Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013-2014 Discussion- Part 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

This is not a write off post but I am not confident of potent cold before xmas now, I never was truly on board, lets hope some foundations can at least be layed in the coming weeks

Why are you not confident? Xmas is over a month away. 2 weeks a go no one saw this cold spell coming so anything can happen between now and xmas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

If anyone is interested, here is an excerpt of a convo between me and Fred (BFTP). This was my reply to a message he sent me

''Hi Fred, I've actually been quietly thinking that this may well be the 'big one'. Though I've not said anything to anyone. I've given hints in the winter thread about a big -AO winter etc etc. I'm not really willing to stick my neck out with such wild predictions as the weather makes fools of us all! '78/'79 has also been running through my mind....''

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Why are you not confident? Xmas is over a month away. 2 weeks a go no one saw this cold spell coming so anything can happen between now and xmas

tbf I did see it coming - look at my sig but didn't think it would last.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

This is not a write off post but I am not confident of potent cold before xmas now, I never was truly on board, lets hope some foundations can at least be layed in the coming weeks

Don't write anything off just yet !

Just been looking back at Dec 2010 This is what the GFS gave out deep into FI on the 30th Nov for the 16th Dec

Posted Image

And this is what we got Posted Image So don't give up just Yet.

Posted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 3

Posted

It snowed here last night very heavy for about 5 mins. about 2cms and its still here!!Posted Image

Hemphill.....hempsall here.... Ive got a book with history of hemphill and hempsalls history....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Don't write anything off just yet !

Just been looking back at Dec 2010 This is what the GFS gave out deep into FI on the 30th Nov for the 16th Dec

Posted Image

And this is what we got Posted Image So don't give up just Yet.

Posted Image

I just don't think the forecast wave 2 activity will be able to stop the strong upper vortex from downwelling, at least for a while anyway, I still think hlb on offrr later in winter.

EDIT - yes I know a spit is forecast in the mid strat but for how long with temps average at best in the polar regions, we could still have a coldish dec but more likely to be due to faux cold at the start.

Agree now with not taking any output  beyond day 7, perhaps ens day 10 in straightforward setups (transitions to hlb rarely are) seriously unless backed by background signals (the most importan of which is the stratosphere)

Note I said I am not confident, it doesn't mean it cannot happen, I would love to see a parallel thread for this date in 2009 though TBF, I bet it wasn't loaded with bullish posts then, I would love to see that netweather  video where they all sat around a table, its gone now though.

As I have said before, if the Aleutian and Siberian ridges keep blasting away at that vortex, it will fall eventually, I don't understand these matters very scientifically but I have run through a heck of a lot of winters on the H500 reanalysis charts from Nov to March and I do know what a promising chart looks like and you do tend to get a feel for what is likely down the line, nothing really scientific but just instinct, it seems to me that we need to keep at least 2 ridges blasting at that vortex simultaneously to get it to completely shred thus giving us a chance of prolonged and deep cold.

I would advise anyone on this thread who is a novice if they have time, to run through the Northern hemisphere reanalysis charts on meteociel through winters of the past, you do tend to get a feel and it will stand you in good stead when it comes to analysing the  NWP runs on the MOD thread,

Here is a good starting point and to be fair it will look like I am contradicting myself here because this proves, yes that anything is possible.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=1&month=1&hour=0&year=1987&map=4&mode=2

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i do agree with EML network an avrage to abit mild winter nothing scientific about it just a fieling, i hope i'm wrong and we get a winter to remembor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Flat again.

All you can do is have ideas and possible trends but it's absolutely impossible to forecast weather in advance of 14 days . To say "the deal is done until after Xmas" is rediculous Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast

Manchester Winter Index will be starting soon, 4 of the last 5 winters have passed the 100 threshold mark.

Yes since 2008 the winters have been great round these parts Mr Data.

I have some pics on my FB page of me being stood in dfifts up to my waistline up strinesdale resovoir in Oldham.

Brought back some wondeful memories from my (distant) childhood.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe cold

I find it amazing that one chart says one thing and another chart says something else, not two charts say the same thing after 3 days, but yet people still go by what they are saying 10 days - 2 weeks down the road, charts are only as good as the data is put into them, but after 3 days they are useless, our climate/weather system is that sensitive not even models can tell you what's happening.

The other thing is that even the great almighty MET Office has said that this November has been on average 3 degrees colder than last November, does that tell you something, I believe that we are going to have a cold winter, and a white Christmas.

I also believe that the winter of 09/10 was so cold was caused by the BP oil leak clogging up and nearly stopping the North Atlantic Current, I could be wrong but that's what I believe. 

