Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013-2014 Discussion- Part 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Here's a thought, in these recent Winters (past 5/6 years) we have had the coldest December in a century, now the wettest January in a century, so perhaps next February will be the snowiest in a century...  

We can but hope, but I for one believe we are well overdue a proper wintry February Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Not even had snow in the Cotsworlds this year! 

Every year without fail we have at least a few days of lying snow.

Its not even snowed ( apart from a little icey snow during the recent rainstorms )

What make this winter worse is that summer will be here before we know it and it will just feel strange having autumn for 1/2 a year and then summer again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

@dusk 1983. I don't understand yor most people liking this winter have u been out and about around the country with a clipboard and papers? Because if u have then u certainly haven't asked those unlucky folks living in the south west. As for this winter soon as it's over the better. Only snow i've seen so far was on wednessday for about 10-20mins. I can't remembor last time the atlantic been this active.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Ive seen a lot of people say, "As soon as Winter is over, the better!" As if the weather follows the seasons and on March 1st, it suddenly comes dry and sunny. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Ive seen a lot of people say, "As soon as Winter is over, the better!" As if the weather follows the seasons and on March 1st, it suddenly comes dry and sunny. 

Hopefully, it'll become sunny and dry before the 1st of March. I doubt it though.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The final winter monthly update from weather online with hints of an improvement towards the end of the month with milder and drier weather possibly making a welcome return

Valid from 08/12 to 04/01 2014
Improving later

Issued: Monday 3rd February 2014
Duty forecaster: Simon Keeling & Captain Bob

A February of two halves

There have long been indications that the unsettled weather of January would spill over (pun intended) into February, and that is exactly how things are shaping up.

The early part of the month looks to be dominated by a westerly flow bringing wind and rain from the Atlantic, whilst in the second half of the month pressure builds and the weather begins to settle down.

This settling process make take a time to arrive, but the signs are there that it may well make its presence known before the month ends.

*8/2/14 to 14/2/14*

Another unsettled week. The jet stream will be strong across the Atlantic, blowing fronts from west to east and bringing heavy periods of rain. There is the threat of gales to, and small scale areas of low pressure may spin up to bring spells of severe to storm force winds. Further localised flooding is possible, especially early in the week. We are hopeful of the rain and winds easing later.

*15/2/14 to 21/2/14*

A still largely unsettled week, and if we hadn't have had such wet conditions recently, it is a week which would have been described as 'wet'. However, in comparison with recent events it's likely to be a mixed week with periods of rain followed by sunshine and showers. The showers could be heavy at times, and it may be windy too. A continued build of pressure towards the end of the week across the south of the country probably bringing some very welcome drier weather later.

*22/2/14 to 28/2/14*

Hints of an improvement in the weather for most of the country through this period. Higher pressure may start to nudge into the south, and although not settling over the UK and Ireland, it will be making its presence felt by making the rain less frequent and perhaps bringing drier weather to the south. It could also become fairly mild, as well as dry with sunshine, the best in the east and south. Rain may continue to affect northern and western Scotland as well as the northern half of Ireland.

Simon & Capn Bob

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?LANG=en&MENU=205&FILE=tma&DAY=20140203

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything except average!

Although this winter will be remembered for its record rainfall totals and temperatures above average, I would say that the temps have not been overly mild considering the general zonality of the weather this season. Its perhaps the absence of low minimus that has distorted the average temp figures. The lack of frosts certainly here in Norfolk have been notable.

• Like 1

Posted

Although this winter will be remembered for its record rainfall totals and temperatures above average, I would say that the temps have not been overly mild considering the general zonality of the weather this season. Its perhaps the absence of low minimus that has distorted the average temp figures. The lack of frosts certainly here in Norfolk have been notable.

