Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st Nov.2013

phil nw.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

LOL everybody getting over excited and some getting over aggressive over deep FI charts that may or may not happen. Happens every year. Still it's nice to have a bit of polar vortex. Possibly.

post-2404-0-06038300-1384285660_thumb.gi

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I think the Ecm 12z op is a peach of a run from early next week onwards, a decent cold plunge south of arctic air, a risk of snow in places, especially the north and over hills but wet snow to low levels in the heavier ppn, widespread frosts with max temps well down into low single digits celsius and soon turning sub zero during the evenings with widespread sharp frosts as time goes on. Later in the run, although we lose the very cold uppers, we retain surface cold with more frost and probably fog, after a few days of high pressure at the end of the run I can imagine another reload of cold from the northwest soon after.Posted Image

post-4783-0-97665800-1384285934_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-57666600-1384285943_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-63472100-1384285952_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-28436700-1384285962_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-62424200-1384285971_thumb.pn

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Latest from Gibby, colder for a time then becoming milder in the north?

All models shows the UK under a ridge of High pressure with light winds and frost overnight. Tomorrow will see the ridge cling on over the South while freshening Westerly winds bring rain and strong winds into the NW late tomorrow, moving quickly SE across all parts overnight and followed by strong NW winds and showers in the North and East. Through Thursday and Friday things calm down again across the South as High pressure builds again. Over the weekend the weather slowly changes again from the NW as freshening Westerly winds bring a trough down over the North on Saturday and the South on Sunday.

GFS then shows a cold Northerly flow for a day or two as we approach midweek next week with showers, wintry in the North. Pressure quickly builds though and milder air topples over the UK in a fresh Westerly wind with a lot of cloud and largely dry weather. Another cold surge sinks South behind a cold front attached to an intense Northern European Low pressure with another spell of squally wintry showers. Late in the run milder air again returns as each new High cell to the West sinks SE and opens the door to Atlantic milder conditions with a North/South split developing at the end of the run.

UKMO closes it's run with Low pressure moving SE close to Northern Scotland with a trough crossing East over the UK through Monday with rain and freshening winds for all in average temperatures.

GEM tonight also shows Low pressure slipping SE over the UK with cold and windy weather developing with rain giving way to wintry showers and probable night frosts. Conditions in the West would be better as High pressure moves in over these areas later with the addition of fog into the wintry mix by night and morning.

NAVGEM shows Low pressure slipping SSW over the UK early next week ending close to the SW of Britain with a chilly and cyclonic flow over the UK bringing rain bearing troughs and showers across the UK, perhaps wintry in the North.

ECM shows a cold Northerly flow developing behind a Low pressure area sinking South just to the East of the UK early next week. The weather will be unsettled with rain or showers at times and it will be cold enough for a time for wintry showers over the hills and maybe some lower ground in the North for a time. Late in the run as Low pressure fills and moves away from the South a ridge of High pressure develops over the UK with fog, dense and freezing in places becoming the likely weather issues for a time ahead of milder air poised to move in from the West over Northern areas following Day 10 

The GFS Ensembles show nothing overly exciting for mild or cold lovers tonight as despite alternating milder and colder days the end result seems to be a very close to average mean for the run for areas North and South. Rainfall amounts though common are never particularly excessive and often of a showery nature. The operational was one of the colder options especially for Northern locations.

The Jet Stream shows the flow migrating North over the Atlantic over the coming days before the flow turns South over the UK early next week. In the longer term there is no clear cut indication of where the flow might lie beyond the middle of next week from tonight's output.

In Summary tonight the weather looks pretty likely to turn colder next week with a spell of unsettled weather when most observers will be looking for their first flakes of snow of the season. However, away from higher ground rain is more likely in the form of showers but over the hills of the north a covering is possible. It looks like it would only be a matter of days before the flow is cut off as pressure builds over or to the SW of the UK bringing the threat to a return of milder air into the North while Southern regions look likely to become under threat of some cold and foggy weather if High pressure remains close by. Frosts though will become a good deal more widespread and frequent in all areas than we have seen so far this Autumn.

http://www.norton-radstockweather.co.uk/Model-Analysis%282859336%29.htm

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Could someone tell me the difference between MLB and HLB. I guess this has something to do with high pressure over Greenland in the next week or so? Thanks

Posted

Blinkin eck,finally got through that lot lol,very interesting model output and to be honest couldnt of wished for better if its cold your after seen as where we were a few days ago.If people have difficulty of topplers,try and think of the high been like a ballon and the low pressures hand squeezing gently at it,the high wont topple/sink whilst been nipped at from Italy lol nor will it go ne towards scandy's fingers,it will dent on the top from Icelands fingers(as that moves east)then squash through the gap to the west-north-west (the weak spot to join its weaker bro)over the top o the se tracking hand from the eastern seaboard lol,hope that helps.

