Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013-2014 Discussion- Part 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Yes he did actually predict ice floes... ice floes!

January Temperatures - Way below the seasonal average for much of the country and in terms of the mean Central England Temperature (CET). Temperatures are also likely to exceed double negative figures quite consistently during the evenings, especially in parts of Scotland and the north. There may even be the possibility of temperature records being broken in places, especially in parts of Scotland and Ireland, towards the start of this forecasting period. It is quite plausible that temperatures may surpass -28C in parts of the UK during the evenings, with temperatures also struggling to get above freezing across the country during the daytime too. There is also a good probability for the development of ice floes, which will be visible from land in various parts of the country too.

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

Still waiting for Maddens forecast to materialise....oh!! and the Canadian Vortex to bugger off.

post-18134-0-43693700-1390165057_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost
Posted (edited) · Hidden by ZONE 51, January 19, 2014 - ----
Hidden by ZONE 51, January 19, 2014 - ----

--

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

James Madden is probably fictional, the whole thing is a set up by the daily express to sell more papers. Has anyone ever seen a picture of James Madden or even Jonathan Powell who is another person they like to name drop, I didn't think so.....

Posted

James Madden is probably fictional, the whole thing is a set up by the daily express to sell more papers. Has anyone ever seen a picture of James Madden or even Jonathan Powell who is another person they like to name drop, I didn't think so.....

His Twitter account shows what is apparently him and a young child.

The same account provides some of the most hilarious internet activity ever, if you expand and read the replies to his tweets. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

James Madden has his picture on his twitter page https://twitter.com/JMadden_Weather

Posted

Interesting read on Exacta weathers forecasts http://weatherman79.wordpress.com/2014/01/19/winter-forecasting-the-broken-clock-conundrum/

Posted Image

Then just under 3 weeks later

Posted Image

Indeed - posted that one yesterday - probably should have mentioned it was about Mr Madden's excellent forecasts(LOL)

Posted

Indeed - posted that one yesterday - probably should have mentioned it was about Mr Madden's excellent forecasts(LOL)

Madden was actually spot on about this winter being one of the worst on record.

Just not in the way he expected. Not a single snow drop here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

I really wonder how Madden actually puts his forecast together. Must dream about it and write it down the next day! Really disappointed about this winter I actually thought it would be a good one. I suppose there's still time, winter lasts into March, April even May here so let's TRY and keep positivePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Despite my prior skepticism regarding any along term cold spell coming within the next week or so amazingly the GFS is suggesting that the front on Friday evening may be almost undercut to the point that the 12z forecast 1C and rain. With an evolving situation this is worth watching. The margins are extremely small..

Posted Image

Posted

Despite my prior skepticism regarding any along term cold spell coming within the next week or so amazingly the GFS is suggesting that the front on Friday evening may be almost undercut to the point that the 12z forecast 1C and rain. With an evolving situation this is worth watching. The margins are extremely small..

Yep!

And Thursday is showing alot of potential.

Posted

Does anyone remember February 2011?

One snow event, one sleet event, pretty cold. 8 days of lying snow.

Posted

Deleted

post-8968-0-58125000-1390259691_thumb.pn

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

mongoose all here, I do remember cars coming past with a couple of inches of snow on top of them on a Saturday morning though, if I remember rightly it was a marginal snow event where a couple of miles further East and 100m more elevation made all the difference.

Posted

Does anyone remember February 2011?

Yes it was diabolical month - just like the past month there was very little frost, almost no snow, rain nearly every day and an excess of S.E. winds. Everything I despise the most.

It's because of months like that, December 2012 and this winter that I feel the post-December 2010 period is even worse for winter weather than the late 80s/early 90s. While there may have been little snow at least there was nothing as bad as any of that back then.

The last three Februaries have just been awful - all less snowy than February 1998Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Yeah, I recall the snow event in Leeds on the 19th I believe. The month was mild overall though.

Posted

Lettuce all here, I do remember cars coming past with a couple of inches of snow on top of them on a Saturday morning though, if I remember rightly it was a marginal snow event where a couple of miles further East and 100m more elevation made all the difference.

As a resident of low-lying, urban Stockport this is a scene I'm all too familiar with. We could get a dusting here, or nothing at all, but see cars coming from higher elevations nearby with copious amounts of snow on them. It's a right piste take...

• Like 1

Posted

Here we got a few inches of snow when a front stalled, very marginal situation, and it wasn't till mid morning did the snow start to settle in central Leeds

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

As a resident of low-lying, urban Stockport this is a scene I'm all too familiar with. We could get a dusting here, or nothing at all, but see cars coming from higher elevations nearby with copious amounts of snow on them. It's a right piste take...

sometimes here you get the moor absolutely white and begger all on the roads here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In the Tyne and Wear area, February 1998 was a bizarre month- it was easily the warmest February of the twentieth century, with maximum temperatures 5C above the 1961-1990 average and minimum temperatures 4C above, but it both began and ended with snow.  On the 1st, a frontal system collided with continental air and gave some snow early in the morning, while on the 28th, a cold showery west to north-westerly flow accompanied by troughs brought some quite organised snowfall over the Pennines that evening, which deposited a few centimetres of snow on the ground by 0900 the next day.

February 2011 was far less memorable- my main memory of it is that we had a lot of cold continental air close by but we kept getting south-easterlies bringing a lot of modification from the south and the result was a prolonged grey spell with cool days and warm nights for most of us, though as others have mentioned, locally, such as around Leeds, there were some frontal snowfalls.  I'm guessing that what the models are currently showing are reminding some of that scenario.  I certainly don't expect a full-on blast from the east/north-east with sunshine and snow showers in the next couple of weeks- the most likely source of snowfalls will be weather fronts colliding with chilly continental and/or polar maritime air and evaporative cooling making the difference between rain and snow for some.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted

February 2011 was so far the only snowless winter month of the 2010s here, and the first snowless Feb since 2000. Only 2 air frosts as well and several 10C+ days- all in all a shocker. Further east it may have been a Se'ly month, here it was almost completely Sw'ly as I recall. The last day with snow falling that winter was 7th January- none at all in spring for the first time since 2002. But December seriously made up for it...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Updated blog from Paul Hudson BBC Look North (Yorkshire and Lincolnshire) weather presenter

Beware February with a sting in its tail

With last week’s suggested cold spell by computer models (in particular by the usually reliable ECMWF model) failing to materialise, it will now take something exceptionally cold in February for winter as a whole not to end up in the mild category.

Based on the Met Office’s modern data set which started in 1910, December was the eighth mildest on record across the UK, and the mildest since 1988.

The warmth also shows up in Central England Temperature (CET) data, with December ranked 33rd in 356 years of data.

January is so far even more impressive, currently standing at 17th warmest since 1659 in the CET record as we head into the last third of the month.

But before we write off winter completely, it is often forgotten that February is statistically the coldest month of the year, and one of the driest.

Indeed in many eastern areas the second half of February is the driest period of the year.

This reminds us that the jet stream, which is normally at its most powerful during the first half of winter, often weakens in February increasing the risk of our weather being influenced by colder air from the north or the east, associated with higher pressure.

It’s impossible to say for sure, but it would be a surprise if there wasn’t at least one spell of cold and possible wintry weather in February to round off a winter which has been so far, contrary to all long range forecasts that I read back in autumn, remarkably snow and frost free.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulhudson/posts/Beware-February-with-a-sting-in-its-tail