South East & East Anglia Regional Snow Depth Cup - Winter 2013/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

I think we need to change the snow depth to a rain comp Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

Maybe a combination of wind and rain together multiplied a by a formula of daylight hoursPosted Image

Yep I defiantly think so, we will have a much better chance of a wild comp here,or we can wait a few more weeks for a flurry, if we are lucky.But we never know, that's why the good old British weather is so interesting .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Yep I defiantly think so, we will have a much better chance of a wild comp here,or we can wait a few more weeks for a flurry, if we are lucky.But we never know, that's why the good old British weather is so interesting .

Hi Jo,I'm sure Chris and I are open to suggestions from any entrant, as a way forward to try and put some life into this competition!Chris I like your version of a Duckworth/Lewis formula, of course to be known as Mantle/Meyers.It may well come down to the number of air frosts x the number of flakes seen over the Winter!Tom.
  • Like 1

Hi Jo,

I'm sure Chris and I are open to suggestions from any entrant, as a way forward to try and put some life into this competition!

Chris I like your version of a Duckworth/Lewis formula, of course to be known as Mantle/Meyers.

It may well come down to the number of air frosts x the number of flakes seen over the Winter!

Tom.

Tom, we need copyright on that straight away, who's our lawyer.

I'm sure one of JP's ramp charts will work out soonPosted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

hi chris

january should see this lull change

although i suppose we could work out who gets what from the ramp charts if not Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

why wait...

post-10773-0-35486800-1387878088_thumb.p

...the choccy mint ones are lush Posted Image

Removing a few posts from here as they were obviously intended for the regional thread !

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Feel we might need a pitch inspection soon gents

Can the first legs finally get out the dressing room

Fingers crossed

• Like 1

Posted

Get those snow cups back out!

Fingers crossed, rulers at the ready and B, cms not Kentimetres please! Posted Image

Tom.

• Like 3

Posted

Feel we might need a pitch inspection soon gents

Fingers crossed

Ah Rob, I come through Addington most days and have a colleague who lives close to you, so no cheating, apart from brown envelopes of course! Posted Image

Tom.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Fingers crossed

Happy to produce my own, as long as I can wear my fur lined bootsPosted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Happy to produce my own, as long as I can wear my fur lined bootsPosted Image

That's a lot of leg to keep warm Tams. Posted Image

Tomasino

• Like 1

Posted

Kentish My area has changed to Welling. Still south of the Thames :-) apologies but i only just noticed it

• Like 1

Posted

That's a lot of leg to keep warm Tams. Posted Image

Tomasino

Best we keep this thread practical and on topicPosted Image Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Tom, we need copyright on that straight away, who's our lawyer.

I'm sure one of JP's ramp charts will work out soonPosted Image

Sorry chaps, bit busy, Christmas, what? Port, Stilton, brandy and cigars to nurture along, new monocle had to be fitted, dashed awkward show, plus found myself bursting out of the old silk pinstripe waistcoat so, wouldn't you know it, orf I had to go to jolly old Saville Row to get measured up for some new clobber, can't be up before m'luds in jeans and plimsolls can I, man of my standing.

Anyway, where was I, ah yes, copyright.  Hopefully this will cut your mustard cords:

"Messrs Mantle and Myers (together 'the Owners') hereby for perpetuity and for even longer if necessary, assert their absolute and inalienable and very serious right to ownership of all property that resides within, without, outside, inside, through under and over the term 'Mantle/Myers Formula' and lest there be any doubt or dispute between the Owners, or either of them the term 'Myers/Mantle Formula' in each case in its existing or howsoever modified form whether within or without the jurisdiction of North West Kent and/or Kempston, Bedford or any such place within the jurisdiction of the Courts of England and Wales and within the frankly ghastly environs of the EU and hereby let it be known and recorded that any infringement whether real imagined or anticipated of the said Formulas shall be a breach of copyright, trademark and any other intellectual property rights that are contained within the laws of England and that I have now forgotten as a consequence of years spent slumped at the tables of El Vinos, and that damages shall not be an adequate remedy for such breach, and that an injunction with damages and such other special or punitive award as shall be decided by the Courts shall be a just remedy for any funny business that any of you lot might try on."

Now then, on fees, I note I am still awaiting payment for my previous work and whilst one doesn't like to bring up the subject of money (cash, lucre, folding, readies, whatever you want to call it) but this year it is 'sue one, get one free' so I'm sure you'll see your way to putting me in funds old chaps?  Plus the £1000 for this piece of work (Copyright Law, dashed complicated and hence, I am sorry to say, rather expensive)

Toodle Pip

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur
  • Like 8

Posted

Sorry chaps, bit busy, Christmas, what? Port, Stilton, brandy and cigars to nurture along, new monocle had to be fitted, dashed awkward show, plus found myself bursting out of the old silk pinstripe waistcoat so, wouldn't you know it, orf I had to go to jolly old Saville Row to get measured up for some new clobber, can't be up before m'luds in jeans and plimsolls can I, man of my standing.

