Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

When did you become interested in the weather?

Barry12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

For me the Winter 2009/10 got my curiosity, then December 2010 got my attention Posted Image

Posted

33 years ago when I left home and started paying my own gas bills. That was a shock!

And having been brought up listening to how I was born just weeks before the winter of 62/63 and how difficult it was to keep me warm as a new born I've always dreaded another winter like it.

More so now as gas is so expensive now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Not sure exactly when but it was sometime in the 80's as a child when I fell in love with snow in those decent winters of the 80's only to find my self searching hopelessly for snow throughout the modern winters of the 90's and 00's on the only source available to me at the time which was Bbc weather like clockwork every day in winter along with good old teletext forecasts. Posted Image Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Ive always had an interest in the seasons for as long as i can remember,even as a kid i always prefered for example Autumn/Winter over Spring/ Summer. Always loved the longer nights and always loved the first time of the season when my mother would light the fire which for me was the real sign that Winter was coming.

But the Winter of 81/82 was got me more interested in the weather,the big snowfall of Jan 82. The cold Winters of the 80's helped fuel my interest in weather without a doubt.

Edited by sundog

Posted

Winter 1981/82 when I was 5 years old and this is my earliest memory of snow. I was a bit too young to 1978/79! My real interest began in 2001 when I discovered the weather forums. Anyone remember snow watch on the BBC forum?

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Probably about age 12, before then I didn't care what the weather was like, for some reason it just started to interest me from about 12.

Teletext and Ceefax was about the best "data" I used, but not too long after I got the internet in the late 90's and began using sites like Wunderground and Weatheronline.

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

When we got stuck in a blizzard circa Jan 1954, then after that I was in the ATC and loved dodging the cumulus on those air experience flights :)

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

A few years back, I enjoyed taking photos of weather. Since then I have been interested in why summers turned more unsettled and also the cold winters/ snow that followed 2007+, I can't remember snow before that, I was born 1994. Twitter and this forum are great off learning about the weather and showing what people have to say!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Winter 1981/82 when I was 5 years old and this is my earliest memory of snow. I was a bit too young to 1978/79! My real interest began in 2001 when I discovered the weather forums. Anyone remember snow watch on the BBC forum?

Yes I remember the bbc forum it was alright at times but was not moderated properly if my memory serves me correctly?

It was also around the time we would all go crazy for a brief northerly from a fleeting toppler. Posted Image

Posted

Yes I remember the bbc forum it was alright at times but was not moderated properly if my memory serves me correctly?

It was also around the time we would all go crazy for a brief northerly from a fleeting toppler. Posted Image

No it wasn't moderated properly and was eventually shut down and that's when lots flocked over to TWO and Netweather!  Yes Winter 2001/2 was grim for coldies!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

That winter of 62/63.Walking to work in snow drifts after just leaving school at 15. Started my interest. The last 3 years taken more notice and purchased weather station. Then started looking at weather forums.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

31st December 1978

Could not comprehend how torrential rain that I went to bed to could turn into a foot of snow by 8am the next day

Remember it well, went around my Grans 1st Jan 1979 everything frozen.

My obsession (cant call it a interest if the first thing you do is look at the IJIS web site in the morning Posted Image )  started as a young kid in the early 70s.

Always fascinated by snow and lamp post watching if required.

I kept diaries in the 1970s early 80s with lots of weather comments. Guess I gave up the diaries when I found Booze/women.

Diaries went like

'woke up'

'had breakfast'

'PE with Mr Cliff'

'Came home 4.45pm'

'Went to Bejam's with mum'

'watched Tomorrows world and afterwards Citizen Smith'

'brother still wont let have Bay City Roller pic from his Look in Mag'

'snow man now 12 days old ,not added ice to it from Freezer yet'

'According to BBC min  -6c tonight with snow showers overnight'

'saw some snow at 3am under lamp post across the road near neighbour with white cats'

Next day

'woke up tired'

etc etc

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I had an interest in science in general since I was kid, way back in the mid 90s!

I remember buying the "Tornado" movie in 1998, I thought it was great at the time...

Anyway, the winter of 95/96 and the Christmas Eve storm of 1997 helped develop my interest in weather from a young age.

Posted

Feb 91. Proper snow, proper cold, none of this rubbish mushy soggy slushy snow we get from frontal systems hitting cold air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

always been interested in science infact my favourit subject was science and maths in school. My intrest in weather started in the 80's i even have tapes of recorded shipping forecasts from the late 80's till 2002. Listening and taping the shipping forecasts taping t-storms and the snow got me hooked. That i would say started from 84-85.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It started off when I was four years old, just getting fascinated looking up at the sky and watching the shadows cast by the sun.

My interest was then fuelled by a series of weather events during the period 1993-1996, particularly a few "sunshine and snow showers" setups in Tyneside during the winter of 1993/94 (20th-22nd November, 25th-27th December, 20th-22nd February), a few spectacular thunderstorms during the summer of 1994, various events during the calendar year of 1995, abd 1996 also had a lot of unusual weather at times.

• Like 1

Posted

My-reading this thread don't 'arf make me feel old!

My first memory of a winter is 1947 and being carried on my fathers' shoulders up our street on to the top road where just about sufficient traffic along with slag spreading on the road (no salt in those days) made it possible for a 7+ year old to be able to walk without disapearing in snowdrifts.

That started my interest which just grew over the years, thunderstorms in summer, dense fog in the winter half of the year. Long before the Clean Air Act, visibilities below 5 yards being not uncommon.

By the age of 10 I had been given a max/min thermometer and kept a weather diary to leaving school and joining the professionals. The hobby beame a career, now I still do weather observations, the occasional forecast other than on here and maintain a deep interest in all things weather related.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

I've always liked snow and hot weather, but what caused a keen interest in the weather was for many years I organised the fixtures for a large rounders competition on a campus in Oxfordshire - and in the summer months would try to predict what the weather was going to do for rearranging games etc when it rained.  I gradually became more and more interested - I am a physicist and am generally interested in areas of science that are complex and with some depth - there's plenty going on with the weather to maintain the interest.  Have learned a lot from posts on this forum - please keep them coming!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

Like Stu London and Stewfox, it was the New Year's Eve/Day snowfall in 78/79 that really got me hooked. It's the first disruptive snow I can remember - it was knee-deep and I clearly recall being in awe of how the world had been totally transformed without any human involvement whatsoever. I've also always really enjoyed the whole different language of weather - when I was very little I loved the rhythmic poetry of the Shipping Forecast (not limited to weather, I know, but same ballpark), and then I became intrigued by the TV weather forecast with its isobars and (then) totally meaningless terminology (this was obviously before it got dumbed down). It's still only snow that gets me really excited though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

My-reading this thread don't 'arf make me feel old!

My first memory of a winter is 1947 and being carried on my fathers' shoulders up our street on to the top road where just about sufficient traffic along with slag spreading on the road (no salt in those days) made it possible for a 7+ year old to be able to walk without disapearing in snowdrifts.

That started my interest which just grew over the years, thunderstorms in summer, dense fog in the winter half of the year. Long before the Clean Air Act, visibilities below 5 yards being not uncommon.

By the age of 10 I had been given a max/min thermometer and kept a weather diary to leaving school and joining the professionals. The hobby beame a career, now I still do weather observations, the occasional forecast other than on here and maintain a deep interest in all things weather related.

Not only you, John...The first concrete memory I have was being allowed to share my wee bro's pram during a particularly fierce summer thunderstorm. I must have been about 21/2 at the time.

But, nowt beats watching the very first flakes of snow fall (Harrow) on Boxing Day 1962!