Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 13/11/13 >

Posted

Such a huge difference even at t96, only 4 days away which is normally within the time limit for when things don't change much, one of the big 2 is going to have egg on the face big time.

Posted

The GFS is cannon fodder, however eventually it will catch up....

It wont catch up this run but it will edge closer- I guarantee you at 192 it will still have a UK high-

A bit like when people don't read my posts in detail - eventually they catch up......

S

Pretty silly to call the GFS model a cannon fodder model IMO. The GFS is only marginally behind the UKM/ECMWF model and is by far the 3rd most accurate medium-term model.

It offers us so much data free to use and has enabled most on here a depth of knowledge in different model parameters that they would never of had without it.

It has also called a number of these situations right in the past.

Edited by Matty M
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Such a huge difference even at t96, only 4 days away which is normally within the time limit for when things don't change much, one of the big 2 is going to have egg on the face big time.

Perhaps they both will. The GFS 06z is completely different to its 00z run even at T120

Posted Image

Posted Image

If it can change that much in 6 hours, it's going to be a long old week.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The 6z has very good verification stats for a cannon fodder model I have been told. :-)

• Like 3

Posted

perhaps time to remind ourselves that ecm op is a little biased towards excess amplification in its latter stages - at least the old version of the op was. guess this is the first test if the same is true of the new one !

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Do I detect a hint of point scoring creeping into the thread again?.......A couple of members seem to be spoiling for a fight, so lets keep it clean folks.....on-topic discussion and debate is cool, but repeated below the belt blows will result in a definite 'points reduction' as such Posted Image

• Like 8

Pretty silly to call the GFS model a cannon fodder model IMO. The GFS is only marginally behind the UKM/ECMWF model and is by far the 3rd most accurate medium-term model.

It offers us so much data free to use and has enabled most on here a depth of knowledge in different model parameters that they would never of had without it.

The 06z is - it always will be.

Its verification stats for Europe/ atlantic & north pole was probably nothing better that the NOGAPS was-

If you post up the 00z 102 & the 06z 96 it sort of proves my point

Im not saying the ECM is totally correct, however there is only 1 model going through rapid change & that's the GFS.

• Like 2

Posted

Im no expert, but the differences between the 0z and 6z are amazing, so maybe the proof is in the pudding?

Posted

Im no expert, but the differences between the 0z and 6z are amazing, so maybe the proof is in the pudding?

Just to say that, if we're trying to work out how models perform, comparing 2 successive runs on one day is proof of absolutely nothing. We need to be more scientific and circumspect than that. :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

So the 0z and 6z show a big difference in i suppose a reliable time range but is this just down to the confusion in the movement of the atlantic low and not the models accuracy?ive know idea tbh but i find it hard to believe a model runs accuracy is governed by the time it runs!Lack off data ete?Posted Image Anyway its what it is and altho it does lean towards the euros early on it does flatten out so one step forward as they say.Pv looks more confused than me atm so i guess over the next couple of days many various outcomes will come and go before the final solution on this current saga concludes.Interesting as ever altho the "rutting"amongst a few members is tiresome tbh and quite boringPosted Image My gut feeling still is a middle ground with the euros but hey what do i knowPosted Image

Posted

The Gfs 06z op run gives the impression of being dragged through a hedge backwards whilst kicking and screaming towards the Ecm 00z..it's painful to watch..I thought it would have been colder than that in the south to be honest.Posted Image

post-4783-0-85908200-1384771575_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-98351700-1384771592_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

Just to say that, if we're trying to work out how models perform, comparing 2 successive runs on one day is proof of absolutely nothing. We need to be more scientific and circumspect than that. :-)

Scientific and circumspect? As I said the proof is there infront of you. You have answered your question, 2 runs 6 hours appart and massive differences in that time frame.

Posted

Scientific and circumspect? As I said the proof is there infront of you. You have answered your question, 2 runs 6 hours appart and massive differences in that time frame.

Any analysis of the value or reliability of anything - models or otherwise - cannot be based upon or said to be "proved" by one individual example. Come on, this is hardly controversial! I'm not saying the GFS is NOT flawed.. I'm just stating the fairly basic idea that saying "look, 2 runs, very different. QED" is meaningless. There is a reason that reliability is based on long-running verification statistics and not picking 2 particular successive runs alone. :)

Posted

Any analysis of the value or reliability of anything - models or otherwise - cannot be based upon or said to be "proved" by one individual example. Come on, this is hardly controversial! I'm not saying the GFS is NOT flawed.. I'm just stating the fairly basic idea that saying "look, 2 runs, very different. QED" is meaningless. There is a reason that reliability is based on long-running verification statistics and not picking 2 particular successive runs alone. Posted Image

Where are the verification stats? Does anyone have a link please? I thought I read earlier that the 06 was one of the worst performers?

Posted

Where are the verification stats? Does anyone have a link please? I thought I read earlier that the 06 was one of the worst performers?

go to the NOAA site, I'll get the link in a tic

this is one link

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS/STATS.html

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 1

Posted

On the plus side, the Gfs 06z op run is rather cold throughout with night frosts, nothing mild at all which is something at least but I think the Ecm is the model to follow in these potentially cold and blocked patterns.

post-4783-0-12686600-1384772565_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-15314400-1384772579_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-35393300-1384772591_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/

These are comparingt he 0z runs of each. You can change it to the 12z... I don't have the link comparing different GFS runs.

Overall ECM leads, with UKMO and GFS about level.

At 10 days for the Northern Hemisphere, GFS is actually currently leading ECM on the 0z runs, though at that range statistics are not great for either, of course.

Edited by NickR
  • Like 2

Posted

http://models.weatherbell.com/verf/gfs_nh_f120.pngScores are on the right hand side. 06Z as good or bad as the others, and often scores higher than the others.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I feel that I need more convincing on the blocked pattern shown by the ECM, mainly because we were at this juncture last week and well it didn't turn out as well as many of us hoped. I guess the one positive is that we seem to be able to recycle the Atlantic ridge once it collapses towards the UK which means we do get further injections of cold air from the north or north east which gives some opportunity for some snow, and of course helps to cool the European landmass.

• Like 4