Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013-2014 Discussion- Part 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

This attitude against people looking for snow and not paying attention to rain is getting on my wick now. WOW its going to rain, it rains in my location about half the days in the year, granted not as heavy as lately but anyone saying this winter hasn't been boring I cannot believe, we had it all the way through the 90s and 00s so whats interesting about it????

• Like 3

Posted

Plus people saying the 18z is poor are talking rubbish, too early to tell but in my opinion better ridging between the 2 lows and better ridging into the Arctic from both sectors.

• Like 1

Posted

I don't think it's a case of having a problem with people not looking at the rain short term, it's more that it has been so extreme, yet many members have failed to acknowledge this fact as they don't appear to pay attention to large lows coming in or similar.

The flooding in Somerset has been declared as 'a major incident' by a local government minister to MP's... How it's classed who knows, but just an example!

Many members in the SW/Central thread are reporting very high rainfall amounts- someone earlier said they've so far had half a years rainfall this January! And this has been followed by a very wet end to December. More rainfall over the coming days as well (Friday and Sunday) which could prove very troubling, which hasn't been alluded to in the MOD thread from what I've seen... I don't have a problem with this, I just think that many members feel it should have a say in there, as up to 60mm could fall from these two systems on the already saturated ground which could have large knock on effects!

Not having a go, don't get me wrong, just giving another perspective on it :)

• Like 4

Posted

The only thing I use the charts for is to get a feeling about what is to come in the next five days. I don't understand why some people take the chart for two weeks into the future so seriously... a lot can a change. All you should use the long-range charts for is to get an idea of trends.

Agreed, what I couldn't understand though is people saying its a rubbish run at about 30 hours when there wasn't any difference, as it turned out it was a crapper run but no way could you know that at 30 hours!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

This attitude against people looking for snow and not paying attention to rain is getting on my wick now. WOW its going to rain, it rains in my location about half the days in the year, granted not as heavy as lately but anyone saying this winter hasn't been boring I cannot believe, we had it all the way through the 90s and 00s so whats interesting about it????

This month is our first above-average month for rain since October and I am pretty sick of it. I usually like rain, but not when it rains almost every day and the ground is  completely sodden and I can't walk my dog without getting shoes covered in mud.

I just want snow now. Not interested in wind or rain right now - only snow. If I see a bit of snow, I'll be satisfied.

Edited by cheese

Posted

All pay homage to the rains, again! Yes Feb91 us northerners view rain as part and parcel of everyday life so having to discuss potential rains in the MOD thread is a little taxing to say the least.

Posted

This month is our first above-average month for rain since October and I am pretty sick of it. I usually like rain, but not when it rains almost every day and the ground is  completely sodden and I can't walk my dog without getting shoes covered in mud.

I just want snow now. Not interested in wind or rain right now - only snow. If I see a bit of snow, I'll be satisfied.

Rain doesn't bother me in winter because as long as its cold rain because when your wearing a coat your ok, that said it doesn't excite me either.

All pay homage to the rains, again! Yes Feb91 us northerners view rain as part and parcel of everyday life so having to discuss potential rains in the MOD thread is a little taxing to say the least.

I think that should read 'us brits' TBH.

Posted

Rain doesn't bother me in winter because as long as its cold rain because when your wearing a coat your ok, that said it doesn't excite me either. I think that should read 'us brits' TBH.

No us up North, as we have to endure copious amounts of rain year after year season after season.

Posted

No us up North, as we have to endure copious amounts of rain year after year season after season.

I prefer it to heat, I was in London in August 12, my mate was at work and had whole day to kill, enjoyed drinking around the West End and Ken, fabulous places but the urban heat effect was bad, I couldn't take that for any length of time.

Posted

Mind you I went out today and before it started raining it was BBQ weather, very springlike indeed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Not here we don't. We only get 603mm on average, and last year we were 'semi-arid' with 490mm. 2012 was a wet year for us and that was only around 863mm - not much more than the average annual rainfall in Manchester & Liverpool! I was fed up with rain at that point.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Piers says (18Jan) "This is the most important forecast for Britain & Ireland since the famous Dec 2010"

Latest update for Feb.

