Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013-2014 Discussion- Part 2

Posted

Apart from March 2013..how many snowy marches have there been in the last 25 years??..last one i can remember was March 1995..there have been some very mild March months in recent years.

That's true, but a lot of that can be attributed to the fact March has been anonymously mild during the last quarter-century, more so than most other months.Wasn't March 06 quite snowy, or just quite cold until a late mild spell?
  • Like 1

Posted

There was certainly a big frontal snowfall giving 20cm plus to Glasgow and western Scotland on the weekend of 11/12 March 2006, which back then was probably the most snow we'd had since February 2001 or maybe even February 1996.

I have to say that my perception of March is that even during the warming climate of the late 1980s onwards, it's generally stayed a pretty cold month, but this might be a particularly northern/Scottish viewpoint.

Edited by spindrift1980

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

That's interesting,have I missed 2002 because if I had then so would 2014!

Am sure 2002 was quite nice and mild?

2006 was another cold March, some places remained below freezing early in the month.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2006/march.html

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Snow today for me! looked great while it lasted, not the worst winter, seen bits of wet snow, frosts and ice, still hoping the snowiest month will be march, but not a march like '06, was not a snowy month here, but a foot in shrewsbury on 12th booooooooooooooooooooooooo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

2006 was another cold March, some places remained below freezing early in the month.

yes I must have overlooked that , should know I remember working out in that.

Posted

My worst nightmare of a winter. I must have sensed it was coming as I didn't even bother investing in NW Extra this year for the first time in god knows how long and so far I have no regrets. I've kept my distance from the site and the models generally to avoid disappointment. I feel for any fellow coldies that have invested as much as ever only for us to get stuck with these god awful patterns that show no signs of abating whilst winter rapidly accelerates away from us for another year.

Dismal and one I will never forget for the wrong reasons.

• Like 2

Posted

That's interesting,have I missed 2002 because if I had then so would 2014!

Am sure 2002 was quite nice and mild?

I am not sure that March 1986 was a particularly snowy March.  The cold spell of February persisted for the first three days, although not much snow fell.  Then the rest of the month was fairly average and often unsettled with any snowfalls confined to high ground I believe.  March 2006 actually saw a number of snowfalls for good parts of the country.  Further back I believe that some places saw snowfalls during mid March 1985.  March 1984 was a generally cold, easterly month though produced relatively little snow for most areas.

Posted

We couldn't even manage a totally dry day today. It is turning into the winter equivalent of autumn 2000 and summer 2012. Horrendous.

Summer 2012 was notable for the persistent rain that dominated the first half of the summer at least.  The second half of the summer was less wet and closer to average for rainfall I believe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

So, today was the whisper of winter was it..? Cold light rain!!!! How pathetic! But then so in keeping with such a wretched apology of a "winter"....If ever a season warranted being kicked to death its this one!Posted Image

Sir Walter Scott would have summed this season up best...Winter 2013/14 will depart unwept, unhonoured and unsung....

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted

I am not sure that March 1986 was a particularly snowy March.  The cold spell of February persisted for the first three days, although not much snow fell.  Then the rest of the month was fairly average and often unsettled with any snowfalls confined to high ground I believe.  March 2006 actually saw a number of snowfalls for good parts of the country.  Further back I believe that some places saw snowfalls during mid March 1985.  March 1984 was a generally cold, easterly month though produced relatively little snow for most areas.

March 1986 was a cold month here like most of the 80s marches.It had a cold start with snow,i think we had snow around the 10th and also a 2 week period aprox last week of march and into the first week of april was wintery.Mind you I was living at 340metres at the time!

Posted

March 2006 certainly was a cold one in the north, up until the last week it was set to be one of the coldest ever, alas a very mild end to pay to that. Many places saw heavy snowfalls during the first week especially east Scotland, the 12th brought a classic battleground scenario and the period thereafter until the 24th saw a run of raw easterly winds with further light snowfalls.

The first 12 days of March 2004 were cold with snow in places especially Wales on the 11th.

March 2005 saw a cold first half.

March 2008 delivered a very potent northerly at Eastertime, many saw there heaviest snowfalls of the season.

First 10 days of March 10 were also cold but dry with lots of frost.

So we have seen a number of wintry spells in recent Marches.

• Like 1

Four weeks tomorrow, the meteorological spring begins. If I had a time machine I would bypass February completely.Absolutely detesting this winter, it has all been wet and virtually nothing else. Little frost, snow, dry days etc. Very mild days have even been pretty scarce as well.I understand people enjoying the lack of snow, cold and frosts but it beats me how any one can enjoy the rain element. I know certain members who enjoy this especially during the summer but IMO, their reasons for this are very weak and limp at best.

I understand where your coming from. Theres no way people can say that this wind and rain has done less damage than the snow would've. so for the people who say snow is a nightmare and to disruptive, are talking nonsense because this wind and rain has caused large amounts of damages this winter and is very dangerous.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Four weeks tomorrow, the meteorological spring begins. If I had a time machine I would bypass February completely.Absolutely detesting this winter, it has all been wet and virtually nothing else. Little frost, snow, dry days etc. Very mild days have even been pretty scarce as well.I understand people enjoying the lack of snow, cold and frosts but it beats me how any one can enjoy the rain element. I know certain members who enjoy this especially during the summer but IMO, their reasons for this are very weak and limp at best.

I tend to like Autumn to arrive in summer nowadays but that's primarily because i melt in the humidity we get above 25C. Sunshine and Heat is best in the March-June period where it feels much more continental and you get the chilly nights.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

This terrible pattern we are in just seems endless.Posted Image But i suppose we were due a very Atlantic dominated winter and so at least this winter will be out of the way and surely next winter will be better. Thats my optimistic view on it.

My prediction for winter 2014/2015

- colder and dryer then this one !!!(with the caveat that dryer doesnt necessarily mean colder). I cant go wrong with that.Posted Image

Edited by sundog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I have to admit that I quite enjoy those blustery westerly types that give significant convection-related events, such as dramatic squall lines and polar maritime incursions bringing blustery, squally showers, sometimes accompanied by hail and/or thunder, and wintry precipitation if we get a cold enough airflow.  The period 26th January to 5th February 2013 provided quite a good example of that pattern here in North Yorkshire.

However, other than during the last third of December, this "winter" hasn't even featured much of the above here- during January the frontal systems have mostly given grey skies and persistent moderate rain while the drier brighter interludes in between haven't produced many showers.  In the second half of January the stand-off between the Icelandic low and the Scandinavian blocking high has heavily contributed to this.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Well there's one good thing to come out of this winter....I've seen my first proper storm in ages, which got me out of the NSC!

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'm not even bothered about getting cold any more. I'd take record mild if it meant a week of dry weather.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Some very high snow totals at Glencoe

Upper Mtn Base

421cm 166"

Location: Average of Main Basin & Happy Valley (approx 3500ft).

Happy Valley: 252cm

Main Basin: 589cm

Last Measured: 29/01/14

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

RE - the thames freezing over, it also did in 1987 January, also the sea froze over in Southend.

Posted

Just seen the weather for the week on tv,wind and rain,low after low as far as the eye can see......What has happened to the weather? Maybe we are all doomed!

Posted

Extreme weather here.   Where I am we are in the rain shadow of the Cairngorms and we have had hardly any rain in the last few months and a droughty spring is a possibility on the farm but just 20 odd miles to the south Cairngorm Mountain are struggling to access the hill ski slopes. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=581582195268636#!/photo.php?v=581370085289847&set=vb.138991532861040&type=2&theater  Really interesting weather,Actually cannot remember such different weather in such a short distance ever even allowing for the height difference.