Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Help with Davis VP2 data logger

Posted

Need a bit of help with my VP2 please.

I Recently had to send the solar panel back to McMurdo as the supercap needed replacing, also sent back my VP2 console to get up dated firmware (they offered so thought why not!). It came back not long after and all was ok, no more nights with no readings Posted Image Also had to replace the thermometer/humidity sensor on the Sensor Suite, which was bought elsewhere and installed myself with no difficulties (this was the second one I've had to replace Posted Image )

I left it all running for a few days to be certain everything was ok before connecting up to my pc, which I've now done. Problem I have is the inability to download any new data,  though the pc recognises the system is connected to it as the Bulletin window in Weatherlink shows my console data nicely. When I go to download it says there's 'no new data'. I've made sure the date/time correspond on the console and my pc, removed said data logger and tried re-installing after powering everything down; I've even set up a new station to see if there is any corrupt data that's upsetting my original station...all to no avail.

Only thing I can see is possibly an issue is to do with the baud rate. Weatherlink confirms it is set at 19200 however when I go through the set up process on the console (pressing 'done' and '-' buttons) there is no option to set the baud rate. Looking at the manual this should be the last screen the console offers before going back to the beginning (screen 14 after the 'rain season' screen).

Anyone else had issues similar to this or has updating the software caused something to go wrong. Or is the data logger not being recognised by the console and therefore doesn't offer to set the baud rate???

I would really appreciate any help or advice (going to send an email to Mcmurdo to see what they have to say).

Thanks for reading.

Martin

Posted

Has the firmware on your console been updated to 3.0.0 by any chance?

There's an issue where some older dataloggers do not work with this new firmware. The 3.0.0 firmware only works with newer 'green dot' dataloggers, which I'm guessing yours isn't especially if it had the supercap issue.

I've seen it floating around that consoles manufactured post-April 2006 have no issues with this newer firmware, so perhaps loggers made after this are 'green dot' ones

Edited by reef

Posted

Thanks for the reply, sorry not getting back sooner - rather typically I lost my internet connection for a few days!

Your prognosis looked promising but I've got 1.9 firmware installed! I bought the system in June 2006 so mine could have been manufactured prior to April, though I'm not certain.

Hope McMurdo can come up with a suitable answer

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Just an update in case anyone has a similar issue with the VP2 in the future....it turned out that my data logger had gone faulty. I have to say that McMurdo (the UK importer for Davis) have been absolutely brilliant dealing with my solar panel fault and then the data logger.

The VP2 is obviously an expensive piece of equipment but it certainly is worth it in the long run when the suppliers give such exemplary servicePosted Image