Sign in to follow this  
Andy H

Cancelling an event, our rights?

Need a little bit of help and advice

My wife runs the local school PTFA raising funds for this school, recently a member of the committee attended a race night, and thought this would be a good idea for an event to be held at the school, she approached the guy running it, and got his number and prices

After talking to the rest of the committee and all agreeing it might be a good night and a good money raiser, they called and booked him, now unfortunately tickets were slow on the up take, so the descion was made to cancel the avent a week before it was to go ahead

Now, no contracts were signed, we were never pointed to his website, and never told of his cancelation policy! He is demanding full payment £225, now don't get me wrong we all feel a bit for the guy if he had turned down bookings, but he is being completly unreasonable, and abusive! The girl who booked him is heavily pregnant, and he is emailing her with abusive emails, demanding money from her personally or he will take her to court!!

So my question is what are our rights? It's not as if we are doing this for personal gain, just to provide our school with extra funds to help our children

no contract and if he is sending abusive emails I would call the police and make this a case ASAP.

SHe is carrying child and getting the police involved costs you nothing but will get this process underway to resolve this.

definitely contact the police, abusive emails depending on language used could be construed as a public order offence, Police may issue a PIN, or at least visit and ask him to tone it down and use the proper channels (courts etc) but with no contract in place, difficult to enforce any alledged agreements, sounds like a bully to me.

• Like 1

The money and the emails are two separate issues really. The money side is maybe not in your favour as in law (as I understand it) a verbal agreement is still binding, so if you agreed the booking and fee and didn't discuss any cancellation fees or terms then you may well be liable to pay.

Re the emails, I think it depends on just how abusive you mean, if it's bad then yes the police are an option I'm sure. Beyond that, the best option would surely be an amicable agreement though? Can someone else take on the communications with him, could the school help?

Paul

Your right the emails and money are separate issues, I must admit i thought even a verbal contract you need to inform and go through your T&C? I have only really found out about this tonight, and my first reaction was that poor guy has maybe turned down bookings, and lost some income from it, but he keeps on about the costs he has occurred, I cannot see how any costs were occurred from a race night? Loss of earnings yes

The emails are more directed at the girl that booked it, just very nasty! Telling her he is taking her to court, and she is going to pay all the interest, and all court costs, and he does not care if she booked it on behalf of the committee, she is liable for all the costs! I suppose scaremongering is a better way of putting it, but to a heavily pregnant women, she is scared, and is close to just paying it herself!

I have told her tonight to cancel her email account, it's only one she uses for committee work, and to email him telling him to send all correspondence to my email address!

I am considering offering him £100 as a way of compensating him, and a gesture of goodwill, as I really do not want the school or PTFA to be dragged through all this, they all work hard to organise avents and raise money for the school without this over their heads!

Go to Citizen's Advice with any relevent material. They'll advise on the ins and outs of what might be due to him under a verbal contract (given my experience as a freelancer - stuff all) and whether his emails constitute threatening behaviour in law and whether the police should be involved. I have no knowledge in the field at all, but would suggest that offering him money would be tantamount to admitting liability and should be avoided until you've talked to someone with experience in the field.

• Like 1