Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18th Nov.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

Brian Gaze going for a gradual warm up as we head into December.

although a split ENS the majority are heading mild

Posted Image

Will 18z be another downgrade??

...as is the further outlook from the met office. That said, temperatures are forecast to remain on the colder side of average for next week with a gradual return to average as we head into December. Could be a lot worse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

I couldnt get that GP thumbnail to be big enough, so did some jiggery pokery and got it working in a fresh post. Quite a good, basic way of understanding what the GWO plots mean for us.

post-12735-0-65003600-1384897137_thumb.j

Edited by Catacol_Highlander
  • Like 4

Posted

Regarding the upcoming high pressure potential spell, my only question would be how much cloud will there be and this will determine how much frost and fog there actually be but its nice too see we are heading into a settled spell of weather though. One is hoping cloud amounts won't be huge but I do feel in Eastern areas, it could be quite a cloudy weekend overall with limited frost and fog. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Not exactly a raging polar vortex, quite the opposite in fact. Based on such charts, the general trend for high latitude blocking on the CFS etc I'd say we're in quite a comfortable position as we head into winter, whether we're under fog, frost, snow, rain or hail come the end of the month. 

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

I couldnt get that GP thumbnail to be big enough, so did some jiggery pokery and got it working in a fresh post. Quite a good, basic way of understanding what the GWO plots mean for us.

Posted Imagegwo_40d.JPG

Good thread here from 2008:

Gwo And Global Angular Momentum - The netweather guides... - Netweather Community Forums

• Like 3

Posted

Heights pushing back up towards Greenland in deep FI. T330

Posted

Sadly the GFS 18hrs run continues the trend of less amplification upstream so no shortwave ejected se and the PV starts gathering to the north in the latter stages of the higher resolution output.

The lower resolution is a horror show for cold lovers and thankfully well into the future, before then after this initial shortwave has cleared se it looks to dry up with some frost and fog.

• Like 1

Posted

Yep, I think I need a drink to forget that run Posted Image

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Yes that GFS lower resolution is dreadful, if the horror show started at the twilight zone part of the output then you could just dismiss it as the typical GFS post 240hrs nonsense but the buzzards begin to circle earlier. Lets hope for better tomorrow.

• Like 2

Posted

this type of post is simply silly in my view, you are of course entitled to that view but can we please have some factual evidence that you have based this comment on please?

Anyway I've seen enough to convince me that and colder spell is not likely this side of Christmas got an awfully bad feeling about this winter full stop.

And I would make the same comment had it been that winter was going to be mild throughout.

NO ONE knows beyond mid December to any real degree of certainty, maybe 50-60% that far. Beyond that and we are into using very complex seasonal model outputs which are still very much in their infancy.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Can we avoid speculation and crystal ball gazing and stick to what the models are actually showing please folks.

A few recent posts are more suited to the moans and ramps threads thread and are not for here.They have been removed.

Thanks all.

• Like 2

Posted

To those who suggest/hope that the runs tomorrow might be better=why, and even if they do will they likely be more accurate?

For what it is worth, perhaps not much for some of you, the anomaly charts are pretty clear on what is going to happen for about 2 weeks. That is for an upper ridge to dominate for most of the time, but with still some doubt over how much of the time it will dominate. There is still a small, perhaps very small probability, of a short lived polar outbreak. Then after 14-maybe 18 days the Atlantic 500mb flow seems likely to take over? Or so it seems based on the last 2-3 days output. Who knows they may start to show this as just a blip 3-4 days down the line. I have never seen the AO and NAO so variable as they show today and have no idea why they are so variable. Anyone any suggestions as to why? The MJO continues to show no guidance at either the actual or forecast level with it close to the zero area throughout. Hence my question about the AO and NAO. Or are they simply showing what the synoptic models are-uncertainty? I am not a great believer in them beyond about day 7 even for guidance but their variability as I've just said is unusual or at least the degree of it shown today.

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

An atrocious chart for cold lovers in FI

Posted Image

Maybe a brief toppler at the end

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

An atrocious chart for cold lovers in FI

Posted Image

Maybe a brief toppler at the end

Posted Image

It is but it isn't worth worrying about really. 

I still think there is enough uncertainty in the ensembles from the mid range to just about hold our interest.

Pure speculation here but it is based on ensemble data.

All the odds are against any deep cold and snow chances turning up for start of December and there is no signal for it but I'm not giving up until the ensembles predominantly show a more zonal flow in hi res.

There is still a very small chance of something turning up between day 6 and 9 but if not I think GFS may be starting to find a pattern change around day 10/11 from the mid latitude blocking around the UK.

At the moment it seems to be split as to whether to try and build heights over Scandinavia or a dig a trough down either through the UK or just West of the UK with a more amplified pattern behind so the waters are very muddied.

Since patterns tend to repeat themselves though I wouldn't be surprised if we were looking at another mid Atlantic ridge early December.

If that very weak signal disappears over the next couple of days rather than strengthens I will take a break and recharge my batteries but until then the outpput will hold my interest.

