Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013-2014 Discussion- Part 2

Posted

I wouldn't say I'm enjoying this weather, but at the same time it isn't bothering me either. Mild weather does have its perks.

Saying that, I'd be slightly disappointed if we didn't see at least one decent 7-10 day cold spell. Brilliantly clear skies, frosty days and snow cover would provide a nice respite from all the wet and grey, albeit only for a short while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

It isn't even the mild weather really - I am just sick of this mud and rain. It hasn't actually rained that much here, but we've had a lot of days with showers and light rain. So muddy too. It is really annoying.

Posted

There have been many winters in the last 25 years which have failed to delivered a potent cold spell, and snowfalls, but none since winter 07/08 which I suspect is causing many to describe this winter so far as 'unusual' - it really isn't.. and we are only one third in, statistically the coldest period of the winter is mid Jan-mid February and snow before Christmas is rare. Winter 11/12 is a good example of coldest snowiest weather occurring in this 'cold' period, many places away from Scotland and far north had to wait until tail end of jan for first decent frosts and early Feb for snow.

Winters with little or no snow and sustained notable cold weather include-

07/08, virtually no snow for many and little in the way of decent cold weather at all, many places had to wait until March for snowfall. December did bring a lengthy quite cold spell with a lot of frost but not especially potent with no ice days. A shorter lived similar spell occurred in mid Feb.

06/07 - similar in style to 07/08 with one snowy spell early in Feb and a 2 week cold settled but snow free spell in December. Unlike 07/08, March and April were mild and snowless.

04/05 - an interesting one, apart from one or two snowfalls in the north thanks to northerly airstreams in the main until mid Feb, mild and wet with little frost. However, a marked change did occur mid Feb and we saw cold easterlies and some snowfall but the air should have been much colder and alas a noteworthy cold snowy spell never transpired. I bet many at this stage in winter 04/05 would have dismissed calls of such a spell ever occurring that winter..

97/98, 98/99 and 99/00 - three woeful winters for snow and cold weather. Only very shortlived snowy cold spells barely more than 3 days think early Dec 98 northerly, and the northerly of early Feb 99. Winter 97/98 was exceptionally poor many places didn't see any snow. Winter 99/00 brought a bit of snowy weather in the run up to Christmas and one shortlived spell mid Feb but nothing else. Interestingly, all three winters were followed by arctic snowy blasts in April.

94/95 - another very poor one for snowfall and cold weather. It was the wettest on record. Many places had to wait until late Feb for proper frosts and early March for snowfall. There was a shortlived arctic blast New Years Eve and an unusually snowy set up late Jan in Yorkshire - a very localised affair - quite odd.

92/93, preety snowless for many away from Scotland which saw a fair bit early in January. Dec 92 did deliver cold frosty weather but snowless. Again had to wait until tail end of winter and early March for first nationwide snowfalls of the season.

91/92 - similar in some respects to winter 92/93 with sharp frosts in December mid month but snowless. Late Jan brought a snowless frosty spell. Feb 92 was mild with little frost.

87/88, 88/89 and 89/90 - like the three winters of the late 90's, very poor for snowfall and cold weather. 88/89 saw westerlies in supremecy, some places saw there only snow of the season in April (mmm a theme developing here - mild snowless winters followed by Aprils with cold snowy arctic outbreaks). Winter 89/90 very stormy with no snow in the south. Winter 87/88 began with a cold high pressure block in December but gave way to mostly very mild atlantic dominated weather with only one shortlived cold spell with some snow late Jan.

Our expectations for deep cold and heavy snowfall have been raised markedly since winter 07/08 when many were happy with a 2 day northerly toppler. Winter 11/12 did bring a few back down to earth mind, and we were lucky last winter just on the right side of marginal.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

I'm not looking to antagonize any coldies on here but I really don't understand what all this fuss is about. 11c in January is a very mild temperature indeed and it's staying that way into the night as well, I could understand you moaning if it was 18+ but 11c is hardly warm. It's warm enough that you can save on the energy bills and don't dread getting out of bed in the morning but cold enough that you know it's not Summer any more. 

If cold does come then it will come, if it doesn't then it doesn't. At the moment I'm most inclined to say it won't, but you can't say never. Me personally I think this will be a repeat of the Winter of 2007. Wet and stormy but mild.  

I'm sure you will all love some Snow and minus temperatures but I assure you you will get tired much more quickly of that than what we have now.  