Edited by joggs
  • Like 1

Posted

Leigh,thats mid lat blocking and high lat blocking, with hlb reserved for high lattitudes(pole,Greenland etc) and mid lattitude over us/atlantic.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Leigh,thats mid lat blocking and high lat blocking, with hlb reserved for high lattitudes(pole,Greenland etc) and mid lattitude over us/atlantic.

Mid Latitude blocking is blocking around our locality, Mid Atlantic Ridge is the block as we head into next week. High Latitude blocking is blocking in the Northern Hemisphere which we spent alot of the last few months with, until a few weeks back, 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Mid Latitude blocking is blocking around our locality, Mid Atlantic Ridge is the block as we head into next week. High Latitude blocking is blocking in the Northern Hemisphere which we spent alot of the last few months with, until a few weeks back, 

Quick correction - both HLB and MLB (high-latitude blocking and mid-latitude blocking respectively) are examples of Northern Hemispheric blocking, but HLB is simply in the more northern parts of the Northern Hemisphere, so up towards Greenland and the Arctic. :)

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

People ususal define toppling by the fact that high pressure ends up back over the UK or south of the UK-

At day 10 The high has gone from the classic ridge shape ( stretched ) to a bit more circular ) as the low over the pole moves east along its northern flank)

however look at the energy over the eastern seaboard- its going SSE not NNE - which means that area will soon fill with pressure & that high will once again move back NW, as it does it will pull back a Northerly flow-

a double dip outlook -

There will of course be a milder wedge at somepoint as cold is replaced by mild then replaced by cold again-

So is it a toppler- well not by most peoples definition, is the first phase of cold going to result in a greenland HLB- no, however the second phase has a much higher chance due to the energy flow off the eastern seaboard being south as opposed to North east when the first high tries to get to greenland-

you could say the high pressure ridges North, then gets sheared across the top which allows a slight topple EASTWARDS then the expectation would be migration back NW....

anyway I dont know how many times I can write this in different ways- thats the forecast from day 7 to day 14.- 16

S

Thank you Steve. I wish you had an assistant who could do a little animation for us. I get it but then I don't get it IYSWIM.

Please don't go to the bother of a diagram, I'll just read your post again a few more times so my addled brain can visualise what you're getting at.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Posted ImageEEM1-240.gif              Posted ImageEEM0-240.gif

a couple of charts that will put frosty's ecm ens mean output into some perspective later.   high heights in the se greenland/iceland locale is the favoured day 10 solution with the large spread on uppers over greenland to back this up.  

for those wanting to preach that this is just an old fashioned toppler - well it might turn out like that but if you believe this then you're using instinct rather than the output. the ecm ens say that this will be a more sustained cool/cold spell.

Yes - agree with that. ENS output does indeed suggest something more dramatic than a toppler, and this NH image shows it even more clearly. The blocking pattern to our NW looks pretty impressive

Posted Image

The question I suppose is - how does this tie in with other signals? But before Chio raps my knuckles that is probably for another thread.

Very interesting, and not quite what I expected for the latter third of November. Not that I'm complaining! - but still not totally convinced that this kind of pressure rise will occur quite like this.

Posted

EEM1-240.gif EEM0-240.gifa couple of charts that will put frosty's ecm ens mean output into some perspective later. high heights in the se greenland/iceland locale is the favoured day 10 solution with the large spread on uppers over greenland to back this up. for those wanting to preach that this is just an old fashioned toppler - well it might turn out like that but if you believe this then you're using instinct rather than the output. the ecm ens say that this will be a more sustained cool/cold spell.

maaan your getting me excited now bluearmy!!!cant believe we could be looking at a prolonged cold spell when just a few days ago the models were not showing anything cold at all!!this is winter model watching at its best!!
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

ECM ensemble shows the -5 850's getting no further south than Scotland this evening

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Compared to this mornings runs the cold has backed off, -5 850's got down to the far north of England

• Like 1

Posted

I did post 'more sustained than just a toppler'. That doesnt mean weeks at this stage! Also, i said cool/cold. We could be looking at a prolonged cold spell but just as the models dont say toppler, they also dont say that either. One cannot take issue with those painting a picture at the not cold end and then do the same in the opposite direction.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Remember Chiono ( I know you know) the 11-15 Mean will be diluted by the runs that dont see any blocking....

S

.....which could be offering the correct solution, Steve!

Also to edit that will be tempered somewhat in the NAEFS full 5 day anomly suite as no doubt some members will be over estimating the blocking as well.

However, at least we have something to discuss!

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 2

Posted

i guess my earlier post could be viewed as being euro centric from model point of view. maybe we should check out naefs for day 10 then

post-6981-0-70538700-1384291262_thumb.pn

convinced yet ?

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

yep + the reanalysis site is working again...........

thats a bonus as it was down last time I looked...

S

I constructed that chart back in September - and have been waiting to see if it came into fruition for two months!

Also, we have yet to see anything on any 100hPa charts suggetsing a split in the vortex over Greenland. That concerns me as previously that has always been shown by now if something was in the offing there.

• Like 1