Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013-2014 Discussion- Part 2

Posted

Met office Extremes From Last Night :

Highest Temperature : Shoeburyness 10.3 C.

Lowest Maximum Temperature  : Dalwhinnie 3.1 C.

Lowest Minimum Temeperature : Altnaharra - 3.0 C.

Highest Rainfall :Libanus  47 mm

Sunniest : Wittering 6.3 Hours

Posted

http://www.knmi.nl/cms/nieuws/nieuwsbericht/_rp_column1-1_elementId/1_118066

et uitermate wisselvallige, zeer zachte en natte weer, dat nu al de hele winter aanhoudt wordt veroorzaakt door een hardnekkig luchtdrukpatroon. Voortdurend trekken diepe depressies over de Atlantische Oceaan naar de Britse Eilanden.

Herhalingstijd in jaren van de laagste luchtdruk. Zo'n gemiddeld lage luchtdruk bij Schotland komt minder dan eens in de honderd jaar voor (Bron: KNMI)
Opvallend is de zeer lage luchtdruk in de kern van de depressies die het zeegebied ten noordwesten van Schotland aandoen. Zo’n hardnekkig drukpatroon komt weinig voor. Uit een statistische analyse door het KNMI blijkt dat zo’n laag dagelijks gemiddelde van de luchtdruk deze winter in dat gebied minder dan eens in de honderd jaar voorkomt.De depressies veroorzaken veel regen en wind in het westen en zuiden van Europa. Vooral Ierland, Engeland en Frankrijk hebben te maken met wateroverlast. In grote delen van Engeland was januari nog nooit zo nat. De kustgebieden ondervinden bovendien hinder van hoge golven.Ook in ons land regeert deze winter de zachte zuidwester. Op sommige plaatsen in Zeeland heeft het de hele winter nog op geen enkele dag gevroren. Sneeuw is tot nu toe alleen in het noordoosten waargenomen. Door het aanhoudend zachte weer ligt de winter op koers om bij de zachtste in drie eeuwen te eindigen.Het KNMI verwacht dat het vrij zachte en wisselvallige weer met soms veel regen en wind ook de komende tien dagen aanhoudt.

KNMI reported a very rare area of low pressure NW of Scotland during this winter. (so average pressure from 1 december till begin of februar).

Less than 100 years of repeating it self. Please use translate google if your Dutch ain't that good.

post-10577-0-43779200-1392037376_thumb.j

Edited by sebastiaan1973

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Interesting video of Januaries weather systems, taken from EUMETSAT's Meteosat-10.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The disruption caused by this horrendous winter really puts it into perspective compared to the relative nuisance of the cold and snow. This will really go down in history as one of the most prolonged, damaging and disruptive spells of weather in UK history. We'll be seeing repercussions of this spell for months to come. 

• Like 4

Posted

The disruption caused by this horrendous winter really puts it into perspective compared to the relative nuisance of the cold and snow. This will really go down in history as one of the most prolonged, damaging and disruptive spells of weather in UK history. We'll be seeing repercussions of this spell for months to come.

Not strictly true, Nick.A deep freeze is much more damaging, because it tends to be more widespread across the country.The flood issue is confined to a relatively few areas.And certainly from an insurance perspective a deep freeze is much more damaging because it usually encompasses a much wider area and many many more households.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything except average!

Not strictly true, Nick.A deep freeze is much more damaging, because it tends to be more widespread across the country.The flood issue is confined to a relatively few areas.And certainly from an insurance perspective a deep freeze is much more damaging because it usually encompasses a much wider area and many many more households.

to be fair you are both right, in fact all extremes of weather can be disruptive,too dry,too hot too cold/snowy yet we all crave them at given times of the year. Murphy's law dictates that the only extreme we don't crave is the one type of weather we get the most,wet and windy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Relative to the winter that we're having, I think a cold snowy winter would have more social/recreational benefits (e.g. bringing local communities together, snowballs, snowmen, sledging, skiing), but I also agree with the view that it would have greater negative impacts as well, particularly re. inconvenience, disruption and financial concerns.

A problem that we generally get in these situations is that social/recreational benefits are dismissed as non-essential, and negative work/health/economy-related impacts are taken seriously.  I think this is why the mainstream media tends to marginalise lovers of snow and other types of disruptive weather.

I have stated in the past that I sometimes find changeable westerly spells in winter quite enjoyable, but they tend to be the ones with a large polar maritime influence, and for most of this winter the frontal passages have been so frequent that the polar maritime airmasses have rarely been able to establish for more than 12-24 hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Relative to the winter that we're having, I think a cold snowy winter would have more social/recreational benefits (e.g. bringing local communities together, snowballs, snowmen, sledging, skiing), but I also agree with the view that it would have greater negative impacts as well, particularly re. inconvenience, disruption and financial concerns.