I'm just enjoying not giving the gas company a big chunk of my income and having to put gloves, scarves and double socks on when I walk outside only to still feel freezing cold. Most winters I'm urging to end but this one I'm not, it's more like Autumn really. 

This is just a very comfortable Winter where we can all save some much needed money rather than handing it to the gas company and we don't all dread having to get out of our warm beds in the morning. I'm sure a lot of people will agree with me. 

Sure the rain is a pain but I'd take that over minus temperatures, a hefty gas bill and snow any day. I do feel for the people in the west however, it's been relentless. 

Totally agree, loving this mild winter although we could do with less rain of course, no car windscreen scraping, no snow. and low heating bills, long may it continue.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Totally agree, loving this mild winter although we could do with less rain of course, no car windscreen scraping, no snow. and low heating bills, long may it continue.

You are going to be very disappointed in 3 or 4 weeks time me thinks, the clue as to the reasons why is in my username. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

You are going to be very disappointed in 3 or 4 weeks time me thinks, the clue as to the reasons why is in my username. Posted Image

I.m not greedy though, that would be two of the 3 months of winter gone and I would always be happy with only one cold winter month, and unlike a lot on here it really doesn't bother me either way I just endure winter whatever it does although the heating costs are a much bigger factor in wanting mild than before. A dry summer is more important than anything else.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Absolutely agree CH...Snow can be great but, once in a while, spending a winter in shirtsleeves and not giving half one's income to EON, or whomever, is also something to savour... 

Edited by No-Time Toulouse
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I.m not greedy though, that would be two of the 3 months of winter gone and I would always be happy with only one cold winter month, and unlike a lot on here it really doesn't bother me either way I just endure winter whatever it does although the heating costs are a much bigger factor in wanting mild than before. A dry summer is more important than anything else.

Fair play, I am struggling but as long as I stay here to witness a proper dumping i will take been kicked out the week after! I am not greedy either, if i could have a week like 10th - 17th Jan 87 and a week like 4th - 11th 91, you could have all the other 10 weeks with blowtorch 15c south westerlies as far as I am concerned, great if we could have a 1947 but that's unrealistic in a single given year, what I have suggested in my first sentence although odds against, is never out of the question.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

There have been many winters in the last 25 years which have failed to delivered a potent cold spell, and snowfalls, but none since winter 07/08 which I suspect is causing many to describe this winter so far as 'unusual' - it really isn't.. and we are only one third in, statistically the coldest period of the winter is mid Jan-mid February and snow before Christmas is rare. Winter 11/12 is a good example of coldest snowiest weather occurring in this 'cold' period, many places away from Scotland and far north had to wait until tail end of jan for first decent frosts and early Feb for snow.

07/08, virtually no snow for many and little in the way of decent cold weather at all, many places had to wait until March for snowfall. December did bring a lengthy quite cold spell with a lot of frost but not especially potent with no ice days. A shorter lived similar spell occurred in mid Feb.

06/07 - similar in style to 07/08 with one snowy spell early in Feb and a 2 week cold settled but snow free spell in December. Unlike 07/08, March and April were mild and snowless.

04/05 - an interesting one, apart from one or two snowfalls in the north thanks to northerly airstreams in the main until mid Feb, mild and wet with little frost. However, a marked change did occur mid Feb and we saw cold easterlies and some snowfall but the air should have been much colder and alas a noteworthy cold snowy spell never transpired. I bet many at this stage in winter 04/05 would have dismissed calls of such a spell ever occurring that winter..

97/98, 98/99 and 99/00 - three woeful winters for snow and cold weather. Only very shortlived snowy cold spells barely more than 3 days think early Dec 98 northerly, and the northerly of early Feb 99. Winter 97/98 was exceptionally poor many places didn't see any snow. Winter 99/00 brought a bit of snowy weather in the run up to Christmas and one shortlived spell mid Feb but nothing else. Interestingly, all three winters were followed by arctic snowy blasts in April.

94/95 - another very poor one for snowfall and cold weather. It was the wettest on record. Many places had to wait until late Feb for proper frosts and early March for snowfall. There was a shortlived arctic blast New Years Eve and an unusually snowy set up late Jan in Yorkshire - a very localised affair - quite odd.

92/93, preety snowless for many away from Scotland which saw a fair bit early in January. Dec 92 did deliver cold frosty weather but snowless. Again had to wait until tail end of winter and early March for first nationwide snowfalls of the season.

91/92 - similar in some respects to winter 92/93 with sharp frosts in December mid month but snowless. Late Jan brought a snowless frosty spell. Feb 92 was mild with little frost.

