Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 19/11/2013 --->

Nick L

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

here is a cold jan 47 video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbaEJC_eLNw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Dry here temp 5c met office going for -1 tonight don't think so lol

C.S

Posted

A few sleety flakes showing on the M62 summit cam but shame the temps are just a couple of degs the wrong side of marginal.  This kind of setup a month or two down the line could be interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Bucketing down with rain here, the bit of sleety ness every now and then but that's about it. It's very heavy, rain pounding on the windows!

Posted

Yeah I don't know what you call it here wet snow with rain and hail and rain ha ha.

Same here not worth looking at! Even though you know it's not going to snow I keep looking at that bloody lamp post! Arrgghh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A few sleety flakes showing on the M62 summit cam but shame the temps are just a couple of degs the wrong side of marginal.  This kind of setup a month or two down the line could be interesting.

Pretty much the same here, definite sleet and wet flakes in the mix but no settling.Temperature at 2.8c and only dropping at the rate of petrol prices so I think this is as good as it gets, certainly at my altitude.Maybe a mile up the road and three hundred feet higher asl things are different but certainly aren't going up there to check.
  • Like 1

Posted

Yep, got the cold rain here too now, I know if those of you 'higher' up the road so-to-speak are not getting anything wintry, then I certainly won't be getting it lol

Strange lot we are... we know there's going to be a lot 'better' opportunities and setups for snowy weather as we go into winter properly, and yet the merest whiff of a crystallised raindrop and we're on red alert lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Yep, got the cold rain here too now, I know if those of you 'higher' up the road so-to-speak are not getting anything wintry, then I certainly won't be getting it lol Strange lot we are... we know there's going to be a lot 'better' opportunities and setups for snowy weather as we go into winter properly, and yet the merest whiff of a crystallised raindrop and we're on red alert lol

Haha true! Though I always find the first snow of the season is more exciting having not seen it for months.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Yep, got the cold rain here too now, I know if those of you 'higher' up the road so-to-speak are not getting anything wintry, then I certainly won't be getting it lol Strange lot we are... we know there's going to be a lot 'better' opportunities and setups for snowy weather as we go into winter properly, and yet the merest whiff of a crystallised raindrop and we're on red alert lol

True but even the promise of a failed snow event beats watching that damn jungle crap and all the other vote off rubbish we're told we enjoy.Still sleet here and still 2.7c.
  • Like 1

Posted

just drove over the tops and back to marsden. it is snowing loads over the tops and into marsden, got to go back in 45 mins Posted Image

Edited by whitewitch

Posted

Haha true! Though I always find the first snow of the season is more exciting having not seen it for months.

Yep that true, looks like we'll have to wait a wee while until we can tick off the first snow event for the North West thread - High Pressure on the way end of week and into next..

True but even the promise of a failed snow event beats watching that damn jungle crap and all the other vote off rubbish we're told we enjoy.

Still sleet here and still 2.7c.

...must admit the 'only' reality TV program I would watch is Celeb Jungle, and just because of Ant and Dec mainly... anyway we got the Ashes later Posted Image

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

According to the radar, the heaviest rain is currently over my immediate area but strangely enough sod all of interest is happening outside.

Even the temperature has stopped falling.

Posted

Temp slowly dropping 2.1C. Still pounding with rain, don't think it will drop low enough to turn to snow

Posted

Looks like our side of the Pennines has missed out again with large areas of Yorkshire reporting heavy snow and colder temperatures.

Just needed that slight westward (as they say in the southern threads) correction and bingo but I think we're out of luck.

However plenty of time between now and spring for us to get lucky.

Posted

Looks like our side of the Pennines has missed out again with large areas of Yorkshire reporting heavy snow and colder temperatures.Just needed that slight westward (as they say in the southern threads) correction and bingo but I think we're out of luck.However plenty of time between now and spring for us to get lucky.

Yeah happens quite a lot, but that's just geography!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Looks like our side of the Pennines has missed out again with large areas of Yorkshire reporting heavy snow and colder temperatures.Just needed that slight westward (as they say in the southern threads) correction and bingo but I think we're out of luck.However plenty of time between now and spring for us to get lucky.

It's actually just turned to snow around the Milnrow area of Rochdale, not sticking though.

Posted

It's actually just turned to snow around the Milnrow area of Rochdale, not sticking though.

Precipitation isn't really the problem now as the main area has moved slightly west of south and into the eastern parts of our region but the colder air just hasn't reached those areas so even with decent altitude such as myself it's to warm for anything to stick.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Precipitation isn't really the problem now as the main area has moved slightly west of south and into the eastern parts of our region but the colder air just hasn't reached those areas so even with decent altitude such as myself it's to warm for anything to stick.

Yes that would explain why east of the Pennines the snow has stuck, dew points and temps look lower there too on the weather stations.

Posted

Yes that would explain why east of the Pennines the snow has stuck, dew points and temps look lower there too on the weather stations.

As was mentioned earlier, it occurs quite often in winter and the Pennines seem to act as a dam to hold the cold air to the east with the milder stuff back west.It's always amazed me how hills little more than 1500 feet high can cause such variations in weather conditions but they constantly do.
  • Like 1