Come on winter, let it, let it snow, let it snow, Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Jamstec has now updated for November its signalling an average to marginally below winter temperature wise for most, Its hard to tell but I think the south west could be marginally above

Posted Image

Rainfall looks average to marginally above in a few places

Posted Image

From Matt Hugo on twitter

Some increase in confidence this morning for a more Atlantic influence as we move into early Dec with possible W or SW'ly winds developing.

@DerekTheWeather quiet, settled last week of November then? #boring

@MattHugo81 - Increasingly zonal by the looks. Heights fall to the north, high pressure declines to the S or SW etc. #NoSignOfCold

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

Jamstec has now updated for November its signalling an average to marginally below winter temperature wise for most, Its hard to tell but I think the south west could be marginally above

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some increase in confidence this morning for a more Atlantic influence as we move into early Dec with possible W or SW'ly winds developing.

@MattHugo81 - Increasingly zonal by the looks. Heights fall to the north, high pressure declines to the S or SW etc. #NoSignOfCold

Amazing how Matt Hugo changes his mind what seems like every five minutes. A week ago he was going for northern blocking for the forseable!

• Like 1

Posted

Amazing how Matt Hugo changes his mind what seems like every five minutes. A week ago he was going for northern blocking for the forseable!

Just goes to show how often the models chop and change

• Like 2

Posted

Snow warnings issued for the following locations above 200 meters for Scotland and above 300 meters for locations in the England warnings, less cold air will quickly following so any lying snow will melt quite quickly

Highlands & Eilean Siar

Grampian Central,

Tayside & Fife

North West England

North East England

Yorkshire & Humber

West Midlands

East Midlands

Issued at: 0946 on Wed 20 Nov 2013

Valid from: 1000 on Wed 20 Nov 2013

Valid to: 2359 on Wed 20 Nov 2013

Showers during Wednesday are likely to fall as snow above 200-300 metres in northern Scotland, with some temporary accumulations of 1-3 cm of snow on roads above 250 metres during daylight hours, but 2-5 cm is possible this evening with 5-10 cm above 400-500 metres. The snow showers will be accompanied by strong northerly winds. The public should be aware of the potential for difficult driving conditions and some minor travel disruption.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Frequent and at times heavy showers will be driven across northern Scotland by strong northerly winds. The showers will fall as snow at times, chiefly above 200 metres, with an increasing risk of snow accumulating on roads during the evening.

Issued at: 1038 on Wed 20 Nov 2013

Valid from: 1700 on Wed 20 Nov 2013

Valid to: 2359 on Wed 20 Nov 2013

An area of more organised showers will move south across northern England during Wednesday evening. The showers will fall as sleet, snow and hail on high ground, before turning to rain within a few hours. Temporary accumulations of 2-5 cm of snow are possible within 2-3 hours above 300-400 metres. The public should be aware of the possibility of difficult driving conditions and some minor travel disruption on higher Pennine routes.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

An occlusion will bring a band of more organised showers south across many parts of northern England during Wednesday evening. The air will be cold enough for snow to fall over high ground, although less cold air will quickly follow from the northeast, such that snow will turn to rain with any lying snow melting.

Ice warnings are also out

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1384905600&regionName=uk

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Another rather poor run for coldies! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Matt Hugo changes his mind with every run. I don't pay attention to him.

Look at this chart for the start of December

Posted Image

If this comes off we will be going into the freezer.

Posted

That Jamstec just looks strange. Below average for the British Isles yet above average for everywhere around it?

A procession of Northerly topplers perhaps as a prevailing Winter synoptic?

• Like 1

Posted

That jamstec run had the whole of the northern hemisphere warmer or slightly warmer than average. This i cant see, the whole of the NH cant be above average. UK gets a slightly cooler look but i suspect this is a model run like many others struggling with the various factors involved in forecasting a sudden event!!!

Posted

That Jamstec just looks strange. Below average for the British Isles yet above average for everywhere around it?A procession of Northerly topplers perhaps as a prevailing Winter synoptic?

That's exactly what I was thinking and couldn't make it out at all.  Scotland won't do so bad with repeating northerly topplers!

Posted

Matt Hugo changes his mind with every run. I don't pay attention to him.

Look at this chart for the start of December

Posted Image

If this comes off we will be going into the freezer.

Yes will be interesting to see the next couple of runs to see if it continues. Lets hope some other models come on board!!! 

That Jamstec just looks strange. Below average for the British Isles yet above average for everywhere around it?

A procession of Northerly topplers perhaps as a prevailing Winter synoptic?

Weird just posted the same thought at same time lol