Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Netweather Winter Forecast 2013

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Hi Ed, well put together...kudos to anyone going into that much detail.

I did spot a typo though! Posted Image ....... 'There will be periods when the UK is situated south of the polar front jet and the risk of snow will increase, but also times when milder conditions will ensue before the Scandinavian high builds' I think south should be north?

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Just thought id say thank you for taking the time to put this forecast together for us Posted Image

Im quite a newbie but very eager to learn, the weather facinates me and i could follow the more technical version, it was very well explained!

Heres hoping we all see some snow to make us happy and that February option 2 is the right prediction!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Can i Just say thank you for a forecast that has been written so well.

I went straight into the in depth technical forecast, and I realise sometimes it can be very difficult to explain such detailed information to amateur learners such as myself, but in all honestly it was so easy to follow and an excellent read.

Great stuff! Posted Image

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Hi Ed, well put together...kudos to anyone going into that much detail.

I did spot a typo though! Posted Image ....... 'There will be periods when the UK is situated south of the polar front jet and the risk of snow will increase, but also times when milder conditions will ensue before the Scandinavian high builds' I think south should be north?

Yep - you win the prize!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Haha awesome. A free Netweather Extra subscription?? LMAO

No - just some yellow snow!

• Like 3

Posted

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess when compiling a forecast one has to take the rough with the smooth - especially when it is not predicting snowmageddon!

When Paul asked me to provide a winter forecast back in the summer, I instantly assumed that it would be mild all the way this winter - even I was surprised when I looked at it in a bit more detail and saw that analogue years were suggesting an average to below average winter.

Here's hoping that it is colder than the forecast suggests!!

rubbish forecast Ed! make it better! i've just bought a second land rover and i want silly amounts of snow to play in!!! Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 3

Posted

A very well presented forecast chio-many thanks for that. I did like the fact that accronyms were explained every time-again thank you. Like all forecasts we have to wait until 1 March to see how it scored. One thing is for sure, it must have involved very many hours of work-so again my thanks for doing this.

• Like 1

Posted

A very informative and well constucted forecast chiono, GP would be proud !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Good work Ed and well presented covering all factors.Good luck with it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Thanks for this!

Obviously a lot of hard work has gone into producing this and the knowledge required to be able to do this is truly impressive. :)

I'll be using this to try to improve my weather understanding too and seeing how the weather verifies against this, whatever happens.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

A meteorological masterpiece. An example of brilliance.

Many thanks Chio, always one of the more respected, talented members on here. Brilliant read.

Edited by Backtrack
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Excellent work as ever Ed, as in depth and detailed as we've come to expect from a Netweather LRF, which is certainly no mean feat given Stewart's record and reputation on here. Certainly this seems like a particularly difficult winter to forecast in the sense that, while there are, on the face of it, very strong signals pointing towards a positive Arctic Oscillation and nothing particularly strong pointing towards an SSW, almost all of the composite charts I've seen (including mine) are very much favourable to low heights over Europe, certainly mid to late winter, along with positive height anomalies to our north.

Anyway, all the best and I too am rooting for option 2 for February, not least so we can add a severely cold February to complete the set of recent extreme cold months (December 2010, January 2010 and March 2013)

• Like 2

Posted

A lot of thought and a sensible LRF Chiono, have you thought of sending it to the Daily Express - they could make it sound so much more dramatic!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Absolutely fantastic forecast , very professionally put together and certainly if I we're an outsider I would not no GP hadn't put that together , and in my eyes that's a compliment to anyone out there.

Very informative , and indeed lots to be optimistic about having read through it , remembering we don't need a freezing cold winter to have lots of snow , with the jet stream south of the uk with low pressure coming into the south of the country , dragging in them easterly/southeasterly winds and very low dew points can bring lots of snow events for some of us .

Thankyou for the time you took to put it together ed , really impressed with the format it's done in .

Shaun :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

It's also very easy for even a novice to read (mnemonics always initially fully described etc.) despite the complexity of the subject.

Very well thought out and a great credit to Ed. People can use this as an excellent framework to help expand their own meteorological knowledge. Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

well that sounds a tad disappointing after all the talk of the worst winter for decades on the cards.  Nothing amazing in that forecast to be honest.  Although i am not sure why people take the time and effort with forecasting months in advance when it is proven that we cannot forecast the weather a week in advance let alone a month.  Seems a waste of time and money to me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

well that sounds a tad disappointing after all the talk of the worst winter for decades on the cards.  Nothing amazing in that forecast to be honest.  Although i am not sure why people take the time and effort with forecasting months in advance when it is proven that we cannot forecast the weather a week in advance let alone a month.  Seems a waste of time and money to me.

The only people that were warning of that were the likes of Powell, Madden and the express. Ed's forecast was very thorough. It may come to fruition and it may not, but it clearly took a lot of time and effort and I, like many am very appreciative of the efforts.

It’s a forecast, it’s not meant to be taken as gospel but more of a guide of what might happen when one takes in all of the variables of modern forecasting practices. If you feel that way about LRF's, why did you come into this thread anyway?

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

apologies and not intend to cause offence to Ed.  A lot of time and effort obviously went into this forecast and okay, it wasn't exactly what i was hoping for, but then when are things ever that straight forward when forecasting for this country?  I can only hope his forecast for a below average winter comes to fruition and even more so than his forecast implies.  Still not convinced about long term forecasting, but that is just my opinion and not a criticism.  Still hoping for a cold and snowy winter (if that can ever happen again in the UK).

The only people that were warning of that were the likes of Powell, Madden and the express. Ed's forecast was very thorough. It may come to fruition and it may not, but it clearly took a lot of time and effort and I, like many am very appreciative of the efforts.

It’s a forecast, it’s not meant to be taken as gospel but more of a guide of what might happen when one takes in all of the variables of modern forecasting practices. If you feel that way about LRF's, why did you come into this thread anyway?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

I'm very surprised and disappointed, I just assumed that Paul would be asking me to issue the winter forecast, given my advanced knowledge on long range forecasting...

Jokes, I'm liking the forecast Chiono!

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Excellent forecast Ed, seems very sensible and actually seems to agree with the thoughts of many others (except maybe less extreme Posted Image )

Lets hope we get a nice cold and snowy winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The bulk of that talk has come from the Express mainly though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

A lot of thought and a sensible LRF Chiono, have you thought of sending it to the Daily Express - they could make it sound so much more dramatic!

Explosions, car chases, space ships, snow...