Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013-2014 Discussion- Part 2

Posted

some bits from my 18 years data

the 'Manchester Index'=2, obviously the lowest ever

no snow=not too unusual here for individual winter months but not happened with all 3 before

a wet winter with 62 days with at least a trace of rain, the highest in 18 years

not sure about Tmax, Tmin yet

add the highest gust on my Davis of 51 mph the evening of 12 February since it was installed in 2005

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

that data may make some on here feel less upset at the UK winter Sebastiaan

That's fine John.

What amazes me, that in the Netherlands it was near normal in terms of rainfall, and in the south (east) of the UK there was much more rain then normal.

http://www.mscha.org/knmi/winter.cgi?station=260&reverse=0

neerslag=rainfall

Posted

Can't believe I am saying this but at long last I'm pleased to put this 'winter' to bed. Hoping for much better fortunes next winter - this winter has been at the extreme end of shocking and the probability of an equally poor winter next year are exceptionally slim. It has felt like one long storm that cast a despondent gloom throughout. I've ran out of expletives to describe this winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A few preliminary, and highly unusual, statistics for the winter just gone at this site.

The lowest maximum temperature was the highest for any winter in the last 50 years.

The lowest minimum temp' was also the highest for any winter in the last 50 years

The highest minimum temp' was the second lowest in the last 50 years; only the winter of 1984/85 recorded lower.

The actual figures in the order they are listed above are; 2.3c; -1.0c and 5.6c

I think those stats are strongly reflective of the lack of temperature variation that we've seen this winter. 

I haven't got my February stats compiled yet but there have been several air frosts here this winter thanks to being close to the notorious frost hollow at Topcliffe, but none got much below -1C.  I can thus see the Manchester winter index coming out higher here than at many other locations, but still with a very low score, as there were only two days with sleet/snow falling in the entire winter quarter and none with anything on the ground at 0900.  It has certainly been less wintry than any of the preceding 20 winters that I lived through, at a wide spread of locations, mostly Tyneside but also with stints at Lancaster, Leeds, Norwich and even Exeter.

With low pressure often very close to the British Isles we've failed to pick up any semi-potent northerlies or easterlies, and the depression cores have tended to mix out any particularly cold air from the west, but the proximity of low pressure has also prevented any particularly warm south-westerlies from establishing for long, apart from a spell in the second week of December which mainly affected Scotland with closer to average temperatures further south.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2

Posted

Yes the most notable aspect of this winter has been an almost consistent type of condition throughout with very little variety. This condition has been one dominated by low pressure and an airstream from between SW and WNW for the most part, sourced directly from the west rather than NW or a particularly long drawn SW flow bar as Thundery Showers mentioned the second week of December.

The result has been a stream of days with maxima a couple of degrees above normal but never particularly exceptionally mild, and nights have been consistently well above average thanks to limited clear skies and light winds. Indeed had we seen a few ridges and clear calm skies then we should have seen many nights close to freezing as uppers especially during the second half of the winter have been conducive for such temperatures - alas the wind rain and cloud put paid to that. The last couple of nights has shown how a brief break in the cloud and rain has resulted in widespread air frosts for many under a temp profile very similar to what we have seen during the last 6 weeks.

Looking at the background northern hemispheric synoptical pattern, I do wonder whether this winter has been an oddity and anomaly, I wonder if there has been a winter with similar synoptics i.e. a rampant PV with deep cold core locked in position over NE Canada and a strong high pressure over aluetians/Alaska, very warm SST's just off the SE USA coast, a cold SST pool in the mid atlantic... I suspect not, and unfortunately this winter all the key ingredients needed for a supper charged jet have come together, in any other year one of these ingredients would have been missing.

• Like 1

Posted

today making up for it, bits of shallow Cu otherwise, blue skies, no wind and coffee sat in the garden-great

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

A remarkable Winter requiring analysis, that has already begun by the above posters.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The last 3 months can't be referred to as "winter" as far as I'm concerned. That season will be the benchmark for horror winters for years to come, it will take some doing to beat it.