I wonder what he means about it. 2010 was cold and snowy. His forecast is been perfect till now. In Alex Jones show he said that the sun will be quite for next two months which means cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Sparadic wet sleety snow falling in Notts at the minute. Nice surprise but never going to settle as it's so wet everywhere!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Well maybe I've spent all of my time in here and forgot to check the met lol. But I have checked since the event and nothing except an ice warning.. It was a heavy thunder shower blizzard conditions. From the mild mild west

I was sat in the pub last night and the weather came on around 10:30ish - the landlord asked me what all the meteors/shooting stars meant on the map as it was panning around, I said that's wintry showers, hail sleet & snow etc .. It was plain as day on the forecasts bud.It was the mild west either, it was on a north west flow, if you look at the beginning of the GFS run, you'll see the source of it all (If you understand the models) it's certainly not mild, there's a tongue of cold uppers licking the north west of England and into Scotland, certainly enough to support snowfall. I've not seen any evidence that the MetO took their eye off the ball. :)

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well we may have some spring snow next week or is it autumn snow? Still snowless here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Winter Weather To Hit After Weeks Of Floods

Britain looks set for a distinctly colder end to January with the possibility of snow, widespread frost and cold winds. After saturated southern England is hit by further flooding this weekend, low pressure will start to bring change across the UK next week. The change comes as a "major incident" was declared on the Somerset Levels which have seen weeks of severe flooding and remain underwater. Sedgemoor District Council chief executive Kerry Rickards said: "With significant rainfall expected over the coming days we feel this situation needs to be escalated as a major incident." The council said it would continue to provide practical support to residents whose properties are flooded or are predicted to flood.

Next week's drop in temperature will come as a shock following a wet but exceptionally mild December and January, Sky News Weather Presenter Isobel Lang, said. "The low bringing us rain this weekend will slip away southwards allowing significantly colder air to seep west and southwestwards across us on a biting east or northeast wind. "It will be a shock to the system after a mild December, the mildest since 1988, and a mild first half of January with a mean UK temperature up to January 15 of 5.1C, which is 1.5C above average. "Snow is likely, especially over hills, with more widespread frosts too." But Lang said the change looked unlikely to last. "At this stage the Atlantic influence still looks strong and it could be that the cold air pushes back into continental Europe again by the end of the week," she said

The Met Office has warned of a wet and windy Sunday. It will then turn colder and "increasingly wintry, particularly across northeastern parts", its UK five-day forecast reads. Its summary for the 10 days from Tuesday warns of biting easterly winds and temperatures near or just below normal. The change to weather more like the January we expect comes after weeks of rainfall that have left large areas of the UK waterlogged. The Environment Agency has 10 flood warnings in place in southwest and southeast England and 91 lower level flood alerts in place, mainly in the southeast and southwest but also in other parts of England and Wales. The UK has largely escaped a big freeze this winter, unlike the United States which saw a polar vortex bringing some of the lowest temperatures ever seen across many states followed by heavy snow this week.

http://news.sky.com/story/1200331/winter-weather-to-hit-after-weeks-of-floods

Posted

Signs of a winter chill?

BBC Weather's Darren Bett warns of some further wet and windy weather to come later this weekend. Plus after a mild winter so far, are there now finally signs of a winter chill?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/25882915

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Seems I might finally have to turn on the heating, not had to this 'Winter'.

Temperatures generally between 8-12C and you've not had to turn on the heating?! Must be some insulation you have there as houses generally drop in temp towards outside temp when heating is off for long periods. I wouldn't fancy living in temperatures that low and have had the heating on all winter. House gets damp and cold otherwise.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

nick miller on bbcnews24 said next week winds turning easterly and getting colder so must be some confidence from met office of an easterly

Posted

James Madden is back

Posted Image

He's also warning of another potentially dangerous and major snow event next week for many parts of the country

How it can be another I don't know we haven't had one yet!

• Like 4

Posted

James Madden is back

Posted Image

He's also warning of another potentially dangerous and major snow event next week for many parts of the country

How it can be another I don't know we haven't had one yet!

"Exceptionally colder" - James Madden, aged 11 and 3/4

it's going to be 7c! where is this forecast for? South Sudan?

• Like 2