Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013-2014 Discussion- Part 2

Posted

So guys, if this December is a write off i'm curious as to whether you'd want a cold Jan and Feb or a March 12, April 07 as a repeat.

I was hoping for a cold and snowy December. I was born in St Petersburg Russia (then called Leningrad) and left when I was very young. The only memory I have of a proper White Christmas is from then. A thin covering of snow in the garden just does not do it for me, but its better than nothing.

I like extreme winter and summer.

I tend to prefer cold and snow early rather than late. I will be hoping for cold and snow up until about mid February. Everything after that just makes me feel winter has passed and spring is on the way, so I begin start looking forward to summer at the end of February.

I'm not very experienced, but going on what I've read here and tried to understand from charts, I don't really hold much hope for December. I expect January will be colder than average, but not much snowfall. February too far ahead for me to predict.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Thunderstorms and Heatwaves

Don't write December off yet there are still 15 days til Christmas and I think the charts are trying to tell us something! Posted Image

Posted

Don't write December off yet there are still 15 days til Christmas and I think the charts are trying to tell us something! Posted Image

Yes, they are telling us it's going to be extremely mild! Even the most ardent cold rampers must admit that December is virtually a write-off for cold given the current embedded pattern.

At the moment it's 13C in Cardiff and with no wind it actually feels warm in the unbroken sushine. So much so I didn't bother wearing my coat today, just nice shirt-sleeve weather. I think this winter will go down in the record books.... for it's mildness.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, they are telling us it's going to be extremely mild! Even the most ardent cold rampers must admit that December is virtually a write-off for cold given the current embedded pattern.At the moment it's 13C in Cardiff and with no wind it actually feels warm in the unbroken sushine. So much so I didn't bother wearing my coat today, just nice shirt-sleeve weather. I think this winter will go down in the record books.... for it's mildness.

I wonder odds bookmakers are giving for a White Christmas?

Edited by hollowbaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Yes, they are telling us it's going to be extremely mild! Even the most ardent cold rampers must admit that December is virtually a write-off for cold given the current embedded pattern.At the moment it's 13C in Cardiff and with no wind it actually feels warm in the unbroken sushine. So much so I didn't bother wearing my coat today, just nice shirt-sleeve weather. I think this winter will go down in the record books.... for it's mildness.

Really?! Still 10C in Bristol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I wonder odds bookmakers are giving for a White Christmas?

As of last night paddy power has

London 9/4

Cardiff 3/1

Dublin 9/4

Manchester 2/1

Glasgow 2/1

Posted

Really?! Still 10C in Bristol.

Yep, Bizarrely now 14C in Pentwyn and Rumney (both in Cardiff).No clear signs of a pattern change upstream as yet so I cannot see much changing in the next couple of weeks.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I was hoping for a cold and snowy December. I was born in St Petersburg Russia (then called Leningrad) and left when I was very young. The only memory I have of a proper White Christmas is from then. A thin covering of snow in the garden just does not do it for me, but its better than nothing.

I like extreme winter and summer.

I tend to prefer cold and snow early rather than late. I will be hoping for cold and snow up until about mid February. Everything after that just makes me feel winter has passed and spring is on the way, so I begin start looking forward to summer at the end of February.

I'm not very experienced, but going on what I've read here and tried to understand from charts, I don't really hold much hope for December. I expect January will be colder than average, but not much snowfall. February too far ahead for me to predict.

Undecided myself, i prefer my cold (and summer heat) to come early (Nov-Jan) and while November was chilly it never produced the lying snow and neither will December by the looks of things. On the other hand March 12, April 07 and May 08 were orgasmic for dry warmth (no humidity) and sunshine.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe cold

Don't write December off yet there are still 15 days til Christmas and I think the charts are trying to tell us something! Posted Image

where are you getting that from, what do you think the charts are trying to say ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Cold looks to be in short supply across Europe in the run up to Xmas..potentially looks stormy around Xmas that is all i can see.

Posted

i have this horrible feeling that this winter is going to be one of the mildest winters we have had for a few years, no science to my opinion, just a hunch, fingers crossed im wrong, lol. but should it be the case then i hope i see some snow in Feb when im in Rekjavik.

• Like 2

Posted

i have this horrible feeling that this winter is going to be one of the mildest winters we have had for a few years, no science to my opinion, just a hunch, fingers crossed im wrong, lol. but should it be the case then i hope i see some snow in Feb when im in Rekjavik.

Well. Here is something I noticed myself that is not scientific.

When there is a cold winter approaching, I have been able to smell a scent from some of my trees usually around October or November. When it is going to be a mild winter, I don't smell anything from them that year. 

This year I noticed the scent late November. So guessing that indicates a late start. My Apple Tree BTW still has green leaves on it.

Now I don't really believe in my own method, because even the trees can get it wrong. But I am wondering if there will be a severe (not just below average) cold spell for a couple of weeks later in January or early February?

