Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Super Typhoon Haiyan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Fears grow the weather station @ Guiain may not have survived, Hasn't updated in almost 2 hours, last recording was sustained 96mph winds.. 

Looking at the graph it only shows up to 96mph anyway? 

Edited by Mesoscale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

The 200mph wind isn't gusts, its sustained winds measured for over a minute, and to think it's still dropping in pressure all the while. You can see why this Typhoon has a T 8.0 rating.

Really, sustained 200mph! That means gusts would be well in excess of even that.

Thats equivilent to an EF5 tornado, it might as well be a giant most powerful tornado let alone hurricane.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Really, sustained 200mph! That means gusts would be well in excess of even that.

Thats equivilent to an EF5 tornado, it might as well be a giant most powerful tornado let alone hurricane.

Indeed, if the JTWC's gust estimate is correct, the wind gusts could be reaching 235mph now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Sunrise beginning now. Going to be some unreal imagery and footage of this monster.

Video from Tacloban City http://instagram.com/p/gbfcM6KW1x/

Unconfirmed that Satellite reports of 858mb... 

post-7292-0-48986500-1383863496_thumb.jp

post-7292-0-16940300-1383863645_thumb.jp

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 1

Posted

Never before have I seen a typhoon that is this photogenic.

Posted Image

Still amazed that this isn't being covered by the BBC and Sky News.

Sky mentioned it 5-10 mins ago but spent no more than a minute on it.... if they haven't got cameras there showing death and destruction they won't be interested.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

With sustained winds of 195+ mph what on earth level of devastation are we looking at here?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Probably won't be as bad as say an ef5 tornado for the sheer fact most of the wind gradually gets up to 195+ mph, with a tornado it can go from 0-200+mph in a few seconds. Actually scratch that as most of these places will be under the most intense winds for 2+ hours? so who knows?There will be so much devastation though, lets just hope it weakens as it gets closer to Cebu.

With sustained winds of 195+ mph who knows what might occur?

Edited by Mesoscale

Posted

We're witnessing power of mother nature beyond belief... If this system would just have been out to sea, then I would perhaps have been able to be amazed. But this is just too horrific for words.

Unreal..

Pressure readings from multiple platform MSLP estimates are even getting off the scale.

Posted Image

Gradient wind analysis shows that Haiyan is still notificable at an altitude above 20 km...

Posted Image

Also very impressive, but horrible to note is that the structure of Haiyan hasn't deteriroated due to land interaction.

Posted Image

EDIT: One final view on Haiyan, but this time taken from EIUMETSAT: 

Posted Image

Sources:

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/products/tc_realtime/storm.asp?storm_identifier=WP312013

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/products/tc_realtime/products/storms/2013WP31/4KMIRIMG/2013WP31_4KMIRIMG_201311072157.GIF

http://www.weerwoord.be/uploads/2111201373344.jpg

Edited by Vorticity0123
  • Like 6

Posted

Jeff Masters latest thoughts

Super Typhoon Haiyan has made landfall. According to PAGASA, Haiyan came ashore at 4 am local time (20 UTC) November 7, 2013 near Guiuan, on the Philippine island of Samar. At the time, Guiuan reported sustained 10-minute average winds of 96 mph, with a pressure of 977 mb. Contact has since been lost with the city. Two hours before landfall, the Joint Typhoon Warning Center assessed Haiyan’s sustained winds at 195 mph, gusting to 235 mph, making it the 4th strongest tropical cyclone in world history. Satellite loops show that Haiyan weakened only slightly, if at all, in the two hours after JTWC’s advisory, so the super typhoon likely made landfall with winds near 195 mph. This makes Haiyan the strongest tropical cyclone on record to make landfall in world history. The previous record was held by the Atlantic's Hurricane Camille of 1969, which made landfall in Mississippi with 190 mph winds.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2573

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Further footage from Tacloban City.

Debris visible and wind audible.

http://instagram.com/p/gboELfKWyn/

Really not looking forward to seeing the human side of this as opposed to the pure meteorology in the build up to landfall.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Here's the BBC report.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24846813

I notice they mix up mph and kph, so classify a category 5 incorrectly. Posted Image

To be honest though, I look at the poor people in the pictures and hope they've located to somewhere relatively safe.Posted Image We've so much more than those souls.

Posted

Here's the BBC report.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24846813

I notice they mix up mph and kph, so classify a category 5 incorrectly. Posted Image

To be honest though, I look at the poor people in the pictures and hope they've located to somewhere relatively safe.Posted Image We've so much more than those souls.

It seems like they are actually quoting PAGASA's wind estimates, which, as per usual, are far too low.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

It seems like they are actually quoting PAGASA's wind estimates, which, as per usual, are far too low.

I thought I'd seen something earlier saying sustained 200mph, with gusts to 235. I wonder if the BBC have picked up the 235 figure and quoted it as kmh, thereby making a complete pigs ear of the report?

Posted

I thought I'd seen something earlier saying sustained 200mph, with gusts to 235. I wonder if the BBC have picked up the 235 figure and quoted it as kmh, thereby making a complete pigs ear of the report?

It is further complicated by some of the local agencies using 10 minute winds and others 1 minute winds - the earlier figure of 96mph was a 10 minute one - in our familiar formula that would have been considerably higher.

Posted

Further footage from Tacloban City.

Debris visible and wind audible.

http://instagram.com/p/gboELfKWyn/

Really not looking forward to seeing the human side of this as opposed to the pure meteorology in the build up to landfall.

That's been posted in the comments section on Jeff Masters' blog. I can't see it because I'm not on Instagram but those who have are apparently gobsmacked by it, with the wind sounding unreal.

The images which are coming out of Tacloban City at the moment look like the Mississippi coast after Camille and Katrina. It would have been devastated by a significant storm surge as well as the horribly strong winds.