Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Super Typhoon Haiyan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

What are the others Sainsbo? I know of Camille, Allen, Gilbert I think?

Edited by Somerset Squall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It has just dropped below 900mb in the center, only the second one in 22 years to do so. Incredible storm! :O

• Like 1

What are the others Sainsbo? I know of Camille, Allen, Gilbert I think?

Typhoon Tip, Typhoon Grace, Hurricane Allen, Hurricane Camille, Typhoon Vera, and Typhoon Sarah, if the wikipedia page is correct. I didn't realise the rarity of this event myself until I looked it up!

Edit: It seems that there are a few that are possibly higher, but their wind speeds are disputed, like Nancy and Ida

Edited by Sainsbo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

It has just dropped below 900mb in the center, only the second one in 22 years to do so. Incredible storm! :O

Officially maybe, but I suspect unoffically many have in the West Pacific and most likely Cyclone Monica in 2006 in the Australian region. Do you mean worldwide or just this basin? Megi 2010 is another one, down to 885mb officially. But not 190mph surprisingly.This is why there should be recon in all basins IMO. For the sake of records if not anything else. Edited by Somerset Squall
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Officially maybe, but I suspect unoffically many have in the West Pacific and most likely Cyclone Monica in 2006 in the Australian region. Do you mean worldwide or just this basin? Megi 2010 is another one, down to 885mb officially. But not 190mph surprisingly.

Yeah, western Pacific. I forgot to write it in the post as i was a bit excited/shocked when i read it. lol 

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted

On line media not mincing words now:

Super Typhoon Haiyan to Bring Destruction to Philippines

Super Typhoon Haiyan (local name Yolanda) continues to pose a serious threat to lives and property as it heads toward the Philippines. Earlier on Thursday, local time, the winds with this exceptionally dangerous storm increased to 280 kph (nearly 175 mph), tying it with Super Typhoon Lekima for the strongest tropical system in the world for the 2013 season based on wind speed and central pressure. The strength of Haiyan is equal to that of an extremely powerful Category 5 hurricane in the Atlantic.

With its current track, Haiyan will cross over the Philippines Friday through Friday night with its strength equivalent to a Category 5 or a strong Category 4 hurricane.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/super-typhoon-haiyan-a-serious/19561621

Super Typhoon Haiyan to batter Philippines

The biggest storm of 2013 in the Western Pacific is expected to smash into central parts of the country.

http://www.aljazeera.com/weather/2013/11/philippines-face-further-flood-threat-201311591711816314.html

Typhoon Haiyan bears down on Philippines

Most powerful storm to hit the western Pacific this year expected to make landfall on Friday between Samar and Leyte

Authorities have grounded ferry services and called in fishing boats as an approaching super typhoon, the most powerful to hit the western Pacific this year, has gained strength on a path set for the central Philippines. With centre winds of 135 miles per hour and gusts of up to 155mph, typhoon Haiyan, rated a category-five storm (the most severe) was moving west/north-west at 18mph in the Pacific Ocean on Thursday. It was expected to make landfall on Friday between the central islands of Samar and Leyte.

"I have issued a call to prepare for the worst," said Ben Evardone, a member of congress representing Eastern Samar province, one of the areas likely to be hit. "We have mobilised all LGUs [local government units] and all resources for any contingency. There were already forced and pre-emptive evacuations in some danger areas," he said. Areas in the path of the storm were already experiencing strong winds and heavy rains, he said.

The coastguard has warned deep-sea fishing boats to seek shelter or return to port. Schools and some offices are shut and power and communication lines switched off. Officials have used bullhorns to tell residents of coastal and upland villages to move to safer areas, while some people have been tying their houses on to stable posts. Trees have been trimmed and boats dragged on to shore. The state weather bureau raised storm alerts on coconut-growing Samar and Leyte. Officials in a dozen other central provinces also began stockpiling food, water and other relief supplies.

Posted Image

Good luck to all out there.

Edited by Coast

Posted

Glad I stumbled onto this thread today, Haiyan not even making the papers today nevermind the news although unfortunately I think tomorrow will be a different story. A Perfect symmetrical storm that is only getting stronger for now with windspeeds in excess of +200mph forecasted by the Pacific Warning Center.

