Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 13/11/13 >

Posted

Stope teasing us Ian Posted Image Whats the story into December !?!?!?

It means December is too far away to even discuss in model terms!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

I guess that average will feel relatively mild, the point I'm trying to make is the met office in nov 2010 had an emphatically high confidence of repeated cold blasts from the north and east but this time there is nothing remotely like that indicated, I'm just keeping it real rather than giving false hope. :-)

No where in the further outlook do they say it will return to average. Nor do they even say near average. They said "nearer to average" ie warmer than the previous period when they forecast wintry showers in the SE and Cold in the NW (ie a cold period).

Also not to forget that "average" in December is colder than average in November.

Edited by SomeLikeItHot

Posted

To clarify: MOGREPS merely veers the E/SE faster than EC. There's no suggestion of 'mild', merely return to average. Moreover, UKMO analysis is focused on next 10d (to 15 at a push). The story into December is another matter.

When is the switch to milder weather going to happen according to the Met Office? The way it's been said here makes it sound worrying but if it's around week 2 of December then it would make a lot more sense. With the vortex expected to split, zonal should surely be out of the question for the next 2-3 weeks, especially as the position of the split is a favorable one for our location.

Posted

EC ensembles, 36 out of 51 go for pressure rises to the NW by next weekend.

How far NW though? High pressure just to the NW of Scotland/N Ireland can result in relatively mild, cloudy conditions for most if not all of the UK. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

No where in the further outlook do they say it will return to average. Nor do they even say near average. They said "nearer to average" ie warmer than the previous period when they forecast wintry showers in the SE and Cold in the NW (ie a cold period).

Also not to forget that "average" in December is colder than average in November.

That's splitting hairs, the met office are indicating a return to average zonal type weather further into dec, sooner than that across the north of the uk. The Ecm with it's freezer further outlook is leading people up the garden path but I have smelled the coffee and supporting the met office line. :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

That's splitting hairs, the met office are indicating a return to average zonal type weather further into dec, sooner than that across the north of the uk. The Ecm with it's freezer further outlook is leading people up the garden path but I have smelled the coffee and supporting the met office line. :-)

Frosty, you seem to have turned from an extremely optimistic person to an extremely pessimistic person overnight. The Met Office, as Fergie has said are not confident in something what may or may not happen in 10+ days time. I see no reason at all to think we will return to zonal weather looking at the various model outputs.

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Mucka, November 18, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Mucka, November 18, 2013 - No reason given

What has right to do with it?Posted Image

Correct. They're rightly more focused on this week rather than speculating on something at T+240 outbound!

Edited by Mucka
Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Methuselah, November 18, 2013 - oh dear
Hidden by Methuselah, November 18, 2013 - oh dear

How far NW though? High pressure just to the NW of Scotland/N Ireland can result in relatively mild, cloudy conditions for most if not all of the UK. 

Have a look at the models for yourself Shedhead and posts some charts to show your point. I would but on my phone. Really bored of you undermining everyone on this forum, you know exactly what high pressure to NW means - towards Greenland. That is the current theme being debating at the momment, especially the differences between the GFS and ECM where the high goes.

Edited by MPG
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Cross model, are by far in atm in logger heads more so with the finer details mid/long term I think time on the develops with regards, via any zonal or extensions regard below average and precips type etc.Thinking point towards a more aligned agreement soon...I'm not saying where I personaly feel we will end up.! For the fact of leaving one self open to ridicule....

• Like 1

Posted

? Towards Greenland - the current theme being debating on the recent output. GFS compared to EC.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

To clarify: MOGREPS merely veers the E/SE faster than EC. There's no suggestion of 'mild', merely return to average. Moreover, UKMO analysis is focused on next 10d (to 15 at a push). The story into December is another matter.

Fergie, good to have this information.

Regarding the return to average but the veer from the SE, how effective is the MOGREPS in being able to forecast inversions given the likely-hood of them under a continued high pressure scenario,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the Ecm 00z ensemble mean we see a conflict by the weekend between what it shows and the experts view which is for the north to become fine with overnight fog but the mean shows another freshening of the N'ly airflow during next weekend with wintry showers pushing down the north sea coastal areas from the northern isles down to kent with the anticyclone centred further west...........and, there is no sign of the high sinking south on the ens mean as the experts described, so, the ecm mean is already out of sync by the weekend onwards with the ecm showing a very prolonged spell of rather cold benign weather and no sign of any atlantic breakdown looking remotely possible.

post-4783-0-67411600-1384786526_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-80042200-1384786537_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-59501900-1384786614_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-33845400-1384786625_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-26413200-1384786636_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-16346800-1384786651_thumb.gi

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

It's always the same at Winter, the ECM and the JMA will join forces showing some decent cold and potential snow at +192 and beyond, the UKMO will often look like it's headed that way too, and the GFS will more often than not say ''No way Pedro''

Then after a few days worth of runs the models will all move toward one another and end up closer to the UKMO output.

It's very rare that the GFS is all out on it's own showing cold and snow potential with the other models showing a milder set up ...I wonder why it's always the ECM and JMA that seem to favour showing a route to cod and snow only to thyen back down ??

I lost count the number of times I saw this last Winter, especially in December !

• Like 1

Posted

It's always the same at Winter, the ECM and the JMA will join forces showing some decent cold and potential snow at +192 and beyond, the UKMO will often look like it's headed that way too, and the GFS will more often than not say ''No way Pedro''

Then after a few days worth of runs the models will all move toward one another and end up closer to the UKMO output.

It's very rare that the GFS is all out on it's own showing cold and snow potential with the other models showing a milder set up ...I wonder why it's always the ECM and JMA that seem to favour showing a route to cod and snow only to thyen back down ??

I lost count the number of times I saw this last Winter, especially in December !

I didn't lose count, in fact it only happened once in December. ECM got the January cold spell after the GFS repeatedly telling us that it would never happen, only to back down 2, yes 2 days before the cold spell started. GFS will go for mild close to 100% of the time, so it's bound to get it right at a few times. ECM is much more adaptable and while it is prone to overplaying cold scenarios it will smell the coffee a lot sooner than the GFS.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Frosty, you seem to have turned from an extremely optimistic person to an extremely pessimistic person overnight. The Met Office, as Fergie has said are not confident in something what may or may not happen in 10+ days time. I see no reason at all to think we will return to zonal weather looking at the various model outputs.

Hi,

Thats born out by our team in Vienna. They think changes will be slow during the first part of next week with perhaps a slight shift of the high pressure centre over Scotland to the SW. Low confidence thereafter regarding a mild Atlantic zonal erosion into the Northwest. This Thursday , some snow fall likely over the Welsh Mountains  (1-5 cm )and on Friday  to affect some of the higher ground of Southern Central England. High centred over Scotland this weekend and Low pressure circulation over the Alps with a keen Nely over SE Britain  for a time moving into France early next week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

With the 12z runs coming soon i will lock this shortly and open a new thread so hold off any posts for 5.

Thanks all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.