You are dead right.  This winter has been notable for a complete lack of any cold weather for most of the country - not for a large amount of mild weather with temps of 10*C+.  There have not been an especially large amount of mild days like this.  It has been just 7-8*C days all the time with no fluctuation either way.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I think it is quite striking that we have been stuck in the same pattern since mid-dec. Exceptions are a settled blip thrown in here and there, with changes only reaching our doorstep without stepping in fully.

I am finding it unusual that it is going on and on. Is it more common than I think it is? Seems bizarre to me that once again we are 'stuck in a rut'. Feels like a common occurence in recent years with setups lasting weeks on end rather than days on end...

Poor winter so far with nothing getting the chance of drying out before the next batch of rain arrives. I am beginning to look towards the convective season beginning with hopefully some settled weather in between.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

I think it is quite striking that we have been stuck in the same pattern since mid-dec. Exceptions are a settled blip thrown in here and there, with changes only reaching our doorstep without stepping in fully.I am finding it unusual that it is going on and on. Is it more common than I think it is? Seems bizarre to me that once again we are 'stuck in a rut'. Feels like a common occurence in recent years with setups lasting weeks on end rather than days on end...Poor winter so far with nothing getting the chance of drying out before the next batch of rain arrives. I am beginning to look towards the convective season beginning with hopefully some settled weather in between.

I was thinking the same thing.

Posted

I think it is quite striking that we have been stuck in the same pattern since mid-dec. Exceptions are a settled blip thrown in here and there, with changes only reaching our doorstep without stepping in fully.I am finding it unusual that it is going on and on. Is it more common than I think it is? Seems bizarre to me that once again we are 'stuck in a rut'. Feels like a common occurence in recent years with setups lasting weeks on end rather than days on end....

Look at this thread, it could explain why we have had so many months tending towards extremes.http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79294-some-notable-months-and-seasons-since-2006/
  • Like 2

Posted

Looks like we are not the only ones in Europe that have been suffering some extreme conditions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26012634

Parts of Italy have had it really bad... Probably not much consolation for those in the South West but at least they are not alone!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

For the CET this winter, we haven't had a day colder than November 23rd yet (2.5C) or a week colder than the 19th to 25th of November (3.8C).

The coldest week we've managed so far was 5.0C, from January 20th to 26th, and the coldest day has been 3.0C of January 30th.

• Like 2

Posted

Wouldn't it be great to have a Winter that delivered like this!  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihze7W1Pamk

It would be extremely interesting to see how the country would cope. Probably grind to a halt, but then I think anywhere would with that amount of snow. It just looks amazing! You know times are desperate when you are trawling YouTube to watch VT on snow!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Lol what did you expect!

Its going to be very interesting to see how the EC32 performs during spring and summer since its update late last year its performed quite well

Posted

Its going to be very interesting to see how the EC32 performs during spring and summer since its update late last year its performed quite well

It has been very good this Winter after being at best indifferent last year. Can't remember how it faired during the Summer, although that too was before its update.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Yet another crap EC 32 - gutted.

Did it at least produce a pressure build to the south? A N/S split would definitely be preferable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Did it at least produce a pressure build to the south? A N/S split would definitely be preferable.

Not sure on the exact details but the info I got was that it was rubbish from a Northern blocking perspective, non of these GFS ens 'glimmers' and it had a trough anchored to either the West or North of us for the entire run, I have to confess I didn't see it though, that's going on descriptions I heard, that said though not even many members of the suite have been showing anything decent, I wouldn't be bothered about the control as long as a decent clustering would be dipping near the -10 uppers line and by all accounts they haven't been all winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Classic example of why the GFS can be useless at times (ie - a lot of this winter), the  PPN type chart is showing heavy snow with above zero uppers on the 18z, this is not a one off either.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I think this thread should finally be closed because winter 2013-2014 is finally over!.....The most snowless,frostless winter in recorded history!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I think this thread should finally be closed because winter 2013-2014 is finally over!.....The most snowless,frostless winter in recorded history!

? not started yet here, still in autumn, still hoping for snow in march and april for the south, north look like getting snow next week

• Like 1