrives!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We went out last night and the temp was 8c, husband was swearing his head off because we passed a gritter lol. But when we got up this morning it was 1.6 . And when I told him that's why the gritters were out...we fell oot!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Minimum last night -0.4C with 7.1mm of rain from the cold front. Beautiful day with cloudless sky.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Glorious blue sky morning here too with plenty of sun (irritatingly low and in my vision driving to work) and light winds. Temp around 1C at 9am so a slight frost, and the damp surfaces from yesterdays rain were all well iced up. Really is the calm before tomorrows storm.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 1

Posted

Currently 3.1c, feels a lot colder though.  Clear blue skies and overnight frost still on the grass.

Just been out to the garden and secured everything in anticipation of tomorrows hoolie.........................not looking forward to the wind, but a bit of the white stuff is never unwelcomePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Speak for yourself! I've my cashmere simmet - some of us have standards to keep up, dontchaknow?!

I have a pair of Aldi's finest (NOT), must tradeup to some of those cashmere thingies!

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

So whit are we gonnae call this next Kilted Storm then?

Big Blawy Baw Heid!

Will the Cental Belt get any Snaw wi this, or jist a right fkn dooin fae the winds?

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 5

Posted

Brief winter plunge best way to call it tomorrow (albeit VERY lively)! then back to the boring stuff (might last a while too)

Posted

Met Office Amber warning for wind now out as expected. Not quite the area I expected though. Covers most of Scotland, but excludes the NE corner (Aberdeenshire and most of Angus & Moray). It also covers a large swathe of northern England too, with everything north of a rough line from Blackpool to the Wash in on the act.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 2

Posted

I see we now have an Amber warning covering a large area.

Pity it's bin day tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Not looking forward to tomorrow. Have huge protected trees next to oor house! Oh eeerrrrr!

Hopefully power will stay on and i'll get some baking done! Staying indoors except for school walk(blaw doon the road)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Strathearn...Good to have a fellow runner on the forum. I run 5 days a week. 2 with my club and 3 on my own. Could be very unpleasant tomorrow in the cutting wind.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

It's starting to get a wee bit breezy noo. Just been oot tae tie up the bins and get in a stock of wood and coal for the nicht! Got batteries charging for lanterns....just in case! Can't really do much more than that. I'm as prepared as I can be. Just wait and see what we get flung at us and deal with it as it comes.

• Like 1

Posted

Beautiful day here - very much the calm before the storm. 6c under sunny skies and a light westerly breeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

That's an excellent screensaver Andrew. How do I display my weather data from Weather Display?

http://www.bordersweather.co.uk/wxscreensaver.php?beta=1

Make sure you are uploading your clientraw.txt somewhere that is accessible by a web browser (you can just install a webserver on your weather station machine if you don't want it online) point the screensaver to the URL of the clientraw.txt file. Additionally you can turn on the multicast option in Weather Display which broadcasts part of the clientraw.txt file on your local network every 5 - 10 seconds and the screensaver can listen for the broadcast and update the data. Use the BETA version I posted above which downloads MET Office data direct from the metoffice and will display warnings when they are issued.

If the screensaver crashes (as it sometimes does and I haven't quite figured out why yet) - simply use CTRL + ALT + DEL to bring up task manager and it will normally close on it's own.

I have attached a screenshot showing how mine looks right now.

post-10546-0-33994200-1386165642_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

Need to get out and run at least 3 miles tomorrow which should be interesting! Undertaking a challenge of running at least 3 miles a day for the month of December. Think I will find somewhere with no trees!

Easy, just run 3 miles with the wind at your back......then crawl the 3 miles back home in the opposite direction.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Well that's the weather station returned and the brief reports of dew points from luncarty will now cease....to be fair lidl took it back with no questions asked.....need to decide on way forward now...that £110 one looks good but I guess with Santa coming to 4 kids can't really justify spending too much...will do some surfing but essentially I just need a dew point reading that will go below zero

Edited by edodfc
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well that's the weather station returned and the brief reports of dew points from luncarty will now cease....to be fair lidl took it back with no questions asked.....need to decide on way forward now...that £110 one looks good but I guess with Santa coming to 4 kids can't really justify spending too much...will do some surfing but essentially I just need a dew point reading that will go below zero

What about costco for a new weather station?? i'm sure they had them in store - although i can't see them in their online shop! typical. I'll have a look next time i'm in there:)

Maybe be a few places have weather station in their Jan sales, like Dobbies etc ? 

I hope Santa brings me one too:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Hi,

Clearly wind and rain aren't such a high priority for you just now - I'm assuming you want something with dew point reporting for snow prediction? If that is the case why not get something that does just what you are needing and think about upgrading to a more complete station in the future?

A quick scout about Amazon has uncovered these for you:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DB-Tech-Wireless-Outdoor-Digital-Weather/dp/B00796HQ4Q/ref=pd_cp_lp_1 ( £29.99 + free delivery)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ClimeMET-Digital-Wireless-Weather-Station/dp/B00D1WUKOK/ref=pd_cp_lp_2 ( £33.50 + free delivery)

A quick google around for the DB Tech station (£29.99) reveals it is likely a rebadged (or rather no badge) Ambient Weather station - for which you can peruse the manual here: http://site.ambientweatherstore.com/Manuals/ws1171.pdf

Hope I helped Posted Image

Edited by Andrew Simon Jones
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

That's very disappointing EDO and quite unbelievable for a German engineered product to boot!

My first proper Weather Station was by Ambient Weather and failed to work out of the box which made me determined to buy a state of the art wireless Davis system.

Edited by Highland Snow
  • Like 1

Posted

our local weather places are saying it's not going to be as bad for us ,

70 mph they are saying now 

no schools are cancelled ,tomorrow 

Edited by milkmaid
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis