Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 13/11/13 >

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

I'm hungover and feeling exceptionally sorry for myself.

Can someone tell me the latest picture I haven't checked the charts since Friday's Disappointment 

Thanks

gfs is pretty average but ukmo and ecm are better.nothing exceptional tho atm and certainly not worth sitting and watching if your steaming with a hangover chief!""Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Suprising upgrade on ecm .Good 850s too but no doubt it will have gone come 7-00 pm todayPosted Image

Posted

I have news and I don't think it's great if you re looking for a big greeny block. I have been troubled for days by the fact that despite the spreads indicating blocking in se greeny in week 2, we fail to get any runs that build a proper sustained block there. doing the maths on the spreads, I now realise that the signature that would normally show a high height propensity against the mean is actually showing the opposite! The clustering must be low pressure!!! In that regard, the current week 2 trend towards mid lat block close to the UK and possibly over scandi/ to our north is very reasonable. Couple that with deep lows approaching se Greenland and the risk of the pattern being over run increases markedly from where I was sitting yesterday. However the euro trough should ensure we stay cool to cold under a continental or stagnant flow of some type.

The added caveat that if the pattern over th arctic is amenable, a feature like that could push some serious WAA if blocking manages to hold it. It then becomes almost self sustaining as WAA keeps the block in place. even more fascinating than I thought!,

EDIT: and now, having trawled through the gem ens and reviewing the gefs, I have to say that it's feasible that there could be a high spread on naefs in that area as its mean is less amplified than ECM. Actually, I didn't have a hangover when I got up but I have one now!!!

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Yep can't help but feel that the models are going away from a cold setup now each run is more watered down version of the one before, I mean this week has been colder with some frosts and it looks the same as next week so no real change, I so hope we get some upgrades in the next runs.

Posted

Sadly the UKMO backtracks this morning, the shortwave further east and the big 3 agree on a more developed shortwave running south down the North Sea, this has a large warm sector so any snow looks limited to perhaps the backedge as it clears and more especially on higher ground.

After that the high ridges over the UK but at T144hrs more chaos is likely to ensue as the models take a different view of things. The ECM by far the best from a cold perspective but it's hard to have too much faith in any of the operational output at present. If I had to judge them on their first cold snap modelling of the season it would be fails across the board!

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Looks like the models have finally nailed the LP feature from Iceland, and not a good track on Wednesday:

post-14819-0-29922900-1384672315_thumb.g

The UK in the warm sector as it slides south to our east.

No model consistency from then on as all the models go in different direction. eg T168:

post-14819-0-92904800-1384672637_thumb.g

post-14819-0-04666300-1384672651_thumb.p

post-14819-0-24416700-1384672665_thumb.p

post-14819-0-31196000-1384672682_thumb.p

All similar themes with the Atlantic locked out and some sort of MLB trying to move N, NW, NE.

Potential for further down the line but thats all at the moment; cool to cold in the medium term.

Posted

I have news and I don't think it's great if you re looking for a big greeny block. I have been troubled for days by the fact that despite the spreads indicating blocking in se greeny in week 2, we fail to get any runs that build a proper sustained block there. doing the maths on the spreads, I now realise that the signature that would normally show a high height propensity against the mean is actually showing the opposite! The clustering must be low pressure!!! In that regard, the current week 2 trend towards mid lat block close to the UK and possibly over scandi/ to our north is very reasonable. Couple that with deep lows approaching se Greenland and the risk of the pattern being over run increases markedly from where I was sitting yesterday. However the euro trough should ensure we stay cool to cold under a continental or stagnant flow of some type. The added caveat that if the pattern over th arctic is amenable, a feature like that could push some serious WAA if blocking manages to hold it. It then becomes almost self sustaining as WAA keeps the block in place. even more fascinating than I thought!,EDIT: and now, having trawled through the gem ens and reviewing the gefs, I have to say that it's feasible that there could be a high spread on naefs in that area as its mean is less amplified than ECM. Actually, I didn't have a hangover when I got up but I have one now!!!

what does that last paragraph mean for us bluearmy??sorry am a bit slow this morning only had 4 hour sleep.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

I have news and I don't think it's great if you re looking for a big greeny block. I have been troubled for days by the fact that despite the spreads indicating blocking in se greeny in week 2, we fail to get any runs that build a proper sustained block there. doing the maths on the spreads, I now realise that the signature that would normally show a high height propensity against the mean is actually showing the opposite! The clustering must be low pressure!!! In that regard, the current week 2 trend towards mid lat block close to the UK and possibly over scandi/ to our north is very reasonable. Couple that with deep lows approaching se Greenland and the risk of the pattern being over run increases markedly from where I was sitting yesterday. However the euro trough should ensure we stay cool to cold under a continental or stagnant flow of some type. The added caveat that if the pattern over th arctic is amenable, a feature like that could push some serious WAA if blocking manages to hold it. It then becomes almost self sustaining as WAA keeps the block in place. even more fascinating than I thought!,

I think u could well be right each and every day the lower pressure seems to be collapsing the whole pattern slowly but surely with strong vortex and strong jet profile not favouring heights in and around Greenland intact if we were to roll back through winters after 09/10 this has been the general theme,every winter since 09/10 has shown mega block with Greenland heights not one true Greenland high has dominated our winter since although we have had close calls but normally turning out west of Greenland.But it's rather frustrating that the models have since that winter consistently model blocking Around this area only to be wrong.Although we have low heights into Europe I just don't see a way forward its a mess to be honest and I see feel that with in the next 5 days the heights sliding away se into Europ. Allow for a soggy December although not mild average but it seems it's fail fail situation.I really don't see anything impressive yes cold Next week and considering the time of year it's pretty good but it's nothing that's a bonus for the start of winter pattern.

Posted

In response to "I'm dreaming of" - actually, if you leave GFS out of the equation, I think a kind of pattern is there on your charts - the others all show higher pressure around Iceland stretching into the Atlantic and over towards Scandinavia - and a trough dropping through Scandi. What ever else happens, we remain on the cold side of the High.

Posted

this  should  make the snow lovers happy for  Tue/Wednesday

post-4629-0-26828600-1384674106_thumb.gi

• Like 3

Posted

West, he was referring to a warm sector in a shortwave. Nothing else. Shaky, it means we are fairly clueless which way we go through week 2 and beyond. We could end up zonal to our nw by the back end of nov or be in the middle of a sustained v cold spell ( and all options Inbetween!)

• Like 1

Posted

Just goes to show how much of a joke the fax charts are...everyone jumped for joy when it backed the UKMO output last night. Now it Matches the latest UKMO run. When will people learn that 99.9% of the time the fax IS the UKMO output just in a different format. This week looks a bit disappointing now on the snow front unless your on very high ground. Wednesday looks awfull with cold rain for most.

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted

this  should  make the snow lovers happy for  Tue/Wednesday

look at that ppn over biscay, exsact shape of Greenland, is that a purple iceland over Spanish border with france lol. Even the orientation is the same as greenland on the map
  • Like 1

Posted

look at that ppn over biscay, exsact shape of Greenland, is that a purple iceland over Spanish border with france lol. Even the orientation is the same as greenland on the map

Exactly what i was thinking you beat me to it PMSL!!

LO

Posted

Tinybill, pennys dropped, you have overlayed the ice and snow from an exstent chart of the nh and coloured it purple,,,,, my slow lolol

Posted

Just goes to show how much of a joke the fax charts are...everyone jumped for joy when it backed the UKMO output last night. Now it Matches the latest UKMO run. When will people learn that 99.9% of the time the fax IS the UKMO output just in a different format. This week looks a bit disappointing now on the snow front unless your on very high ground. Wednesday looks awfull with cold rain for most.

Realistically the fax charts are best used at short range for detail, personally I find them of little use past 72hrs as they're just as liable to change as the general NWP. I agree regarding the coming week for the UK, nothing special in terms of wintry weather, perhaps some snow for higher elevations and a few wintry showers as the shortwave clears. Some frost and possibly fog and then a big question mark as to what happens past 144hrs.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Just when you think you have learnt how to read the models, I read many posts and end up looking at the ipad like an inquisitive dog with its head going from side to side.

The output up to t 96 to my mind is good and in fairly good agreement. What happens after is still not agreed on. ECM after is lovely, UKMO is ok and GFS is not as good. SM has said time and time GFS has a habit of flattening the pattern and I would agree.

Our hobby of viewing output is about as interesting as it can get. Uncertainty makes it all the more interesting. It also helps for future learning. Which ever way it goes ie GFS or ECM we will be able to look at the reasons and learn from it.

• Like 4

Posted

As expected UKMO is the model playing catch up this morning, with a more easterly track now being progged for Weds system. As a result there now pretty good agreement that a sizable warm sector (that's what it is WestIsBest) will slip south across the UK midweek, so after a cold day on Tuesday with wintry showers it's rain for many on Wednesday, with any snow largely confined to Scotland.  Thereafter there is again pretty good agreement that pressure will build from the north, keeping things very much on the cold side, with frost and fog becoming the main hazards...so all in all very acceptable considering the time of year and even more so considering how things looked at the start of Nov.

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

I think at this stage the best we can hope for is a continuing mid Atlantic block or the high pressure

to sit over the Uk. The last thing we need is a scandi high that would keep that area above average

and pump mild air exactly where we don't want it this early in the season. Unfortunately I think a

Scandi high could be where we are heading.

Shotski

• Like 1

Posted

I don't put much faith in the fax's 99.9% of the time they are identical to the UKMO raw output and chop and change with every run. Btw A few Meto folks were tweeting earlier that they didn't buy the UKMO as it was more extreme than any other model and too far west with the front on weds

The fax charts are not identical to the UKMO runs. Senior forecasters take the UKMO chart along with any other data the feel is relevant to make the fax charts. They are the only "human" generated charts and are widely seen as "the best". 100's of marinas and thousands of sailors around the UK are sent the fax charts daily to use as reliable weather forecasting. People wouldnt risk their lives on the whim of the gfs or ecm.
  • Like 4