Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussion - 29/11/2013 ----->

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

aye was very wild earlier with big gusts and some strong winds and very heavey rain. winds really starting to pick up again now been very still here for a few hours

Posted

Strong winds here in Castlereagh Hills .... I'm tired and a bit drunk but I don't wanna sleep yet cos the winds are fierce and my rooms in the attic so it's extremely noisy ... Wondering what I'll wake up to in the morning ...

Me and the OH came back from Ballymoney about and hour and half ago .... Bit windy then but no real damage ... I'd imagine ill wake up to branches and trees everywhere tomorrow

Posted

Hope everyone is safe but that was a cracking storm! Sustained winds and heavy rain! Class! Out tomorrow a run with the camera to the Donegal coast to catch some big waves! We didn't get the worst of the storm but it was certainly interesting! The deeper low on Christmas Eve was just a little baby compared to this!

Posted

This wind is getting worse here in Belfast ... Ok we'll it sounds like it is ... More sustained ferocious winds ... Bit frightening atm tbh ..

Posted

Some parts of Northern Ireland are now in the broad eye of the storm which is centered west of Malin Head moving towards Tiree. When the centre moves further away, despite fact it's slowly filling, you will get back into stronger winds from west veering to northwest. In other words, storm not over, will have a second phase. Further south where it's steady-state or getting a bit better or worse, the trend will be oscillating for most of the morning hours and then gradually weakening by afternoon/evening. Expect some hefty squalls of rain and hail with thunder too.

• Like 7

Posted

A wild night in the end though I haven't had chance to check wind speeds yet. We've been without power off and on most of yesterday evening and all night. The fault seems to have been in the nearby transformer so we woke up to see the street full of vans and diggers. I hope everyone's ok. There's no visible damage here.

Posted

Is it just me or are some people in the south of ireland major exaggerators of the wind speed? Was up last night reading that boards.ie forum and honestly I couldn't quite get my mind on what they were going on about. We had a 70mph gust here which while strong is not really that bad, they had winds maybe just a bit stronger and they were going on all night as if they were getting hurricane speeds.

They even managed to congratulate a pilot who landed an A330 aircraft in 50mph winds... um???

Maybe its just me, but I didn't think the winds were all that strong last night. IMO the storms we have had in NI have been nothing in comparison to the storms we used to have.

Just found out that Dublin's winds only reached 70mph, so there you go. They were most certainly exaggerating. 

Edited by smithyweather
  • Like 2

Posted

Well it was mental here. Still is. Electricity of and on all night and this morn. Trees down, planes diverted, damage reported at aldergrove airport roof,and roads closed! Don't know what else u want to happen smithy weather. !!

Posted

I'm on east coast at 120 metres by the way

I thought you lived in Belfast.

Well it was mental here. Still is. Electricity of and on all night and this morn. Trees down, planes diverted, damage reported at aldergrove airport roof,and roads closed! Don't know what else u want to happen smithy weather. !!

Well i'm on north coast so maybe i'm more used to these winds. The peak reached 70mph and that was in the front the actual event only recorded gusts of like 60mph which to me is nothing...

I remember in 2007 (I think) we had almost 100mph gusts here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Is it just me or are some people in the south of ireland major exaggerators of the wind speed? Was up last night reading that boards.ie forum and honestly I couldn't quite get my mind on what they were going on about. We had a 70mph gust here which while strong is not really that bad, they had winds maybe just a bit stronger and they were going on all night as if they were getting hurricane speeds.

They even managed to congratulate a pilot who landed an A330 aircraft in 50mph winds... um???

Maybe its just me, but I didn't think the winds were all that strong last night. IMO the storms we have had in NI have been nothing in comparison to the storms we used to have.

Smithy, I don't think you're in a position to complain about exaggeration!

Many flights were diverted, many pilots required multiple attempts to land. Nothing wrong with people finding that interesting. The winds were stronger in the south for once, for many places it was the worst storm since 1997. 10s of thousands we left without power, hundreds of trees were knocked onto roads, areas were flooded, homes were damaged, part of the CUH roof came off. I

t was a strong storm and fascinating to follow.

Edited by BornFromTheVoid
  • Like 4

Posted

Well last time I checked map Belfast is on east coast! I'm up in castlereagh hills smithy. Maybe not on the beach but technically east of the province

Posted

Well we didn't miss out. It was stormy here about 9pm in the front but after that it was just gusty.

Yes I have seen some lying snow but nothing exceptional and STILL none at my house. I think eventually it will have to give up the ghost and come. I suppose it could be worse, we could be having double figures constantly. We are lucky to see snow in this weather pattern. 

I think there is actually a chance of snow tomorrow again. 

Posted

Just found out that Dublin's winds only reached 70mph, so there you go. They were most certainly exaggerating. 

Maybe you should tell that to the people in north county Dublin that have been without power for 24 hours, or that poor fella in Skerries that had a tree uprooted and crash into his house, or the family that had a roof torn off their home? Maybe you're just made of tougher stuff than us down here… Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

I'm sitting looking across at west Belfast and there's a rainbow- can this be or did I drink too much Talisker last night? All calm today but apparently more tomorrow? I'm a bit out of things because of power outages.

Posted

Wind picking up again down here, and feels cold out in it… Still lovely and bright out and not too many clouds...