Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 13/11/13 >

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

UKMO Posted Image

Posted Image

Edit: LOL Radiohead thats 2 for 2, stop it!Posted Image

That is an absolute stunner out of the blue though. Very exciting chart for the SE especially assuming the uppers were cold enough and looking at the evolution up to then they could well be.

What will ECM bring?

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Snowy and Joey, although I can both see what you are saying, this is almost pointless debate and she be undertaken by PM.t+80 hours is still borderline Fantasy Island would you believe and why? because as shown by a poster above, minor scale differences will occur due to us losing the influence of High Pressure. Monday fairly cold, especially North of the border. Tuesday and Wednesday a wintry mix and by Thursday and Friday the predicted airmass by then gets mixed out and the UK remains largely dry, it will still be cold however. Intriguing stuff and the NH pattern is most fascinating now and in six or seven days time whichever model you look at.

Posted ImageGFS 12z 161113 H500 & SLP at t+144.png

I totally agree with you! Perhaps I didn't make myself clearly enough, but my point was that it is still too far away to make assertions about the nature of precipitation and that there is time for change in either direction. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

plenty of surface cold ian b atleast it will feel wintry im still on the fence and still sticking with the ukmo model Posted Image

and by the looks of it the ukmo is better than the gfs blimey still nothing nailed still need at least few days of cross model agreement

Edited by model rollercoaster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

It can't happen from that position.

Not so sure about that. Some cold air is certainly moving westwards, though it is into low res/FI territory. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

plenty of surface cold ian b atleast it will feel wintry im still on the fence and still sticking with the ukmo model Posted Image

and by the looks of it the ukmo is better than the gfs blimey still nothing nailed still need at least few days of cross model agreement

I feel that the UKMO at T144 is not a chart to put great faith in, we saw the other night how it backtracked in the morning from a certain position.

• Like 2

Posted

I feel that the UKMO at T144 is not a chart to put great faith in, we saw the other night how it backtracked in the morning from a certain position.

That may be but looking at the GFS chopping and changing then it certainly is not a model to put great faith in at the minute!
  • Like 1

Posted

my god the gfs at t192 is really touch and go it could evolve into something nice just before months end or start of December but low pressure over Greenland looks angry and the scandi high looks strong but who will win......Posted Image

very true ian brown I will say atleast its t144 and not like the other models but yes your right it has upgraded down grade then upgraded again.. its a wait and see moment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

That may be but looking at the GFS chopping and changing then it certainly is not a model to put great faith in at the minute!

Very true. All we can say is the GFS is a big improvement in the high res from previous runs and the so is the MetO, that must be worth something.

Hopefully ECM will continue the theme but the likes of Steve M must be salivating over their keyboards as they type up after that MetO run.

I'm actually surprised there isn't more comment and excitement but I guess folk are being sensible and measured after the usual rollercoaster of MO.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted

I think this first shot at cold will get away from us and we will end up with high pressure too close to the UK. However, it's good to see that most models still keep low pressure to our South. This could help in the coming days as a further burst of wave breaking is expected which will help to push the bulk of the Polar Vortex to the Southeast of the Pole and into Russia.

I actually think this FI run is a good shout at what will happen, with high pressures making their way towards the Pole from the Canada region, let's hope we end up in a favorable position for a block.

Edited by Snowy L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UKMO is a peach for coldies this afternoon at t144

Posted Image

deepening on the uppers the SE could see some snow from that, all over to ECM now

Not for the first time we have no agreement at day 5

Posted Image

I would urge caution with UKMO at t144 for now until with either see ECM going the same way later on or we see something from Fergie which backs it up

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 5

Posted

Amazing 12z ukmo!!that 96 hour chart I think would produce snow widely across england and the Interesting thing is that the 96 hour chart is practically the same as yesterdays 120 hour chart for the same time.infact it's further west. All in all a brilliant start to the evening and hopefully this is the start of one if those famous gfs backtracks. All eyes down for the ecm.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I totally agree with you! Perhaps I didn't make myself clearly enough, but my point was that it is still too far away to make assertions about the nature of precipitation and that there is time for change in either direction. 

Indeed Joe, Thanks. I just want to keep the flow of the thread going rather than personal debates amongst members, let's learn about the bigger picture. From my amateurish view, GFS 12z was much better than the 6z for coldies, especially in the more reliable timeframe. It also seems MetO has produced a stonker for the time of year, too. Need to wait for the ensembles though, which are often overlooked by a lot folk in here, as these act as a guidance tool moving into FI and beyond. I still maintain that it looks feasible that almost up until the end of November, the Atlantic could remain blocked. Posted Image

A disrupted NH Jetstream if I've ever seen one, this at t+168 (12pm, Saturday 23rd November)

post-7183-0-80950700-1384620474_thumb.pn

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 3

Posted

"Indeed Joe, Thanks. I just want to keep the flow of the thread going rather than personal debates amongst members,"

It was hardly personal, it was two members giving differing opinions on what a model was showing, exactly what this thread should be about :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

On the UKMO 96hr chart I think the Met might go with that evolution as it has been shown by the models today so expect to see it on the FAX later but where will they put the 528dam line? Thats the question!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

"Indeed Joe, Thanks. I just want to keep the flow of the thread going rather than personal debates amongst members,"

It was hardly personal, it was two members giving differing opinions on what a model was showing, exactly what this thread should be about Posted Image

Whatever and I respect both your points of view. I just don't like this place when disagreements often lead to personal attack, was what I was really getting at. May well get snowy in your patch too, so good luck. Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

in regards to the ukmo run id be on the fence as they will modify the raw output best to wait for the fax.

notice the gem not to bad either so far gfs not a total nightmare most certainly better runs so far better than yesterdays Prozac moment.

im sure I be order more meds for the next few days lol Posted Image

the futher west that shortwave on the ukmo the better and nick yes infact nearly all the models are toying with colder air getting into Europe, cold air then heights northeast and a nice easterly flow then December could be a real early winter wonderland but lets see what our friends at the met office do with there modified version.

• Like 1

Posted

UKMO 12Z run looks very tasty indeed.

Certainly wintry showers around if that verified and of

course completely different to the GFS run we have just

seen.

I think I would put more faith in the UKMO run myself

since we know the problems the GFS model has with

phasing energy in the Atlantic.

Posted

gem has easterly but no cold air to tap into but looks pretty much the same as the gfs.

but not much deeper colder air to the east but does still have high pressure over scandi area.

Posted

Everything changes but some things still stay the same - Model inconsistency, it's what makes it so interesting though right? The GFS 6z to 12z may look fairly similar but they are chalk and cheese, that low coming across Canada towards Greenland wasn't even on the 6z and that's only 5 days out! Says a lot for how much the models can be trusted currently, there's some very complicated scenarios being shown though so it's hardly surprising.

Cautiously optimistic though.

• Like 1

Posted

Uknto - firstly, the shortwave runs down the west of the UK which puts areas to the east of it at risk of a white surprise. Secondly, it doesn't cut off the cold feed from scandi like the others. Now the end of that run has shades of 2010 about it. If the uppers were a few degrees lower we'd be in business. As it is, should it verify, it would be borderline (prob the wrong side). Lets see where ECM takes the jet and if it can keep the cold feed going tht bit longer than gefs and gem. Incidentally, gfs is in the bin if it has the split flow wrong to our west. too early to say but it has 'form'.

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 8