Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013-2014 Discussion- Part 2

Posted

So are we going to bother with a winter review thread where we can rate it out of 10 this year?

Or shall we just have a thread to see who can come up with the best adjective to describe the winter instead?

Depends on personal weather preferences I suppose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Braemar recorded -8.1 C in November so It was the second Coldest. 

Temperatures have been mild But in terms of snow it has been record breaking for the highlands.

That was Autumn still

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

So are we going to bother with a winter review thread where we can rate it out of 10 this year?Or shall we just have a thread to see who can come up with the best adjective to describe the winter instead?Depends on personal weather preferences I suppose.

I propose that to refer to this winter from April 1st be declared heresy and that anybody who does so be executed as the memories of this winter be purged from our minds. 

• Like 1

Posted

Does anyone have the figures on hand for the lowest temperature recorded each winter (D-J-F)?

At just -7.7C we could be looking at the highest winter minima recorded, I'd have thought.

The "winter season" (N-D-J-F-M) is at just -8.1C, although there is still plenty of time for that to be surpassed.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Winters Dec Jan Feb it doesn't last five months. With ten days left and no sign of any cold even in FI it looks like -7.7C is going to be it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I can't quite comprehend how bad this winter has been, it is now looking very likely that most people will have gone the entire season without seeing any snow or even a cold snap. For many, this winter blows all of the horrendous ones of the 90s and 00s out of the water. Even most of those horror-winters had at least a northerly toppler embedded.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I can't quite comprehend how bad this winter has been, it is now looking very likely that most people will have gone the entire season without seeing any snow or even a cold snap. For many, this winter blows all of the horrendous ones of the 90s and 00s out of the water. Even most of those horror-winters had at least a northerly toppler embedded.

I have not even seen sleet.

This winter has been about as bad as it could possibly get - I just want to put it all behind me and move on! 

• Like 1

Posted

I have not even seen sleet.

This winter has been about as bad as it could possibly get - I just want to put it all behind me and move on! 

I've had 5 minutes of light sleet at about 2am. That's it. I can count the number of frosts on one hand as well.

Posted

Had an e mail from winter 2013-2014

‘I apologise for missing things but it was caused by something called the Jet Stream.

My apologies to all my fans, especially Steve M, Nick S and others. My son of 2013-14, already practising promises to do better in 2014-2015’

End of message

copied into the model  thread

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Yes we've seen deep FI charts all winter and none of these have come off. Even cold spells a few days away have slumped to average to cool days on the whole. Take this week it was going to cool down again at the end not any more.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I've had 5 minutes of light sleet at about 2am. That's it. I can count the number of frosts on one hand as well.

Cannock would have had a decent fall last tues, higher than here, so I assume maybe 2 inches

Posted

Yes we've seen deep FI charts all winter and none of these have come off. Even cold spells a few days away have slumped to average to cool days on the whole. Take this week it was going to cool down again at the end not any more.

Absolutely. You know it's a bad state of affairs when you have to resort to FI in the ensembles for any comfort. The story of most of the winter. Bring on some pleasantly warm, spring days please.

Posted

No sleet or snow here either. All this winter has to its name is four air frosts in January, the coldest of which was just -2.1C. The lowest maxima of the winter so far was 4.8C, with January (and February too by the looks) recording the highest low maximum on record. Only 7 days have had maximums below 6C and 18 days below 7C!

Its been dull as a weather enthusiast locally too, we've had pretty average rainfall, average sunshine and a distinct lack of very mild days.

Even 1988/89 wasn't this bad, I didn't think it could possibly get worse that that winter.

• Like 1

Posted

I propose a title change to put Winter in inverted commas!

Posted

The only saving grace this winter has to the Epic season Scotland Ski resorts are having..According to bbc nevis range had its busiest day in 10 years with 1700 skiers.

post-20651-0-43779900-1392794240_thumb.j

The car queues at glenshee.

post-20651-0-65338100-1392794324_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

No sleet or snow here either. All this winter has to its name is four air frosts in January, the coldest of which was just -2.1C. The lowest maxima of the winter so far was 4.8C, with January (and February too by the looks) recording the highest low maximum on record. Only 7 days have had maximums below 6C and 18 days below 7C!

Its been dull as a weather enthusiast locally too, we've had pretty average rainfall, average sunshine and a distinct lack of very mild days.

Even 1988/89 wasn't this bad, I didn't think it could possibly get worse that that winter.

I'm guessing that your location must have been too sheltered to catch the sleet/snow showers on the evening of the 11th February- that was often an issue for me when I was living near the Tyne & Wear coast.  Here in Sandhutton we got some sleet/snow showers that evening, which produced a dusting that froze over, but it then turned less cold after midnight, and following a minimum of 1.1C it warmed up to 2.5C with rain/sleet showers and a thaw.

During 20 years of records in Cleadon (1993-2012) I didn't record a winter anywhere near as snowless as this one, and I don't think they've had more than a couple of days of sleet/snow falling up in Tyneside either.  As you mention, the comparably snowless 1988/89 was preceded by a snowy spell around 20 November, while this winter I had one day of sleet mixed with rain (also 20 November) and that was it.

I haven't found this winter's weather that interesting locally either- for the most part it's been belts of steady moderate rain, but sometimes in large amounts which is why I recorded 100mm in January, and polar maritime air has struggled to establish for long.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Only a few patches left on Yad moss..

post-12319-0-64449300-1392920752_thumb.j

Posted
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich

With it being the wettest winter on record, in what circumstance could we have kept the precipitaion.......................................but have it as snow rather than rain? 

Maybe constant battlegrounds with dividing the line somewhere over the uk?

Edited by Mr.Plow

Posted

13.2°C recorded in Gravesend, Kent today as of 15:00 with Northolt closely behind at 13.0°C

Will it be warmer or colder tomorrow?

Sunday looks mild.