87/88, 88/89 and 89/90 - like the three winters of the late 90's, very poor for snowfall and cold weather. 88/89 saw westerlies in supremecy, some places saw there only snow of the season in April (mmm a theme developing here - mild snowless winters followed by Aprils with cold snowy arctic outbreaks). Winter 89/90 very stormy with no snow in the south. Winter 87/88 began with a cold high pressure block in December but gave way to mostly very mild atlantic dominated weather with only one shortlived cold spell with some snow late Jan.

Our expectations for deep cold and heavy snowfall have been raised markedly since winter 07/08 when many were happy with a 2 day northerly toppler. Winter 11/12 did bring a few back down to earth mind, and we were lucky last winter just on the right side of marginal.

Sorry but you are wrong,no snow here before xmas is rare,i think it has happened 3 times that I can remember an I am 45.Sure it can be mild and wet with little snow but no snow is not normal and to be expected.Just hoping for the second half of winter to deliver now!

Posted

Unfortunately lower usage of heating only means energy companies will raise prices even more to compensate for lack of profits. True, they'll raise prices regardless because they're greedy lying barstewards (British Gas said last May they'd use extra profits made from the preceding cold weather to stall future hikes, only to implement a 9.2% hike in November!). You can't win either way because the energy market in this country is so monopolised.

With this in mind, and the fact that even when it's mild it's still difficult to go without heating, experiencing cold weather and all that it entails is well worth it for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

This winter will start on the 15th of January. I think we're just having a long autumn and we will see decent cold till the end of March. This is just a gut feeling and I hope i'm right :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

This winter will start on the 15th of January. I think we're just having a long autumn and we will see decent cold till the end of March. This is just a gut feeling and I hope i'm right :-)

One of my earlier posts I gave January 20th!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

1997-98

2007-08 

2013-14

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I'm still using just as much gas/heating to dry my clothes/work uniform etc because it hasn't stopped p**sing down for the last 2 weeks.

All couped up indoors, heating on even though it's relatively mild and the local environment around my area severely damaged by recent winds & rainfall causing mayhem on the regions railways (my working environment) and destroying some peoples homes etc.

I'm not a major coldie, just partial to a wintry snap or two, but even I wouldn't mind scraping the car window for 5mins or paying an extra £20 quid to the gas man for a few months just so the ruddy rainfall could stop flooding land/homes/infrastructure down here in the South West.

A small price to pay for what some people down here are experiencing and I'm sure many of my fellow south westerners would agree with me here too.

• Like 3

Posted

One of my earlier posts I gave January 20th!

Hope you are right mate. When this wind finally dies down we are sure to see cold. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

I'm still using just as much gas/heating to dry my clothes/work uniform etc because it hasn't stopped p**sing down for the last 2 weeks.All couped up indoors, heating on even though it's relatively mild and the local environment around my area severely damaged by recent winds & rainfall causing mayhem on the regions railways (my working environment) and destroying some peoples homes etc.I'm not a major coldie, just partial to a wintry snap or two, but even I wouldn't mind scraping the car window for 5mins or paying an extra £20 quid to the gas man for a few months just so the ruddy rainfall could stop flooding land/homes/infrastructure down here in the South West.A small price to pay for what some people down here are experiencing and I'm sure many of my fellow south westerners would agree with me here too.

I agree, in the West I can agree that all this rain is a bit extreme. I suppose I'm just lucky that I live in pretty much the driest area in the UK. We have had quite a bit of rain but very benign really, had some sunny days and last night it was 9c at 3AM in the morning. I am a mildy but yes even I would be getting very tired of the weather to the west. 

Where I am however it's been all benefits. Very mild, saving about £20-25 a month on the gas and don't dread going to work in the morning.  

Posted

4 weeks ago he said Cornwall would be 'breezy', no mention of floods, storm force winds, etc.

And I doubt he said snow, but there has been snow down there this evening :D

Posted

Even Mr Mild Brian gaze has said it's more than likely we are going to see a decent cold spell soon. 

Posted

I would add 2001-02 to that list as well, as it was a horror show, mild and devoid of anything remotely wintry after early January.  Dec 2001 did however bring a good length spell of quite cold weather with frequent frosts though rarely especially cold by day.  The only significant cold that winter was from late Dec into early Jan, which delivered a cold frosty spell though there wasn't much snow about in most areas.  2002-03 wasn't great either - a bit on the 91-92 and 92-93 level - the only "cold" that winter for most places was frosts from HP spells, and there was little snowfall for most areas except parts of the SE that caught some snow in early Jan,. and briefly again at the end of Jan, and parts of the NW that locally caught a ittle snow in early Feb.

