Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussion - 29/11/2013 ----->

Nick L

Posted

Great to see the gfs is giving us a chance of a White Christmas in Ireland, fingers crossed, borderline even if verifies!

I thought it was a very really possibility 4 days ok, there were subtle signs a vortex segment would move East leaving us in the colder Arctic air.
  • Like 2

Posted

Hard frost here this morning, lovely crisp and clear day. Very refreshing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Severe frost further south here in Tipperary too.

Another Tipp man! Frosty here too, -0.5C, probably a good deal colder out of town.

Looks as though a few spots might get some sleet or snow tomorrow night, so something to keep an eye on.

Posted

Decent frost this morning in the Castlereagh Hills with an exciting period of weather ahead...

Possible severe/destructive low pressure system battering into the Island with snow chances on Thursday and particularly around Christmas.

Seriously though, there is a potential for a pretty brutal storm over the next ten to fifteen days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

aye it's bloody freezing in my house atm hope the snow does arrive and makes its way to bangor.

all the autumn storms seem to be arriving all in one go 

Edited by gary1365

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,windstorms

NI facebook weather go for this Posted Image

Amber and Yellow warnings of HIGH WINDS has been issued for Northern Ireland.

During Wednesday a deep area of low pressure will move close to the Northwest of the UK as it does so it will bring the risk of storm force winds during Wednesday night from around 9pm continuing overnight and into Thursday morning. 

AMBER Warning 

It is within the AMBER warning area where we expect the highest winds, gusts up to or possibly in-excess of 85mph. This is likely to lead to disruption to travel, damage to trees, power lines and risk to buildings i.e damage to Roofing, weak structures and windows due to possible flying debris (Caravans and Mobile homes are particularly vulnerable) interruptions or loss of power supplies is also possible.

Yellow Warning

Within the Yellow warning area wind gusts may reach 60 - 70mph locally this again may lead to some disruption to travel and risk of localised interruptions to power supplies.

Please note both the AMBER and Yellow warnings may be subject to changes, please stay tuned as FLASH warnings may be issued. Heavy rain is also expected although no warning is in force at present. 

The public are advised to take extra care and be prepared for disruption to travel, possible disruption to power supplies and possible damage to buildings i.e Roofing.

For those intending to travel by Sea, it is advisable to keep a check on updates from ferry operators, as Delays and/or cancallations are likely. And similar advice for those wishing to fly.

By Road: Please refer to NI traffic watch for further advice on road conditions, Bridge closures and speed restrictions are likely 

By Rail: Please check with Translink for further information on any disruption to Rail travel, as speed restrictions may be placed on some rail lines which may lead to delays.

You may also notice a new warning icon on our map. This is for Coastal event's, this means sea conditions are going to be extremely rough and may cause damage and flooding to coastal areas. The public are advised to avoid Beach fronts, coastal footpaths/roads and sea walls due to risk of high over topping waves and risk to life

Proper met offfice go for 60-70mp/h coastal event. The two couldn't be more different

• Like 1

Posted

Definitely a very exciting period of weather coming up! Love this kind of set up but hopefully the upcoming storms won't be to severe. Snow potential looking good for Thursday but i reckon that it will only be a temporary affair. Beyond Thursday anything can really happen!Posted Image

Posted

Strange that from Northern Ireland weather on facebook because met office only going for warning on north and east coast? Can't really see much in way of snow either I'm afraid on Thursday. Also think we will miss on Xmas. Just! But a little tweak here and there we may get lucky. At the mo I think it's a long shot. After Boxing Day ? Well that's a different story. I'm expecting some good cold charts with snow to gather pace in the next few days. Either way, it's some weather at the mo.

Posted

Well actually Ronan it doesn't look marginal at all. Here is my forecast for Thursday from the Met Office. 

Frequent snow all day.  And notice it is light snow not light snow showers. Posted Image

post-15021-0-11538800-1387289127_thumb.p

post-15021-0-87602900-1387289882_thumb.p

Edited by smithyweather

Posted

Smithy,

The Met Automated forecasts are notoriously inaccurate. The NAE is far more useful.

The further North and West with altitude the more likely you are to see something on Thursday.

The Glenshane Pass will be horrendous that's for sure. Blizzards likely in showers.

• Like 1

Posted

Whether we get snow on Thursday or day not I'm fairly confident now that we'll get lying snow at least once between now and new year! I'm not going to hazard a date though just yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Ensemble mean for Thursday morning

Posted Image

Still touch and go for a snow showers at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Breezy enough here too at the moment. I had a meeting at my daughter's school earlier, walked up. The wind was actually painful, very cold! Temperature stayed about 1 or 2 degrees all day, up to 4 for a bit and back down to 3 now.

• Like 1