Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013-2014 Discussion- Part 2

Posted

The mean sea level for winter was the lowest since at least 1951 for the UK and Ireland

Posted Image

Source

Is that because the data only goes back to 1951? I'd be surprised at anything much lower having occurred even as recently as that given the ferocity of the depressions this winter and the extreme rainfall recorded, but suppose if the anomaly was positioned differently (e.g. centred over or to the east of the UK rather than west) we could have experienced drier conditions due to less influence from Atlantic fronts?

Posted

That's one of those images which says a thousand words.

I'm bit late on this, but here it is anyway - it's the beginning of February and Hitler is still waiting for winter to arrive...

It's my very first attempt at a Downfall video, so don't be too harsh!

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

time to write march off now for snow, low levels south, frosty nights possible, but northerly topplers at best I think from mid march, not producing much if any snow for the south,

not expecting to see any snow now before April 1st

Posted

That's one of those images which says a thousand words.

I'm bit late on this, but here it is anyway - it's the beginning of February and Hitler is still waiting for winter to arrive...

It's my very first attempt at a Downfall video, so don't be too harsh!

Totally Hilarious

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm & Sunny

Anyone miss lamp post watching the past winter?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ9WCjD3JS4

Nope, not one little bit. The only upside from all the rain was that at least it wasn't snow falling!! 

• Like 1

Posted

I suspect we have seen more frosts this month than during the whole winter just gone. Really glad winter 2013/14 is over, a complete non-starter cold snowfall wise - a shocker and I hope not repeated for a long time to come. To endure the wettest winter less than a year after the wettest year on record 2012 for England and Wales is preety unprecedented.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Winter finally arrives this weekend, its been a long wait Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

At least winter 2014-15 can't be any worse than this one (or can it)? Encouraging to see that some basic building blocks will be in the right place next winter.

• Like 2

Posted

Winter finally arrives this weekend, its been a long wait Posted Image

Although it's far too early to say I've got a feeling we could see a cool/cold April a la '89, after a very mild preceding Dec-Mar.

Edited by March Blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Although it's far too early to say I've got a feeling we could see a cool/cold April a la '89, after a very mild preceding Dec-Mar.

Certainly hope so!

Posted

Already thinking about a snowy holiday next winter - I feel snow starved this year unlike recent ones, and need a snow fix. Wouldn't be surprised to see snowfall this April and there are a number of signals pointing to a colder than normal April this year.

• Like 2

Posted

Already thinking about a snowy holiday next winter - I feel snow starved this year unlike recent ones, and need a snow fix. Wouldn't be surprised to see snowfall this April and there are a number of signals pointing to a colder than normal April this year.

If you think you're snow-starved, I spent last winter in the southern hemisphere and the winter before that brought little snow. So since January 2011 the only snow I've had is a brief thin covering in December 2011 and about 20 minutes of falling (not sticking) snow last month.

I needed this "winter" like the proverbial hole in the head.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Was hoping for a late cold blast from the North-east but this now looks unlikely.

I'll let Captain Picard sum this "winter" up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter.

what winter did i miss it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Death Rate Down After Warm Winter Weather

The mild winter dramatically reduced the number of deaths, particularly among the elderly, research by Sky News has shown. Between the start of December and mid-March, 10,881 fewer people died in England and Wales, a drop of 6.7% compared to last winter and 5.2% down on the five-year average. It is the lowest winter mortality for at least eight years, largely because of the unusually warm winter and low rates of flu. Hospitals also benefited from the benign weather. They had feared a surge of patients over recent months but have coped far better than last year. Dr Simon Eccles, a consultant in emergency medicine at St Thomas' Hospital, London, said: "In some ways we got away with it this year.

"Had we had a particularly cold snap, had we had a large outbreak of flu or winter vomiting virus, most hospitals would have really struggled to cope. "Clearly people had planned and there was some additional money, though broadly similar to sums we had in previous years. "But we were, in many ways, saved by having a mild winter." Sky's analysis of death registrations published by the Office of National Statistics shows the drop in deaths this winter was particularly marked in the elderly, with 7.2% fewer 75-84-year-olds and 9.9% fewer over-85s dying compared to last year.

http://news.sky.com/story/1234074/death-rate-down-after-warm-winter-weather

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

A summary of the winter as seen by UK Met is available for anyone who can access R Met Soc information in their April 2014 issue of Weather.

Picking some bits out of it

'was mild and exceptionally stormy with low pressure dominating almost throughout...first storm ...early December caused a storm surge down North Sea coasts and at least 12 major systems followed from mid December to mid February.

...Mean temperatures..well above average..all 3 months ...frosts notably absent. UK mean T 5.2C, 1.5C above 1981-2010 average.. Lowest minimum -7.7C Altnahara 17 February..highest such value for at least 50 years...Any snowfalls..largely confined to Scotland's mountains.. UK winter rainfall was 161% of average...wettest winter in series ... also wettest winter England..Wales since 1766.'