A problem that we generally get in these situations is that social/recreational benefits are dismissed as non-essential, and negative work/health/economy-related impacts are taken seriously.  I think this is why the mainstream media tends to marginalise lovers of snow and other types of disruptive weather.

I have stated in the past that I sometimes find changeable westerly spells in winter quite enjoyable, but they tend to be the ones with a large polar maritime influence, and for most of this winter the frontal passages have been so frequent that the polar maritime airmasses have rarely been able to establish for more than 12-24 hours.

I used to have to hide my love for snow as my mom used to think I was trying to get her not to send me to school (which I was - detested every day of my school life), the classic example of having to hide my delight at snow was the evening of the 7th Feb 1991, my sister left work at 5pm and was still not home by 10 or 11pm, we had had about 10 inches in about 5 hours, I was thinking - ******* brilliant, I knew the cold was entrenched and here to stay and therefore knew that the more that fell, the longer I would have off school, but my mom was crying so had to pretend to be hoping it would stop but I wasn't, I wanted more, I did warn everyone in my family and even boasted at school that we were going to get battered on the Monday after Ian MCcaskill's countryfile 'Good afternoon, the coldest spell of weather for 4 years' forecast on the sunday but no one would listen. Since I got back into this lark in Feb 09, I don't hide it anymore and I don't care what anyone thinks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I used to have to hide my love for snow as my mom used to think I was trying to get her not to send me to school (which I was - detested every day of my school life), the classic example of having to hide my delight at snow was the evening of the 7th Feb 1991, my sister left work at 5pm and was still not home by 10 or 11pm, we had had about 10 inches in about 5 hours, I was thinking - ******* brilliant, I knew the cold was entrenched and here to stay and therefore knew that the more that fell, the longer I would have off school, but my mom was crying so had to pretend to be hoping it would stop but I wasn't, I wanted more, I did warn everyone in my family and even boasted at school that we were going to get battered on the Monday after Ian MCcaskill's countryfile 'Good afternoon, the coldest spell of weather for 4 years' forecast on the sunday but no one would listen. Since I got back into this lark in Feb 09, I don't hide it anymore and I don't care what anyone thinks.

you should get yourself to the Scottish highlands ,the snow they have this year is the most in a generation better even than alpine ski resorts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

True, but the flooding has been far more damaging to individual people than snow ever will. Not as widespread maybe, but more destructive. The worst thing that might happen to my home during a deep freeze is my pipes freezing up.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

meanwhile Ski resorts in highlands are enjoying metres upon metres of Snow..Ski Resorts seem to be Busy than ever before..Here is a recent snap from Glenshee.

Posted Image1601264_292442337547046_1542202551_n.jpg

Next week will be packed at the resorts with the school holidays

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

After all the storms recently, it was nice to wake up to this for a change

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

My winter f'cast was effectively, a mild start, staying mild, turning cooler and wetter in January and cold in February.

It was wrong.

Probably spent the majority of winter expecting that shift in late Jan/early Feb... and it didn't surface.

Roll on winter 2014/15!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

My winter f'cast was effectively, a mild start, staying mild, turning cooler and wetter in January and cold in February.

It was wrong.

Probably spent the majority of winter expecting that shift in late Jan/early Feb... and it didn't surface.

Roll on winter 2014/15!

It was wrong.

Roll on winter 2014/15!

No need to feel bad ,every one else got it wrong too!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Posted · Hidden by feb1991blizzard, February 14, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by feb1991blizzard, February 14, 2014 - No reason given

To sum this winter up.

prune

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Goes to show how mild this winter has been if that's the coldest it's got so far!

I think ive had two minor frosts this year.

Dont think temps here got anywhere lower than -2c on more than 3 days.

Most days its been between 4c and 11c.

Bad winter. :(

Lets hope summer is full of very hot days and thundery nights.

• Like 1

Posted

Last night temperatures fell to -7.7C at Altnaharra in Scotland, which makes it the coldest night of the winter so far.

Braemar recorded -8.1 C in November so It was the second Coldest. 

Goes to show how mild this winter has been if that's the coldest it's got so far!

Temperatures have been mild But in terms of snow it has been record breaking for the highlands.

Braemar recorded -8.1 C in November so It was the second Coldest. 

Temperatures have been mild But in terms of snow it has been record breaking for the highlands.

Technically then that would've been the coldest night of the autumn.

Ironic that the best conditions for snow growth and retention in the Highlands would be year round cool maritime conditions, not the cold winter extremes that many crave and suggest are becoming more common.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well with it looking to stay relatively mild until spring once can say for here at least it's been a year without winter. Snow confined to a few hours and zero cover. Only four air frosts recorded and unless the present models change their outlook this won't be added to. Basically we went from an late Autumn to an early spring.