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Hmmm I know its the GFS, the 18z and im looking at FI but there are some trends appearing at +360hrs. Some of the members want to rebuild pressure in the Atlantic with a N/NW developing for the UK.
http://176.31.229.228/modeles/gens/run/gens-0-1-360.png
http://176.31.229.228/modeles/gens/run/gens-2-1-360.png
http://176.31.229.228/modeles/gens/run/gens-6-1-360.png
http://176.31.229.228/modeles/gens/run/gens-11-1-360.png
http://176.31.229.228/modeles/gens/run/gens-15-1-360.png
http://176.31.229.228/modeles/gens/run/gens-16-1-360.png
http://176.31.229.228/modeles/gens/run/gens-17-1-360.png
http://176.31.229.228/modeles/gens/run/gens-18-1-360.png
http://176.31.229.228/modeles/gens/run/gens-19-1-360.png
http://176.31.229.228/modeles/gfs/run/gfs-0-360.png

Ensemble at 384hrs:

Posted Image

Notice some of the heights heading towards Greenland and the trough still present over Europe? I think its definitely worth watching for the next 'potential' as the next couple of weeks will see HP dominate with frost,fog,sunshine and crisp days.

Posted Image

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

There are no guarantees of what's coming, but I think that what we've had so far this month and how the models are shaping up the rest of it to be is not so far removed from what November 1962 was.That's not to say we've got a December like it to follow, but i don't think anyone who was privy to the information we have at our disposal nowadays would have seen what was in store back then...just as no one can know now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Amazing how we were sucked into the ECM FI. In fact a 180 turn from the model showing above average uppers in that range now: post-14819-0-14034600-1384930488_thumb.g

Compared to the 18th!!! For around the same time: post-14819-0-98882700-1384930597_thumb.g

The 0z at T240:

GFS: post-14819-0-26886900-1384930667_thumb.p ECM: post-14819-0-24778600-1384930685_thumb.g

The GFS mean at T240 backs the op: post-14819-0-75776100-1384930731_thumb.p

So the sinking high trend showing yesterday continues. The ECM op has less zonal but on recent adjustments I suspect they will follow the GFS route in due course.

Gem at T240 (same synoptics): post-14819-0-42260200-1384930920_thumb.p UKMO: post-14819-0-25507800-1384930937_thumb.g

Of course anything can happen with our weather but looking solid from the models for average/cool dry 7-10 days followed by a trend for lower heights to edge in from the north and a more westerly flow setting in.

• Like 2

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Osbourne One-Nil, November 20, 2013 - Whilst I personally agree, sounds a bit like point scoring to me, and must result in a severe reprimand.
Hidden by Osbourne One-Nil, November 20, 2013 - Whilst I personally agree, sounds a bit like point scoring to me, and must result in a severe reprimand.

Maybe some members will stop bashing the GFS now? ECM has been awful recently and the UKMO not much better.

• Like 3
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
Posted · Hidden by Osbourne One-Nil, November 20, 2013 - Model thread, not "what Matt Hugo says might happent" thread,
Hidden by Osbourne One-Nil, November 20, 2013 - Model thread, not "what Matt Hugo says might happent" thread,

as matt hugo said in the strat thread looks likely that a more alantic dominated outlook this side of Christmas so temps returning to more normal values after a pretty settled spell I suspect we will start to see heights start slipping away to our south in future model runs.

but for now for several days atleast dry cool and settled.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!
Posted · Hidden by Osbourne One-Nil, November 20, 2013 - Whilst I personally agree, sounds a bit like point scoring to me, and must result in a severe reprimand.
Hidden by Osbourne One-Nil, November 20, 2013 - Whilst I personally agree, sounds a bit like point scoring to me, and must result in a severe reprimand.

Maybe some members will stop bashing the GFS now? ECM has been awful recently and the UKMO not much better.

...........certainly reminds me of a football match where a team has scored two quick goals......"It's all gone quiet over there!!!"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 00z mean shows a prolonged spell of settled weather on the way as high pressure builds in across the uk, there will be widespread frosts and fog will become the main hazard, the fine spell should last until at least the end of next week for most of the uk but as the high begins to slip south, the far northwest / north are likely to turn more unsettled, windier and milder with atlantic weather piling in but the fine, benign and chilly spell looks like persisting longest towards the south / se...probably into early Dec, high pressure remaining close to the south.

post-4783-0-30326200-1384933445_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-68492900-1384933452_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-99579900-1384933459_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Ecm 00z op run shows a prolonged spell of rather chilly anticyclonic weather but the high eventually pulls back further into the atlantic to the west/sw of the uk with lowering heights to the nw/n and even before the end of the run, northern britain is turning windier and more unsettled as atlantic weather invades..the Ecm has been a disaster.

post-4783-0-73749600-1384934370_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-48427500-1384934393_thumb.gi

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 2

Morning All

A decidedly poor outlook from the models overnight with a tight circulation building up over the pole signalling the end to any thoughts of polar blocking -

Looks like on this occasion the ECMs long term vision was wrong and the MOGREPS / DECIDER models were correct-

You win some. You lose some. The ensemble

Mean is going to look horrid today and wont msje comfortable viewing if its cold your looking for ....

S

• Like 4