Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 06/11/13 0000z ------------>

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Tornado reported in one of the bays near me - Trevone. Bay at approx. 7.30am this morning. Some damage to garden buildings and other outside structures. Chickens killed but no-one hurt as far as I know. Only just found out about it from a friend. Lots of pics on Facebook of the aftermath but unsure if there was a funnel cloud or even if it was actually a tornado. Wasn't expecting that!!

If it was a tornado then judging by the damage described it would probably be an F0.

In other words winds between 40-70mph.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

5.8c. at the moment with only a light breeze.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Another decent frost is going to be scuppered tonight by rain and cloud Posted Image  I could have sworn only a day ago we were forecast a widespread frost tonight...

4 1/2 hours of rain here this evening and still raining - this rain has come out of nowhere. Even this afternoon's forecast only mentions rain for the south-west and yet here it is pasted all over the southern half of the UK. Surely it's not asking too much of the metoffice to be able to tell us whether it is going to be wet or dry a just few hours beforehand?

Guest William Grimsley

It was wet and mild with a moderate wind yesterday, here. High Rainfall Rate Yesterday: 5.6 mm/hr 06:35 High Hourly Rainfall Yesterday: 2.4 mm 20:32 Rainfall Yesterday: 6.4 mm High Temperature Yesterday: 11.1°C 12:36 High Wind Gust Yesterday: 16 mph 11:05 High Wind Speed Yesterday: 8 mph 10:44 Wind Run Yesterday: 45.3 mi Dominant Direction Yesterday: 243° WSW.

Posted

Very nice clear day with blue skies and sunshine. Low of 3.4c at 06:50 this morning. Now 4.8c. Humidity is  98%. Pressure 1018.5 hpa.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Lovely clear start with blue skies and sunshine - if only it could have been frosty. Minimum of 2.6C but now 4.9C.

Guest William Grimsley

There was a line of altocumulus castellanus clouds to the E at 13:00. I don't know where the instability is coming from except a weather front approaching from the W. It could be quite wet later, here.

Posted

Yes glorious here but the next bout of rain is already affecting Cornwall! What will it take to get a dry 24 hours over the region?

I saw my first frost since May this morning with pretty patterned frost on cars and a slight whiteness on grass, the min was 2.2c .

Posted

4.9c. breeze light. Moon is out.   Some small clouds about.

Guest William Grimsley

More wind and rain is moving into SW England from the W, now. This rain is light and moderate. I hope there will be a lot of rain tonight, here.

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted

Thanking goodness at the Countryfile forecast showing a mostly dry week after tomorrow night which will hopefully mean I get to catch up my work schedule by next weekend! However before that we have 2 more bouts of heavy rain to get through!

Posted

Thanking goodness at the Countryfile forecast showing a mostly dry week after tomorrow night which will hopefully mean I get to catch up my work schedule by next weekend! However before that we have 2 more bouts of heavy rain to get through!

yea and me got some outside lights to do all in conduit so it has to be dry

Posted

The Westcountry has been told to brace itself for yet more poor weather after the Met Office issued a severe weather warning for today. Residents in Devon and Cornwall have been told to be aware of the potential for localised flooding across the region, starting last night. Persistent rain was predicted to start last night and last into today.

Weather warnings were also in place for London and the South East but were withdrawn, previously it had been thought that the far South West of the country would escape the worst of the poor weather. The Met Office said: "Highest rainfall accumulations are likely to be in western parts, and current saturated ground conditions and high river levels in parts of Devon and Cornwall means that there is potential for some minor disruption due to river flooding here."

The rain was predicted to arrive just two weeks after the St Jude storm caused major disruption in the region, and after more poor weather last weekend. The Met Office predicted on Friday that the Westcountry was set to enter a period of typical autumnal weather, with temperatures hovering around 9C and a chance of frost later this week.

Guest William Grimsley

It was wet and mild with a moderate wind yesterday, here. High Rainfall Rate Yesterday: 3.2 mm/hr 23:14 High Hourly Rainfall Yesterday: 1.6 mm 23:32 Rainfall Yesterday: 2.6 mm High Temperature Yesterday: 11.3°C 12:19 High Wind Gust Yesterday: 17 mph 23:38 High Wind Speed Yesterday: 10 mph 23:44 Wind Run Yesterday: 19.4 mi Dominant Direction Yesterday: 187° S.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Looking forward to the potential upcoming settled spell.

