Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013-2014 Discussion- Part 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

cheeky_monkey: You live in Edmonton currently? 

no i live in Calgary

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Just as footnote..my new Audi A4 quattro..what a beast of a car..even got me around when other bigger 4x4 were getting stuck..this morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Possibly just experienced one of the worst winter storms i have seen since i have lived in Canada...i am currently snowed in...roads are impassable out of my district just tried to go and grab a coffee..cars, buses, trucks abandoned or completely stuck..no work for me today..with the windchill it is below -30c to boot....brrrr

C'mon now, post up some pics!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Looking at the BBC's latest video the cold air won't make it into the south west and much of Ireland with the exception of northern Ireland

Thursday

Posted Image

Then during Friday the milder air is making its move

Posted Image

And this is how things looked on Sunday

Posted Image

Just goes to show how quickly things have changed

Posted

It can also turn the other way with the midlness. I think we have been unlucky in the cold sector, we have had a couple of very cold air-masses which have been pushed away. I suppose it could be worse.

Posted

Looking at the BBC's latest video the cold air won't make it into the south west and much of Ireland with the exception of northern Ireland

Thursday

Posted Image

Then during Friday the milder air is making its move

Posted Image

And this is how things looked on Sunday

Posted Image

Just goes to show how quickly things have changed

Yep, a bit soul destroying really when comparing that chart from Sunday to today's!  The cold air barely even touches my area.

Posted

Just as footnote..my new Audi A4 quattro..what a beast of a car..even got me around when other bigger 4x4 were getting stuck..this morning

If I ever get a second house, somewhere that is hot in summer and cold in winter, like Siberia. Will build something like this, never get stuck in snow and rarely replace a wheel and enough space for a bed and office in the back.

Posted Image

Edited by hollowbaron
  • Like 4

If I ever get a second house, somewhere that is hot in summer and cold in winter, like Siberia. Will build something like this, never get stuck in snow and rarely replace a wheel and enough space for a bed and office in the back.

Posted Image

The German vehicles struggled on the Eastern Front in winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The German vehicles struggled on the Eastern Front in winter!

What a Panza!

Posted

Weather onlines month ahead forecast including a look at Christmas which may well be Green

Valid from 30/11 to 27/12 2013
Dry overall

Issued: Wednesday 4th December 2013
Duty forecaster: Simon Keeling & Captain Bob

Plenty of dry weather, only a brief colder snap

The area of high pressure which has been hanging around the UK and Ireland for the past few weeks looks set to remain our guest for much of December. It is likely to be a dry month for many, and although cool at times, there are signs of a only a brief colder snap around the middle of the month.

8/12/13 to 13/12/13*

High pressure is expected to be in control of conditions through the course of the coming week. This is going to be bringing plenty of dry weather across much of the UK and Ireland. It is likely to be mild for a while, especially into the middle stages of the week. Indications of temperatures slipping later in the week, although probably becoming 'cool' rather than 'cold'.

*14/12/13 to 20/12/13*

There is consistency from models that high pressure remains the main factor in the weather through the week. This brings more dry weather. However, temperatures are expected to be slowly slipping as the week progresses, and by the middle to end of the week it may be fairly cold. There is likely to be a fair amount of cloud around too, the best of any sunshine always in the west. In areas of lighter winds, such as Scotland and northwest England as well as the northern half of Ireland, winds may be light enough to allow mist and fog patches to form. The risk of a frost increases through the week.

*21/12/13......27/12/13*

The area of high pressure is expected to again be dominant in the run up to Christmas, although it may be that the winds become more south to southeasterly leading to slightly milder conditions. There is the threat of some rain in the far west, but the east is expected to remain dry. It's hard to see any signs of a White Christmas!

*28/12/13......3/1/14*

Conditions may become a little more mixed through the New Year period. Cloud and rain could affect more southern areas, with the north dry. Rain reaching the north later, possibly preceded by some wet snow. There is the chance that as we enter the new year a spells of strong southwest winds may ensue, bringing more unsettled conditions.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?LANG=en&MENU=monthahead&DAY=20131204

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

Posted Image

I'd get myself a Hagglund, they had to break out this bad boy back in March, the only thing that could cope with those massive drifts! They're amphibious too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ic2ODoCaw

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Wow this winter is looking like it's going to turn out really disappointing again. 

A) you use the word again - but the last few years winters haven't been disappointing.

B ) winter is only 5 days old - so even with the best computers forecasts, the 12th Dec is as far as one could reliably predict leaving another 78 days that improvements could be gained.

C) perhaps you could find the correct thread to moan into as this thread is for discussion, not moaning.

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun or snow, nothing in between.

B ) winter is only 5 days old - so even with the best computers forecasts, the 12th Dec is as far as one could reliably predict leaving another 78 days that improvements could be gained.

Does Winter not officially start 20th Dec in UK?

Posted

Does Winter not officially start 20th Dec in UK?

Meteorologically speaking its December 1st to the final day of February 28th / 29th

Posted

I'd get myself a Hagglund, they had to break out this bad boy back in March, the only thing that could cope with those massive drifts! They're amphibious too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ic2ODoCaw

I have 2 at my disposal, they are great in the snow but are very very expensive to maintain !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

but the last few years winters haven't been disappointing

Not in this part of the UK

2009/10 was probably the best in recent years.

December2010 was quite exceptional, but the rest of the winter was very mild.

2011/12 was exceptionally mild with no appreciable frost from late December through the whole of January and February.

Last year (2012/13) was a strange one. Days of quite heavy persistent snow but it was gone by the next day, yet, only a couple of hundred feet ASL it really was quite amazing, especially March. Had the march set up happened in January it really would have been good. Sadly, a little too late in season, though those that did get it.......

Still, this December is shaping up to be a really mild one. Can't see anything remotely cold in the run up to Christmas

It could be a really mild stinker Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Want real cold then head to Devils Lake, USA, solid snow pack on the ground and an extreme -33c windchill Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Streaming Devils Lake cam http://www.gondtc.com/webcam-4th&4th.html

Looking very bitter all week into next week http://classic.wunderground.com/US/ND/Devils_Lake/KDVL.html

Edited by Gaz1985
  • Like 1

Posted

Proper wild day, plenty of branches down on the roads and lost power for a couple of hours this morning. First low level snow of the season this afternoon, there was a good couple of inches on higher parts of the A66 near Scales, just a dusting on the grass back home.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Looks like its gonna be a very cold December after all. Posted Image

Posted

I'm sure it would be more busy if what gav said was true! That's a dream scenario,fingers crossed,wait and see if it comes into the reliable timeframe