Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
J10

England Down Under for the Ashes (and other Cricket)

Well another massive disappointment for English cricket supporters. Heads down, woeful  display, poor fielding, bad captaincy and team management sat there miserably out of control. Fresh approach needed now or this lot is just going to get buried. No more excuses. Get a grip or go.

C

Noticed the press was on again about Peitersen. Have they got anything better to do???

Well another game and another crushing defeat, we are now hopeless in all forms of the game and where we go from here is anyones guess. IMO a review of the central contract system is needed as we have cricketers paid by their county to play an handful of games per season, this is unacceptable IMO and needs addressing as not only are the counties missing out but so are the out of form alleged international cricketers, whom when out of form should be back plying their  trade back at county level to regain some form.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer

what is Dernbach doing in an england shirt?.....this bloke is a liability and adds absolutely nothing

what is Dernbach doing in an england shirt?.....this bloke is a liability and adds absolutely nothing

A complete mystery. I see the favourites for the coaching job would appear to be Kirsten (if available and he wants it), Moody with Collingwood lurking. I think the latter would bring some authority to the job but I suspect it very unlikely he'll get it. I'm afraid they will go for a safe pair of hands which we don't need.

Edited by knocker

great response by england 82-6 Posted Image

92-7

Edited by Boro Snow

Thumped again by 84 runs. England be thinking to themselves thank god!

Agree, he is a useless worthless piece of s.h.1.t

well at least it is over now, gawd alone knows what can be salvaged from what WH suggests as, quite possibly correctly, the worst ever tour.

well at least it is over now, gawd alone knows what can be salvaged from what WH suggests as, quite possibly correctly, the worst ever tour.

Hopefully the knowledge now that the facts are indisputable, negativity as in life, also fails in cricket, but it wouldn't surprise me if England don't learn and continue in the same vein, if we think we can just block our way to a 4-0 win against India this time then  think again.

Flower and Swann gone

I don't think we will see Carberry, Bresnan, Tremlett playing for England Test side again.

I think Bairstow, Trott, Rankin are doubtful to be seen in any future England Test side.

How long will Pietersen be considered? Is Prior finished? Panesar seems to be out of it

The ODIs and T20s

I don't see what use Dernbach is.

Yep the whole tour was an embarrasing shambles.

Wholesale changes in personnel and attitude needed from the top down.

We know a new coach will be appointed but as nice a bloke as Cook is we need a more positive captain on the field too.

Too many times we have seen indecision wrt tactics when the game has turned against us,especially field placings and bowlers lengths.

I think this tour we have turned more decent positions in to losses than i can remember,especially in the tests but also in at least 2 of the 1 dayers.

I have great doubts now regarding KP for the future-he doesn't play enough first class cricket and his consistency has gone.

At his age unless he fully commits instead of choosing when he is available then we should look to the future.

Perhaps a new batting line up is due with only Cook,Bell and Root in the top order from the current test squad.

Yes thank god that's all over. I have very vague memories of the 50-51 tour, ( i was only eight ) when England under Freddie Brown lost the series 4-1. They lost the first four and won the last. Much better in 54-5 under Len when it was the other way around and the typhoon had them more than a little scared ably backed up by 'George' Statham.

Anyway I had to check on the Brown tour to get the details sorted and by so doing was reminded of the strange scorecard in the first test at the Gabba. If I remember correctly Hutton's 62 in the second innings on the Brisbane 'sticky dog' was reckoned by many to be one of his finest knocks. In fact he had a great tour averaging 88 whereas Compton averaged 7. We sure could do with a couple like that at the moment.

http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Scorecards/19/19560.html

Edited by knocker

Look at poor old New Road cricket ground earlier today...........underwater yet again Posted Image

post-13544-0-78489300-1391372120_thumb.j

Bish

How did it implode so quickly though?

Yes there were warning signs but not that it should turned into this level of a disaster.

The obvious reason is they were well below par but why were they so under par? I think that is only part of the reason anyway, was there a deep rooted problem that ran through the team? Was there a schism in the team?

Selection didn't help, the 2nd opener position was uncertain, Trott should have never been selected, why did Swann go in this tour if he had doubts about his abilities, the Finn debacle.

Something seriously wrong to me.

Well for sure Giles isn't the answer. The ODI side has been a shambles since he took over.

Broad raises a laugh

He managed it with one of the biggest pieces of understatement ever heard in a post-match interview: “We have got areas to improve.†And he even kept a straight face.

Flower and Swann goneI don't think we will see Carberry, Bresnan, Tremlett playing for England Test side again.I think Bairstow, Trott, Rankin are doubtful to be seen in any future England Test side.How long will Pietersen be considered? Is Prior finished? Panesar seems to be out of itThe ODIs and T20sI don't see what use Dernbach is.

Flower - Gutted he's gone, but it was the right time unless he wanted to change his philosophy.

Swann - Huge loss, but injury saw him over the hill. Not worth a place.

Trott - Huge loss, but it'l be virtually impossible for him to get back to the middle in the test arena with such obvious mental issues.

Carberry - Meh. 

Bresnan - Thank god. 

Tremlett - Should never have gone to Aus.

Bairstow - Too many technical downfalls, going to struggle to overtake Buttler and Prior in the near future as keeper. Will mature when he's 28/29. 

Rankin - Couldn't care less.

Prior - Not finished, will come back and prove he still has it

KP - Will be picked until the world cup 2015 at least, probably retire after the 2015 Ashes Series.

Panesar - Don't think he's helped himself with his off field performance in recent times. 

Time for the likes of Luke Wright, Vince, Hales, Buttler, Stokes, Taylor to get into the test team. Keep Root, Cook, Bell, KP, Anderson, Broad and then build a new team around them. Please don't bring Compton back, he's everything that sums up Flower's style of cricket and negativity within a team. The openers are there to set a tone, not get us to 70-1 after 3 hours of batting and then either get out or finally get a good ball, having scored 25 from 90 balls.

Oh and the selection of Dernbach sums the tour up. He's one of the worst players to play for us since the dark days of the late 90's.

Edited by PolarWarsaw

If you want to keep an eye on what could be termed the next generation of England test players then keep track of the Lions tour to Sri Lanka.

Their opening 3 day match ended in a draw of which England Lions had the best and there were good performances by Sam Robson, Moeen Ali and James Taylor for the batsmen while Chris Woakes, Mark Wood and Ali again did well with the ball. Interestingly Scott Borthwick is playing so is clearly in the thoughts going forward.

If you want to keep an eye on what could be termed the next generation of England test players then keep track of the Lions tour to Sri Lanka.

Their opening 3 day match ended in a draw of which England Lions had the best and there were good performances by Sam Robson, Moeen Ali and James Taylor for the batsmen while Chris Woakes, Mark Wood and Ali again did well with the ball. Interestingly Scott Borthwick is playing so is clearly in the thoughts going forward.

Problem is that Taylor (although admittedly vastly improved since), Woakes and Borthwick have been tried and were dog biscuits, is Wood that left arm seamer for Hampshire? if so he looks like a bit of a trundler who will do well on those two paced slow low pitches but will get pummelled most of the time, Ali looks decent, haven't seen Robson yet.