Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 06/11/13 0000z ------------>

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Interesting fax chart for 96hrs. Plenty of troughs in the northerly flow. Especially close to coastline. Maybe some in this region may get lucky and with elevation. Cotswolds? Somerset etc..

Nice and into the reliable timeframe (just), the 528DAM line has passed over us into northern France and with it, the first blast of cooler air. Taking that chart literally, i.e. studying the minute details, dangerous at this range but I guess Tuesday looks like a day of progressively colder air seeping south aiding showers to move through in streamer style. Firstly they are likely to be of rain but as colder air still (a la my chart yesterday evening) sinks ever south, the showers will become progressively wintry. Next week will be very cold for the time of year I reckon, but we need not look at the "will it snow" scenarios until Monday at least, otherwise.............. well you know the score. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Guest William Grimsley

It was wet and mild with a light wind yesterday, here. High Rainfall Rate Yesterday: 13.4 mm/hr 09:34 High Hourly Rainfall Yesterday: 0.8 mm 02:08 Rainfall Yesterday: 2.2 mm High Temperature Yesterday: 10.6°C 11:51 High Wind Gust Yesterday: 15 mph 02:14 High Wind Speed Yesterday: 6 mph 02:16 Wind Run Yesterday: 16.3 mi Dominant Direction Yesterday: 272° W.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

It was wet and mild with a light wind yesterday, here. High Rainfall Rate Yesterday: 13.4 mm/hr 09:34 High Hourly Rainfall Yesterday: 0.8 mm 02:08 Rainfall Yesterday: 2.2 mm High Temperature Yesterday: 10.6°C 11:51 High Wind Gust Yesterday: 15 mph 02:14 High Wind Speed Yesterday: 6 mph 02:16 Wind Run Yesterday: 16.3 mi Dominant Direction Yesterday: 272° W.

Can't wait until young William's reports begin with "it was flippin fff...freezing yesterday here with 20 feet of snow lying on the ground by daybreak. The end result was that I couldn't leave the house to check the observations and the weather station now looks like this" Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Still a long way out until next Tues/Wed onwards, but one thing , the charts seem more consistent on this colder period and developing a low over the S/W.

Like i say though a long way off and many things can happen such is the fickle but interesting British weather.

If these charts do play out it could get quite interesting and higher parts of the S/W could get some wet snow.

Posted

Can't wait until young William's reports begin with "it was flippin fff...freezing yesterday here with 20 feet of snow lying on the ground by daybreak. The end result was that I couldn't leave the house to check the observations and the weather station now looks like this" Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Just in time... Bring it.

post-7340-0-39932100-1384510412_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Low of 1.2c At 05:50.. Frost on fallen leaves.  Frost on grass in shade. None on bungalow roof tiles.

Now partly cloudy .Sunshine. 6.2c. Breeze N. East 5.0 km/h.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

I see that princetown has been progged for snow Tuesday night according to the MO. just hope this wet snow line slips down the hill a bit. The beast must be happy.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

I see that princetown has been progged for snow Tuesday night according to the MO. just hope this wet snow line slips down the hill a bit. The beast must be happy.

The beast is happy... Its only a small drive up the hill for you!! I reckon with those temperatures and you being the higher side of Yelverton, you might see a bit....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

From Ian;

"Many areas in S seeing little (or no) snow nxt week, albeit nowhere immune. However, any at lower levels will readily melt = overnight ice."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I see on my met office app it gives me snow forecast for Tuesday with average temperature between 2c and 4c! Posted Image

We shall see... Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Not in South Glos. The council, in their infinite wisdom, now turn the street lights off in many residential streets from 11.00pm until 5.00am....including mine! GRRRR!!

Good excuse to go to bed and get some sleep then?Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

From Ian;"Many areas in S seeing little (or no) snow nxt week, albeit nowhere immune. However, any at lower levels will readily melt = overnight ice."

I am so dissapointed to hear that, I thought it was going to be freezing cold even in the south west?  *sigh*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

There have been reports of very short snow flurries on the A30 here in Cornwall, near the Jamaica Inn.

One was from a family member, the other a local council worker and our local radio station :)

• Like 3

Posted

Not in South Glos. The council, in their infinite wisdom, now turn the street lights off in many residential streets from 11.00pm until 5.00am....including mine! GRRRR!!

I think that it a good idea in small streets although I guess from a safety point of view it would be a little dangerous....I think it would be nice to have less light polution and be able to see the stars at night as they are meant to be seen....

Posted

You need to get yourself one of these then BB;

Posted Imageimage.jpg

I've been thinking about that AWD. BUT.....

I genuinely believe it's not fair on the neighbours when one of these keeps coming on and off, especially in a street that's now normally pitch black through the core of the night. It acts as a flash light into neighbour's rooms, lighting up the rooms on and off thru' the night.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

I am so dissapointed to hear that, I thought it was going to be freezing cold even in the south west?  *sigh*

It will be freezing cold... Just might not snow!!

Posted

There have been reports of very short snow flurries on the A30 here in Cornwall, near the Jamaica Inn.

One was from a family member, the other a local council worker and our local radio station Posted Image

I don't think the upper air profiles currently suggest that that would be likely but intriguing nonetheless.

Posted

Even if it doesn't show here (not getting my hopes up just yet), it'll be nice to finally have a decent cold spell. Only had one frost so far this year, and I'm getting pretty sick of the rain.

I take it mean only one frost this season as there were plenty earlier this year!

Sunny, cloud towards to N/W horizons, 9.7c .

It probably will be freezing cold but the ground will not be cold enough to sustain any snow that does fall as we would need successive hard frosts for that to occur.

Guest William Grimsley

It probably will be freezing cold but the ground will not be cold enough to sustain any snow that does fall as we would need successive hard frosts for that to occur.

That's the annoying thing.

Edited by William Grimsley
  • Like 1

Posted

It will be freezing cold... Just might not snow!!

Typical, the rest of the country will get snow and we'll get drenched in freezing rain and freezing our fingers and toes off lol!  Fingers and toes crossed we ahve some of the white stuff Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I don't think the upper air profiles currently suggest that that would be likely but intriguing nonetheless.

It was at about 8:30 this morning if that helps? Edited by snowphie

Posted

Typical, the rest of the country will get snow and we'll get drenched in freezing rain and freezing our fingers and toes off lol!  Fingers and toes crossed we ahve some of the white stuff Posted Image

Replace "will" with "might" and "freezing rain" with "largely dry and frosty" and you should be nearer the mark. Nonetheless next week looks fascinating given the date on the calendar and Tuesday and Wednesday is a long way off synoptic wise right now. Where we go from there may well be the pertinent question. Posted Image Posted Image

Posted

It was at about 8:30 this morning if that helps?

AFAIK, the current upper air profile isn't conducive for snow to fall was what I was trying to state. Posted Image Having said that, stranger things have happened in the past. Posted Image