• Like 4

Posted

The last 3 months can't be referred to as "winter" as far as I'm concerned. That season will be the benchmark for horror winters for years to come, it will take some doing to beat it.

You're not wrong!!

• Like 1

Posted

Can't believe I am saying this but at long last I'm pleased to put this 'winter' to bed. Hoping for much better fortunes next winter - this winter has been at the extreme end of shocking and the probability of an equally poor winter next year are exceptionally slim. It has felt like one long storm that cast a despondent gloom throughout. I've ran out of expletives to describe this winter.

In terms of temperature the KNMI such a winter as 2014 repeats itself once in 35 years.

Posted

don't tempt fate

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers, cold winters

Its been a bad winter for snow, cold certainly, but at least an interesting one. The wettest winter in 250 years was worth seeing. Maybe in 2200 they will still use 2014 as the benchmark of how wet a winter can be :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

If anything needs refuting, its the claim made by a few people that most of us have hated this monstrosity of a winter "because there was no snow"

WRONG! We hated it because there were far too many days of rain and wind, which resulted in abject misery for so many people, not to mention that the hateful weather trashed Christmas for so many. We hated it because there was too little dry weather.

It was the same damn thing over and over...too much of the same weather becomes a pain in the backside, and this weather had lost its novelty by January...so to hell and damnation with you "Winter" 2013/14. Good riddance!! You won't be missed!

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

While I'm a big cold and snow fan, I still enjoyed much of the winter. I had 2 days of lying snow here (never lasted more than a few hours) and numerous days with sleet/snow falling. Which is probably not far off normal for southern Ireland.

There was plenty of interesting weather too.

The high rainfall totals meant there was lots of flooding about to take photos of and rainfall records to watch tumble.

While I might have had another opinion if I suffered bad damage, the storms were very exciting. Lots of damage around to survey, the sight of huge trees hundreds of years old snapped in 2 is somewhat awe inspiring. The roar of the wind and the house shaking got the adrenaline going at least once! Following various forums and twitter streams with realtime updates from across the British Isles during the storms was fascinating. Included in that were numerous intense hail showers here and a couple of thunderstorms.The storms also resulted in some exciting model watching too.

Overall, an very interesting winter, if not the most variable. 6/10 I'd say.

• Like 2

Posted

If anything needs refuting, its the claim made by a few people that most of us have hated this monstrosity of a winter "because there was no snow"

WRONG! We hated it because there were far too many days of rain and wind, which resulted in abject misery for so many people, not to mention that the hateful weather trashed Christmas for so many. We hated it because there was too little dry weather.

It wasn't much cop for me 'cos we didn't get much of anything. No snow, like almost everyone else, and none of the fantastic storms which I could only read about wistfully. The worst of both worlds, really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

This has been the very first winter, in which I haven't seen so mush as a single snowflake!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The mean air pressure at 0900 in February  was 994.0mb, the lowest value for any month in the last 50 years here.The previous record was 996.2mb in November 2000. Prior to 2014 the lowest mean air pressure for  February was 1002.6mb in 1990 and 2010.

The mean air pressure for the whole winter at 0900  was 1001.1mb, also the lowest on record. The previous record was 1004.0mb in 1965/66.  

Edited by Terminal Moraine
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Maybe worth getting one of these for next Winter, just for emergencies..

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Ah well, roll on winter :)

Posted

Well we've made it through and out of the other side of that abhorrent winter.

It's OK folks....it's alright......it's over now...there there...winter 2013/14 has been and past. Onwards and upwards.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

So glad to c the back of this extended autumn hope we don't c a winter like this for along time. W2013-2014 will be remembored for all the wrong reasons and here i was thinking we couldn't get something as bad as 88-89. However cynopticly it has been really interesting and also a record wettest for 250 years. Lets hope we don't brake this record any time soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

don't tempt fate

Well in terms of snow it literally cannot be any worse for me!

Posted

The mean sea level for winter was the lowest since at least 1951 for the UK and Ireland

Posted Image

Source

Thanks for that gav - i assumed it might be approaching record breaking territory. 63 years isnt too bad though!