Hopeful of getting a few frosts recorded, which have been lacking IMBY so far this season.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Looking forward to the potential upcoming settled spell.Hopeful of getting a few frosts recorded, which have been lacking IMBY so far this season.

There is a lot of talk in the MOD thread of a cold blast hitting us next week, and netweather have me down for my first snow risk of the season.... Are you seeing what they are seeing AWD??!! Cheers in advance!

Posted

There is a lot of talk in the MOD thread of a cold blast hitting us next week, and netweather have me down for my first snow risk of the season.... Are you seeing what they are seeing AWD??!! Cheers in advance!

Just made a post in the MOD thread! lol. Wouldn't get to hung up on snow at the moment yet mate, it would have to fall into place inch perfectly for any wintriness down our part of the world. Not saying it's not possible though, especially over elevated areas like yourself.I think frost and fog are a more favourable outcome for us. Could be some nice cold nights with cool days.Don't see anything lengthy for us either though. Being so early in the season, SST's and surface inversions should soon mix out what cold 850hpa pM air we do see.Nonetheless, an early brief taste of Wintery feeling weather does look likely in week 2 and with an emerging amplified Atlantic pattern (even if it does end up WB/NAO), it gives us interest and hope as we enter winter proper at least.
  • Like 4

Posted

Just made a post in the MOD thread! lol.Wouldn't get to hung up on snow at the moment yet mate, it would have to fall into place inch perfectly for any wintriness down our part of the world. Not saying it's not possible though, especially over elevated areas like yourself.I think frost and fog are a more favourable outcome for us. Could be some nice cold nights with cool days.Don't see anything lengthy for us either though. Being so early in the season, SST's and surface inversions should soon mix out what cold 850hpa pM air we do see.Nonetheless, an early brief taste of Wintery feeling weather does look likely in week 2 and with an emerging amplified Atlantic pattern (even if it does end up WB/NAO), it gives us interest and hope as we enter winter proper at least.

Thanks for the update buddy, nice one!

Must have just missed your post in the MOD thread! Well, just some frost would be good, particularly mild today, just want some cold! 

Thanks again mate.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Shhhhhush. Posted Image I think he most probably is, if I were to answer in his defence. However, a lot of changes in the upper levels of the atmosphere have to come together in order for us to even think about getting snow. First comes a welcome settling down from the current dismal spell of weather, then just where we go from there is hard to predict but I guess there is at least a 50% maybe 60% chance of a brief Northerly flow at the realms of t+168 hours or thereabouts.

Just made a post in the MOD thread! lol.

Wouldn't get to hung up on snow at the moment yet mate, it would have to fall into place inch perfectly for any wintriness down our part of the world. Not saying it's not possible though, especially over elevated areas like yourself.

I think frost and fog are a more favourable outcome for us. Could be some nice cold nights with cool days.

Don't see anything lengthy for us either though. Being so early in the season, SST's and surface inversions should soon mix out what cold 850hpa pM air we do see.

Nonetheless, an early brief taste of Wintery feeling weather does look likely in week 2 and with an emerging amplified Atlantic pattern (even if it does end up WB/NAO), it gives us interest and hope as we enter winter proper at least.

Oops AWD, will also visit said thread and look for updates. All the Afternoon 12z suites will be pondered over by me in the coming days. Posted Image

Posted

Shhhhhush. Posted Image I think he most probably is, if I were to answer in his defence. However, a lot of changes in the upper levels of the atmosphere have to come together in order for us to even think about getting snow. First comes a welcome settling down from the current dismal spell of weather, then just where we go from there is hard to predict but I guess there is at least a 50% maybe 60% chance of a brief Northerly flow at the realms of t+168 hours or thereabouts.

Oops AWD, will also visit said thread and look for updates. All the Afternoon 12z suites will be pondered over by me in the coming days. Posted Image

Good point, I will keep my mouth shut!! I don't want to be the one to spoil it!! Posted Image

Posted

Today is one of those vile warm sector days that we seem to get at any time of the year ; high humidity, low Stratocumulus, constant drizzle with more meaningful light rain at times!

We really do need the forthcoming drier spell as tonight's wave on the frontal system could push November's rainfall towards 3 inches already and that's on the back of about 6 inches in the final fortnight of October = potentially 9 inches of rain in just over 3 weeks!

• Like 1

Posted

And so it begins;

post-12721-0-96595000-1384192557_thumb.j

;)