Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18th Nov.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

One of the best Northerly charts yet! 

If we can keep this trend going, and place the high further up more into Greenland, then it could be an early winter whiteout big time.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well the shortwave at T166 over Iceland, now over East Anglia by T192

Posted Image

Band of heavy snow moving south across the UK

Got to be worth a BOOM!!!

Then again, should the models do their usual, we might enjoy optimal conditions for seeing whatever's left of Comet ISON?

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2013112912/ECF0-216.GIF?29-0

Day 4 still V cold.  - Although the shower train will be gone- Any snow cover would remain Posted Image

Midwest low at 144 was a lot faster on the ECM than the UKMO- so still time to change.

Interesting to see any scandi push at 244 for heigher heights.

S

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 6

Posted

be wary though, coming up to first anniversary of 'that ECM' completely different setup I know, but about the same at 168 hours

That's exactly what I was just thinking!  Never forgiven the ECM for that but lets see if it can make up for it a year later lol!

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

At 216hrs with the high over/near us ie clear skies possible and light winds there could be lows of -10C in those places which saw the snowfall at 192hrs especially higher ground:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow or stormy...colder the better

and grinding to a halt or petering out before it reaches East Anglia knowing my luck lol :(

• Like 2

Posted

That snow bringing low could very, very easily vanish again on the 0Z, but the overall output from the ECM is very good, and as long as we get a setup like that then at least the potential for a polar low type of feature to develop will be there anyway.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

t240 sees the coldest air gone into eastern Europe, high pressure back in control with clear sky at night some sharp frosts would occur especially in any rural areas with snow cover, surface temps would remain cold given the cold air proceeding it

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2013112912/ECH1-240.GIF?29-0

Whilst the UK gets some slightly warmer uppers the 'toppler' crew will need to be wary that this isn't toppling..

Best run of the winter thus far tonight from the ECM....

S

That snow bringing low could very, very easily vanish again on the 0Z, but the overall output from the ECM is very good, and as long as we get a setup like that then at least the potential for a polar low type of feature to develop will be there anyway.

Did you know that low is on the ECM @ 96 hours?

S

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

That was a very good run of the ECM and more than I would expect at this time of year. As a child of the mid-late 90s and early 2000s, 3-4 days of cold would be mega long in my books if it were not for the last 4 or 5 years, so these charts are exactly what I am looking for this winter! Even in the last chart there is long term potential as high pressure ridges into Scandinavia

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

t240 sees the coldest air gone into eastern Europe, high pressure back in control with clear sky at night some sharp frosts would occur especially in any rural areas with snow cover

Posted ImagePosted Image

Yes, HP back in charge for a couple of days before moving on again...

Edited by Glenn W
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Posted Image

Well that's not too bad, not going anywhere near a return to zonality with a deep Atlantic trough, decent chance to at least make an attempt to build heights to the north east.

Great run overall.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted

Clear skies and long nights, combined with cold surface air and snow fields in places means that frosts will be inevitable. Obviously clear skies are needed for this to happen

EDIT - Glenn for some reason it didn't quote your whole post but I hope you get what I was directing my remark at haha!

Edited by Joe Levy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Excuse me if I'm wrong, more experienced posters may correct me, but it's mainly due to inversion I think - The cold air is more dense so sinks below the warmer upper air temperatures, leaving us cold at ground level.  This happens when very cold air is particularly entrenched Posted Image

Edit - Oops, not sure what happened there!

Edited by weatherguy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Can we get a new thread for the ECM this one is getting a bit big.

For the Newbies

28 hrs and 58 minutes away from the start of winter I don't think we will see a new thread yet, its currently Autumn and things are calm and quite on here at present.Posted Image

1st December is the start of the 'winter proper' and then we get Aspirations/desperations/hopecasting/IBMY/

Cannon fodder/poor/epic/bin/FI wont happen/will happen/shortwave/depression/call it longwave/T384 charts/upgrades/downgrades/  and utter mayhem /sleepless nights/other half who doesn't understand types of model watching.It gets serious

By the 2nd December it starts all over again.Posted Image

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 9

Posted

Clear skies and long nights, combined with cold surface air and snow fields in places means that frosts will be inevitable. Obviously clear skies are needed for this to happen

EDIT - Glenn for some reason it didn't quote your whole post but I hope you get what I was directing my remark at haha!

Haha, Sorry Joe it was a tongue in cheek remark :-P

• Like 1

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2013112912/ECH1-240.GIF?29-0 Whilst the UK gets some slightly warmer uppers the 'toppler' crew will need to be wary that this isn't toppling.. Best run of the winter thus far tonight from the ECM.... S

Complete conjecture at this stage of course, but would you expect the high to take a trip to see Father Christmas in Lapland?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

@T240 all the polar vortex is being sucked towards Canada. Can`t remember the last time I saw that. Have no idea what that means in weather terms for us. thanks in advance for any input!

Posted Image

Complete conjecture at this stage of course, but would you expect the high to take a trip to see Father Christmas in Lapland?

THe angle & split flow is huge-

Atlantic trough digging towards the azores, high pressure ridging towards Svalbard & a couple of trigger shortwaves in central Europe to push the cold west-

I think the 264 chart would see as a MINIMUM the 0c line sitting in the SE corner with a continental drift, its after that we would need to see it develop.

A good ECM tonight- & plenty of excitement in the output- If I lived in Western Scotland or the NW I would expect to at least see some of the white stuff next week!S 

• Like 7

Posted

THe angle & split flow is huge-

Atlantic trough digging towards the azores, high pressure ridging towards Svalbard & a couple of trigger shortwaves in central Europe to push the cold west-

I think the 264 chart would see as a MINIMUM the 0c line sitting in the SE corner with a continental drift, its after that we would need to see it develop.

A good ECM tonight- & plenty of excitement in the output- If I lived in Western Scotland or the NW I would expect to at least see some of the white stuff next week!S 

Anyone who has ever studied geography and tectonics will know that continental drift can mean something completely different :p if we need tectonics to get cold air then we have no chance... :D 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heatwave, Thunderstorms

I'm here in Budapest, Austria and Prague till next Sunday so hopefully I'll be guaranteed some snow somewhere either here or the UK.

Posted

ECM t240 chart full of eastern promise but at 10 day range it could be very different

come the morning. Very cold and snowy run from the ECM tonight and if these charts

verified most of the country would be affected by the wintry weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, sun, thunder, storms, frosts, summer heatwaves.

Upgrades are required as we move into the reliable for a northerly of disruptive powerPosted Image