Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013-2014 Discussion- Part 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Because this is why

Posted Image

From a text book I have from 1957, our average winter pressure pattern and we must accept it and be realistic.

typical Dec pattern, but mid Jan to mid Apr surely better, less westerly dominance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Yeah but Deep Snow please will be talking about low levels a number of factors make it impossible

Strong sunshine

Long days 14 hours plus from mid April

Natural warming of the ground

How long did snow last on the ground during the last Ice age?

What is the longest time snow,or a long wintery period has covered Britain or most of it in recorded history,have we seen a predominantly wintery spell from late autumn through until spring?I believe 1916/1917 started early and lasted well into spring!?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Perhaps you need counselling if lack of snow makes you feel like that......... it's not the end of the world, there's more important things than snow, the weather will do what it wants.

The same can be said for football, Marital break ups, and other things as well then.

Posted

There was no SSW in 1991, though the vortex was weak generally and there was a minimum stratospheric NAM of -2.23 on 28/01 http://p-martineau.com/ssw-animations/

According to the list of SSWs I have there was http://www.geo.fu-berlin.de/en/met/ag/strat/produkte/northpole/index.html, it must be wrong then, anybody got a better list please?, preferably with the exact date of SSW observed if there was one and also whether a displacement or split type.

Posted

EC32 and winter 2011-12. Does anyone remember Matt Hugo kept referring to EC32 and signals of higher pressures towards the back end of that January in the Greenland region? Infact, there was no blocking at all there in the end.

It has been upgraded now, only time will tell whether its stratospheric modelling cuts the mustard as far as picking out cold snaps at a months range, regarding 2012, it wasn't far away because we did get scandi blocking so some sort of signal (probably as a result of a near SSW event, we only missed out on brutal cold by a gnats **** that year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Coldest of the winter so far has been braemar -8.8 C. This should have be in double digits by now.

in 1947 it was basking in a mild 14 deg in mid January,they thought spring had come early!......plenty time yet!

• Like 3

Aarghhh! This winter has been an unparalleled for onionseness in modern times. Might as well right if off now. 8-10C until March and then rain. Looks like the mini ice-age predictions were wrong. Why can't winter just be winter. Is 10ft of snow on the 31st October lying until the 31st June too much to ask for. I'll slit my wrists if we don't get better weather soon I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad you baboons.

LOL, didn't know there were any Baboons posting on here, there are Buffoons though Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

It has been upgraded now, only time will tell whether its stratospheric modelling cuts the mustard as far as picking out cold snaps at a months range, regarding 2012, it wasn't far away because we did get scandi blocking so some sort of signal (probably as a result of a near SSW event, we only missed out on brutal cold by a gnats **** that year.

That was the biggest Russian/Scandi block Ive ever seen. Remember Peter Gibbs showing how it stretched halfway across the world to the edge of Alaska! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe cold

apparently we will be heading for a blocking over Greenland heading into Jan, does anyone know if there is any truth in the matter, lets hope so

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

only 150 years ago cross fell used to hold snow for 10 months of the year!

Every year, most years, some years, or occasionally? I'm not denying it, but as an avid studier of historical weather I'd just like to know what you mean, and what your source is. Actually, if the Wikipedia article is to be trusted, it may not be so rare even now: "Snow can be found in gullies on the north side of Cross Fell as late as May in most years. In some years, lying snow has been known to persist until July and fresh snowfall in June (mid-summer in the Northern Hemisphere) is common."

Edited by osmposm

Posted

... seeing as 1947, 1986 etc etc are seen as big winters which only featured a concentrated couple of weeks of cold (not until nearly Feb in the case of '47).

1947's severe cold lasted a lot longer than a couple of weeks - essentially the last nine or ten days of January right through till a week into March (later in Scotland), a total for most of six to seven weeks. The CET mean was below 1C for 45 consecutive days, all but five of those below 0C (and usually well below). Even Kew in outer London had air frosts every night of February but two, despite not seeing any sun at all for 20 days of the month, and never saw the temp rise above 40F (4.4C). The Met Office says snow fell somewhere in the UK on 55 days in a row, though I can't quite make that add up - I guess they include Scottish mountains.

in 1947 it was basking in a mild 14 deg in mid January,they thought spring had come early!......plenty time yet!

There is a widespread misconception that there had been no cold weather at all in 1946-7 before the bitter cold arrived in the later part of January. In fact - unlike this year - there had been a cold period for much of the country, including widespread snow, for over a week from 15th-22nd December. My parents were married in central London on 20th December 1946, and snow was lying on the ground - the CET mean shows 8 consecutive days <1C, three of them <0C. There was then another, albeit brief cold snap in early January, with two days' CET mean <0C, before the mild period of the 11th-18th. Things then progressively cooled until the real event arrived around the 22/23rd.

Edited by osmposm
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Coldest of the winter so far has been braemar -8.8 C. This should have be in double digits by now.

Not sure that's true, I think -10'C has already been breached. 

Posted

1947's severe cold lasted a lot longer than a couple of weeks - essentially the last nine or ten days of January right through till a week into March (later in Scotland), a total for most of six to seven weeks. The CET mean was below 1C for 45 consecutive days, all but five of those below 0C (and usually well below). Even Kew in outer London had air frosts every night of February but two, despite not seeing any sun at all for 20 days of the month, and never saw the temp rise above 40F (4.4C). The Met Office says snow fell somewhere in the UK on 55 days in a row, though I can't quite make that add up - I guess they include Scottish mountains.

There is a widespread misconception that there had been no cold weather at all in 1946-7 before the bitter cold arrived in the later part of January. In fact - unlike this year - there had been a cold period for much of the country, including widespread snow, for over a week from 15th-22nd December. My parents were married in central London on 20th December 1946, and snow was lying on the ground - the CET mean shows 8 consecutive days <1C, three of them <0C. There was then another, albeit brief cold snap in early January, with two days' CET mean <0C, before the mild period of the 11th-18th. Things then progressively cooled until the real event arrived around the 22/23rd.

Indeed,  I've lost count the number of times I've read how the winter of 46/47 was mild prior to the February, as you highlight this is a popular misconception and urban myth.

• Like 1