If there are not at least a couple of weeks of extreme cold with hopefully heavy snow, late in the season I can only blame my trees for lying to me and so far from what I recall they have not been wrong in their scents.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I see the express was bang at it again honestly they must get some stick.

I'm amazed that Nathan Rao is still on twitter considering some of the replies he gets from these stories

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

man this winters reminding me a lot of w2011-2012 again a mild october folowed by a crap winter. The saving grace of that winter was feb 2012 with that cold spell and even then it was nothing to sing about here. No matter how peeps dres it up the charts r crap for us coldies. The patern we r in atm can hang around for ages and it's a gfuqhgfpjh to get out of. Don't get me wrong guys i'm not by any mean saying winters over b

• Like 2

Well. Here is something I noticed myself that is not scientific. When there is a cold winter approaching, I have been able to smell a scent from some of my trees usually around October or November. When it is going to be a mild winter, I don't smell anything from them that year.  This year I noticed the scent late November. So guessing that indicates a late start. My Apple Tree BTW still has green leaves on it. Now I don't really believe in my own method, because even the trees can get it wrong. But I am wondering if there will be a severe (not just below average) cold spell for a couple of weeks later in January or early February? If there are not at least a couple of weeks of extreme cold with hopefully heavy snow, late in the season I can only blame my trees for lying to me and so far from what I recall they have not been wrong in their scents.

Lol

Posted

man this winters reminding me a lot of w2011-2012 again a mild october folowed by a crap winter. The saving grace of that winter was feb 2012 with that cold spell and even then it was nothing to sing about here. No matter how peeps dres it up the charts r crap for us coldies. The patern we r in atm can hang around for ages and it's a caravan to get out of. Don't get me wrong guys i'm not by any mean saying winters over b

Dec 2011 was a lot better here. Polar maritime air most of the month, day after day of falling snow, snowline seemed to hover around my house but places further up the hill had 6 inches lying for at least a week, maybe two. Massive drifts up in the mountains before the mild air swept in for Christmas. Really do hope it's not as mild this Christmas.

Posted

Dec 2011 was a lot better here. Polar maritime air most of the month, day after day of falling snow, snowline seemed to hover around my house but places further up the hill had 6 inches lying for at least a week, maybe two. Massive drifts up in the mountains before the mild air swept in for Christmas. Really do hope it's not as mild this Christmas.

Are you referring to the fall on the 16th? about 2 inches here and it lasted for 4 days on the ground, so not a bad period in what turned out to be a horror last third of December

Posted

man this winters reminding me a lot of w2011-2012 again a mild october folowed by a crap winter. The saving grace of that winter was feb 2012 with that cold spell and even then it was nothing to sing about here. No matter how peeps dres it up the charts r crap for us coldies. The patern we r in atm can hang around for ages and it's a caravan to get out of. Don't get me wrong guys i'm not by any mean saying winters over b

I think to be honest at the moment things are looking somewhat worse than they were 2 years ago.  Certainly not saying Winter's over by any means, but I don't think we've had an outlook like this for 7 years.

Posted

I know this is slightly off topic, but a great documentary about living alone in Siberian wilderness for 70 years. Lots of snow and it was filmed in winter. Maybe it will inspire the weather. I think it is a great example of how someone can survive alone in the wilderness.

I am quiet rural myself, in that I brew and distill my own spirits. I also keep dogs and chickens and installed a  stainless steel chimney and woods stove myself so burning a lot of cut timber from my own diy projects.

When I move to a farm I plan to keep a herd of bison.

Plan to move somewhere more remote within a few years. A large abandoned farm sounds ideal so I can renovate it. When I bought my place it was in worse condition than a crack house with holes in walls and broken windows. Walls and ceiling made of asbestos. Now it is close to looking better than many of the houses in the area.

But watching this documentary is like watching a hardcore element of Ray Meirs and Bear Grylles with a hint of religious studies thrown in for free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt2AYafET68

Edited by hollowbaron

Posted

I know this is slightly off topic, but a great documentary about living alone in Siberian wilderness for 70 years. Lots of snow and it was filmed in winter. Maybe it will inspire the weather. I think it is a great example of how someone can survive alone in the wilderness.

I am quiet rural myself, in that I brew and distill my own spirits. I also keep dogs and chickens and installed a  stainless steel chimney and woods stove myself so burning a lot of cut timber from my own diy projects.

Plan to move somewhere more remote within a few years. A large abandoned farm sounds ideal so I can renovate it. When I bought my place it was in worse condition than a crack house with holes in walls and broken windows. Walls and ceiling made of asbestos. Now it is close to looking better than many of the houses in the area.

But watching this documentary is like watching a hardcore element of Ray Meirs and Bear Grylles with a hint of religious studies thrown in for free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt2AYafET68

Too much informationPosted Image Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

greetings, i was watching that game on sky sports yesterday, pitchside reporter said 8 inches of snow fell during the first half of the game

Wow, and they carried on playing and in short sleeves! We are lucky if we see 8 inches in an entire winter - what I'd give to see a blizzard like that right now, or at some point this winter :-)
  • Like 2