I wouldn't say that 2004-05 was in the same league as the others you mention - it did give some short lived northerlies at times with a little snow for some places over Xmas, though rightly as you mention, the main wintry spell of that largely mild winter was not until the second half of February - but I think this still makes this winter better than most if not all the others mentioned.

Posted

Well, it almost looks set that the first half of Winter 2013-14, (up to mid January) will be devoid of anything remotely wintry or even remotely cold.

So where does this stand us for the rest of the winter?

I am now thinking that, in the last 20 years, there have been at least two or possibly three examples of "pear shaped" winters, that have brought a decent cold spell in the early part of winter, that have deteriorated into nothing.  Most recently this was in 2010-11, which after the exceptional December cold spell ended just after Xmas 2010, it never returned during the rest of the winter, and the rest of the winter was not special, and the only real cold in the rest of that winter was from high pressure spells in the second half of Jan 2011.

The second "pear shaped" winter example was 1996-97.  That winter brought a good cold spell in the early part, late December and the early part of Jan (though obviously nothing like Dec 2010), but after Jan 10th it broke and never returned, and the rest of that winter saw next to nothing.  2001-02 also was a type of pear shaped winter, there was some cold weather in late Dec / early Jan, though much shorter than in 96/97, and the rest of the winter after the first week of jan was a horror show, very mild and devoid of anything remotely wintry.

Further back, in 1981-82, this winter also saw severe cold in the first half, and did indeed have a second half that was largely mild..  Winter 1976-77 also saw a fair amount of cold weather in the first half, and even up to late Jan, but then Feb 1977 wasn't special..

So whilst in the last 20 years two or possibly three "pear shaped" winters have occurred, early cold deteriorating into nothing, the "reverse" of this has never occurred, certainly on no occasion since 1988 that's for sure.  I can not think of the last time that we had a winter devoid of anything cold in the first half or early part, delivering some good cold spells later in the winter.  Can anyone pinpoint the last example of the reverse, or back to front version of a pear shaped winter?  Before anyone mentions 1985-86, that's not entirely true, as there was some cold weather in late Dec 1985 which continued into the early part of Jan 1986, which was still in the first half of winter.

Edited by North-Easterly Blast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Despite many mildies' comments justifying this current spell of weather as normal, I think it's clear that it really isn't. When the weather makes news headlines days in a row you know it's not a normal pattern of weather. Yes, the UK has a bias towards zonality due to a number of scientific reasons and not least its geographical location, but 8-12C is mild for a UK winter - 4-8C is more like it. It should also not be anywhere near this wet.

Just to put another theory on the table, is there anything to be said for November as an indication for the winter to come? It seems to be that more settled Novembers are often followed by mild and wet winters whereas very wet and unsettled Novembers are followed by colder winters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

only one i can really think of is winter 1982/83 December was no great shakes and January was very mild..but February was cold with a CET of 1.5c or close to that value and was quite snowy from the midlands northwards..often stormy mild autumns and early winters continue on through to spring

Posted

So whilst in the last 20 years two or possibly three "pear shaped" winters have occurred, early cold deteriorating into nothing, the "reverse" of this has never occurred, certainly on no occasion since 1988 that's for sure.  I can not think of the last time that we had a winter devoid of anything cold in the first half or early part, delivering some good cold spells later in the winter.  Can anyone pinpoint the last example of the reverse, or back to front version of a pear shaped winter?  Before anyone mentions 1985-86, that's not entirely true, as there was some cold weather in late Dec 1985 which continued into the early part of Jan 1986, which was still in the first half of winter.

You have got a short memory, last winter is an example!The proper wintry weather started after the first week of January and continued on and off into April
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

You have got a short memory, last winter is an example!The proper wintry weather started after the first week of January and continued on and off into April

Wasn't it cold at the end of November and during the first half of December?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Winter start -  Early December 

Winter end - Late March

Current date - January 5th. 

January 5th > End of March = 2 months, 3 weeks. 

Early December > January 5th = 1 month MAX. 

Sorry, did someone mention that half of winter or even 'most' of winter was over?

As far as I'm concerned, if we get 1 chunk spell of cold snowy weather (Even a week) this winter will still be better than virtually all of the last 10+ years pre 09/10. 

People writing winter off as nearly over in my mind, either can't read a calendar or have no concept of seasons. 1 month down, 2 and a half to go.

Edited by PolarWarsaw
  • Like 1