Anyway, where was I, ah yes, copyright.  Hopefully this will cut your mustard cords:

"Messrs Mantle and Myers (together 'the Owners') hereby for perpetuity and for even longer if necessary, assert their absolute and inalienable and very serious right to ownership of all property that resides within, without, outside, inside, through under and over the term 'Mantle/Myers Formula' and lest there be any doubt or dispute between the Owners, or either of them the term 'Myers/Mantle Formula' in each case in its existing or howsoever modified form whether within or without the jurisdiction of North West Kent and/or Kempston, Bedford or any such place within the jurisdiction of the Courts of England and Wales and within the frankly ghastly environs of the EU and hereby let it be known and recorded that any infringement whether real imagined or anticipated of the said Formulas shall be a breach of copyright, trademark and any other intellectual property rights that are contained within the laws of England and that I have now forgotten as a consequence of years spent slumped at the tables of El Vinos, and that damages shall not be an adequate remedy for such breach, and that an injunction with damages and such other special or punitive award as shall be decided by the Courts shall be a just remedy for any funny business that any of you lot might try on."

Now then, on fees, I note I am still awaiting payment for my previous work and whilst one doesn't like to bring up the subject of money (cash, lucre, folding, readies, whatever you want to call it) but this year it is 'sue one, get one free' so I'm sure you'll see your way to putting me in funds old chaps?  Plus the £1000 for this piece of work (Copyright Law, dashed complicated and hence, I am sorry to say, rather expensive)

Toodle Pip

AS

Eh Abruzzi, come stai, tutto bene?

Look if you're going to speak in a foreign language, so am I.

Sorry to be a pain but your wonderful copyright document above is null and void, before we start. My surname is Meyers and not as above, so if you think you're getting a grand for that, think again old chap! I really do hope that you havnt procured all those rather extravagant items on the strength of mine and Chris's first payment to your good self. I'm afraid we could only probably stretch to a bottle of Lambrini, a lump of stale cheddar, 10 Rothmans (If they still exist?), an old lens floating about in a charity shop and an off the peg job at Primark, no expense spared on NW, oh no! And if I need a lawyer after that lot, I hope you'll be on hand!

Could I put you to further employ AS and ask for a definitive ruling and your learned opinion, on what constitutes snow? The Chislehurst branch of the Citizens Advice Bureau is closed on a Wednesday evening, before you answer, am I entitled to Legal Aid? 

You see the problem is we already have some wise guys (and gals) trying it on with various types of white substances. AS, I draw your attention to Biggins cobwebs, Snowbobs hail, Ali's white powder Posted Image (She could well need your services herself!) and not forgetting Lady T's frozen remnants (what's in your freezer Tams, not you honey!) Posted Image. I really would like to get this situation thrashed out before the competition starts.

You may want to consult the "Stare Decisis" case of the "Wrong Type of Snow" of Feb 1991. (Angry ofTunbridge Wells v. South-Eastern Region), to help you make a ruling.

I'll make it worth your while, we'll stretch to Lambrusco instead of Lambrini.

This really does require your urgent attention AS and I look forward to your prompt reply.

Fondest regards,

Thomas (Meyers, nota bene!).

• Like 5

Posted

Eh Abruzzi, come stai, tutto bene?

Look if you're going to speak in a foreign language, so am I.

Sorry to be a pain but your wonderful copyright document above is null and void, before we start. My surname is Meyers and not as above, so if you think you're getting a grand for that, think again old chap! I really do hope that you havnt procured all those rather extravagant items on the strength of mine and Chris's first payment to your good self. I'm afraid we could only probably stretch to a bottle of Lambrini, a lump of stale cheddar, 10 Rothmans (If they still exist?), an old lens floating about in a charity shop and an off the peg job at Primark, no expense spared on NW, oh no! And if I need a lawyer after that lot, I hope you'll be on hand!

Could I put you to further employ AS and ask for a definitive ruling and your learned opinion, on what constitutes snow? The Chislehurst branch of the Citizens Advice Bureau is closed on a Wednesday evening, before you answer, am I entitled to Legal Aid? 

You see the problem is we already have some wise guys (and gals) trying it on with various types of white substances. AS, I draw your attention to Biggins cobwebs, Snowbobs hail, Ali's white powder Posted Image (She could well need your services herself!) and not forgetting Lady T's frozen remnants (what's in your freezer Tams, not you honey!) Posted Image. I really would like to get this situation thrashed out before the competition starts.

You may want to consult the "Stare Decisis" case of the "Wrong Type of Snow" of Feb 1991. (Angry ofTunbridge Wells v. South-Eastern Region), to help you make a ruling.

I'll make it worth your while, we'll stretch to Lambrusco instead of Lambrini.

This really does require your urgent attention AS and I look forward to your prompt reply.

Fondest regards,

Thomas (Meyers, nota bene!).

Pah, clients, just coz you're Italian you think you can quote Latin at me and fob me off with Lambrusco. Asti Spumante con molto adagio to you too!

However, here's an online definition that seems to work:

"noun: snow

1. atmospheric water vapour frozen into ice crystals and falling in light white flakes or lying on the ground as a white layer"

However, the definition continues, in a way that may actually cause the teensiest bit of trouble:

"2. something resembling snow"

So I'd suggest you go with definition 1!

See, coz you're not paying me I have now resorted to copy and paste from the internet. Anyone need a suit, nice quality, hardly worn...

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Looking at the 500 mb height anomaly charts I just dont see either a return to zonal or a strong PV over

Greenland anytime soon.

The end of the ECM looked a little suspect.

post-9329-0-50231000-1389209691_thumb.gi

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost
Posted · Hidden by ZONE 51, January 11, 2014 - wrong place
Hidden by ZONE 51, January 11, 2014 - wrong place

post-11361-0-51362800-1389464910_thumb.g

You want snow now?  Posted Image 

Posted

The thread incarnation last year brought the first significant winter snow in the third week of January. Its calculated this year on a lagged basis for a cold spell to 'downwell' as we get into February...

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 7