• Like 1

A side by side comparison of Dvorak images of Super Typhoon Megi (left) and Super Typhoon Haiyan (right), taken from Ryan Maue's Twitter. It's astonishing to see how much more developed it looks.

Posted Image

Does anyone know why it has not gone through Eyewall replacement?

Posted

The 200mph wind isn't gusts, its sustained winds measured for over a minute, and to think it's still dropping in pressure all the while. You can see why this Typhoon has a T 8.0 rating.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

What worries me, is that i recently watched some footage from James Renolds previous encounters with

Typhoons this season, and he filmed people trying to walk in hurricane force winds, and riding motorcycles

One guy is hit on the head by a piece of flying debris

I dread to think what will happen over the next 24 hours

I fear the death toll could be serious

Posted

A side by side comparison of Dvorak images of Super Typhoon Megi (left) and Super Typhoon Haiyan (right), taken from Ryan Maue's Twitter. It's astonishing to see how much more developed it looks.

Posted Image

Does anyone know why it has not gone through Eyewall replacement?

It is showing classic annular characteristics - if I remember correctly these maintain intensity and are not subject to erc fluctuations.

• Like 2

It is showing classic annular characteristics - if I remember correctly these maintain intensity and are not subject to erc fluctuations.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Taken from Twitter: "As impossible as it seems, Super Typhoon #Haiyan continues to intensify -- raw T numbers of 8.1 which is above the scale which goes to 8.0"

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Just scary. Posted Image

If I believed in God, I'd pray for the people in the path. I just hope there's something of an evacuation strategy!

• Like 1

Posted

I think this storm could be the strongest storm seen by moden mankind. Now saying it might have 200mph sustained winds which are near the strength of a very strong tornado :(

• Like 5

Posted

Continuing to intensify, core temp 20'c with convection temp at -85'c. Cloud heights reaching in excess of 40,000ft

Posted

I think this storm could be the strongest storm seen by moden mankind. Now saying it might have 200mph sustained winds which are near the strength of a very strong tornado Posted Image

Could be one of the strongest storm's i have ever seen.

Posted

Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog

Super Typhoon Haiyan is one of the most intense tropical cyclones in world history, with sustained winds an incredible 190 mph, gusting to 230 mph, said the Joint Typhoon Warning Center in their 15 UTC (10 am EST) November 7, 2013 advisory. Officially, the strongest tropical cyclone in world history was Super Typhoon Nancy of 1961, with sustained winds of 215 mph. However, it is now recognized (Black 1992) that the maximum sustained winds estimated for typhoons during the 1940s to 1960s were too strong. Since 1969, only three tropical cyclones have equaled Haiyan's 190 mph sustained winds--the Western Pacific's Super Typhoon Tip of 1979, the Atlantic's Hurricane Camille of 1969, and the Atlantic's Hurricane Allen of 1980. All three of these storms had a hurricane hunter aircraft inside of them to measure their top winds, but Haiyan's winds were estimated using only satellite images, making its intensity estimate of lower confidence. Some interpretations of satellite intensity estimates suggest that there may have been two super typhoons stronger than Tip--Super Typhoon Gay of 1992, and Super Typhoon Angela of 1995. We don't have any measurements of Haiyan's central pressure, but it may be close to the all-time record of 870 mb set by Super Typhoon Tip. The Japan Meteorological Agency estimated Haiyan's central pressure at 895 mb at 12 UTC (7 am EST) November 7, 2013. Haiyan has the most spectacular appearance I've ever seen on satellite loops, with a prominent eye surrounded by a huge, impenetrable-looking mass of intense eyewall thunderstorms with tops that reach into the lower stratosphere. With landfall expected to occur by 21 UTC (4 pm EST) on Thursday, Haiyan doesn't have time to weaken much before landfall, and will likely hit the Philippines at Category 5 strength.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted

Intensifying right up to landfall. I'm not sure what their building codes are but there is bound to be massive damage under the core, equivalent to a very strong tornado with the wind speeds quoted above.

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

http://www.earthcam.com/world/philippines/boracay/bolabogbay/

found a live feed ,it's dark there now though 

Yep, just seen that link after reading the link Knocker posted also two twitter feeds to follow also.

• Like 1

Posted

Looks a monster, no signs of weakening, sure to hit the Phillipines as a Cat 5...

Posted Image

If it weakened which looks like it will not happen it will still be a monster.Have they done anything for the storm yet?