Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013-2014 Discussion- Part 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

There is still a few updates to come in yet which may go for something colder hopefully they'll be in this week

If they show cold so be it I will still post them if they don't appear before I find they've updated

• Like 1

Posted

Plus would a mild winter really be such a bad thing? The gas companys have all hicked up there prices and alot of elderly or infirmed cant afford there bills.

That's all very well, but at the end of the day this is a weather forum and not 'can everyone afford their gas bills forum'!  However, if one prefers mild weather that's fair enough.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

That's all very well, but at the end of the day this is a weather forum and not 'can everyone afford their gas bills forum'!  However, if one prefers mild weather that's fair enough.

If it's cold I won't be able to afford the heating bill but I'm still rooting for a arctic winter lol. I have plenty of woolly jumpers and outdoor gear anyway so I'm sorted my housemates might be annoyed though.

edit i'm oil heating so it's very expensive. 

Edited by gary1365

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

^^^ I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad

edit i love the swear block on this site it's actually quite funny.

Edited by gary1365

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
It's not ridiculous anymore, just plain weird. Why are they doing this? The only explanation is that making up insane rubbish about the weather shifts papers in numbers.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

yeah plus all us idiots visiting there website Posted Image

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i c lot of people r getting excited with the last nights 12h ecmf output again regarding another cold shot wich is 240h away. It was the same models showed fantastic cinoptics only for them to fall to bits closer to the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

yeah plus all us idiots visiting there website Posted Image

This! I refuse to click on Express links, don't want to give them hits. Their circulation numbers have been in free fall over recent years (like most papers) so they need to make up even more BS than they usually do in a desperate attempt to stay afloat...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i've no probs paying for heating as long as we get a cold winter with plenty of snow, how ever i do understand the point regarding the elderly.

Posted

All these insulting posts about my Guru the great James Madden ,but has anyone noticed that an anagram of his surname is Damned !!!

All these insulting posts about my Guru the great James Madden ,but has anyone noticed that an anagram of his surname is Damned !!!

Posted

The "big freeze" is going to last a month according to the express, yesterday it was going to snow for 100 days

Nathan Rao can't seem to make his mind up

And before any of that we are still awaiting the "Record breaking snow predicted for November" he said was coming back in October

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/436170/Worst-winter-for-decades-Record-breaking-snow-predicted-for-November

Posted

The "big freeze" is going to last a month according to the express, yesterday it was going to snow for 100 days

Nathan Rao can't seem to make his mind up

And before any of that we are still awaiting the "Record breaking snow predicted for November" he said was coming back in October

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/436170/Worst-winter-for-decades-Record-breaking-snow-predicted-for-November

Press would not hire someone if they were honest. If someone gave honest weather forecast, they would be asked to spice it up, failing that would be replaced.

I know it easy to blame the likes of Madden. But you can't expect him to lose his job, simply to give real forecasts.

I wonder if some of them have hidden meanings? Like the colder your saying its going to be, what you mean is the milder its going to be and vice versa.

So a really cold Winter forecast Headline would go something like "Brits bracing for Indian Winter as Holiday makers plan to rush UK Beaches on Christmas day."

Edited by hollowbaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

A thought for all snow and cricket fans, some of the best winters have been ashes winters, 1986/87 - stonking winter, 1990-91 - stonking winter 2010-11, stonking winter month, 2013-14 ????

• Like 1

Posted

He would have to sack himself - he owns the website doesn't he?, he may lose enough business though I suppose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Press would not hire someone if they were honest. If someone gave honest weather forecast, they would be asked to spice it up, failing that would be replaced.

I know it easy to blame the likes of Madden. But you can't expect him to lose his job, simply to give real forecasts.

It might be worth having a read of this..

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/georgemonbiot/2012/jun/15/daily-express-weather-forecast-jonathan-powell Posted Image

I know it's two different people but they are both doing the same thing, and who knows, perhaps JP is also JM? 

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

It might be worth having a read of this..

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/georgemonbiot/2012/jun/15/daily-express-weather-forecast-jonathan-powell Posted Image

I know it's two different people but they are both doing the same thing, and who knows, perhaps JP is also JM? 

No worse than the guardian's liberal use of fraudulent statistics to back up their left wing agenda to ruin the traditions of this once great country though, pot and kettle springs to mind here I think???

Posted

Jonathan Powell has issued his winter forecast

Winter 2013/3014: A Taste of Winter's Past?

December 2013

December looks like being an unsettled month with no one particular pattern dominating the whole of the proceedings.  During more settled phases of weather, frost and ice can be expected, perhaps severe with regards to frost.  There will be a risk of sleet and snow, generally across northern and north eastern areas, with perhaps some southerly incursions, although anything sustained here is unlikely.  Milder weather will be in evidence with wet and windy episodes, although around the festive period to the north and north east, perhaps conditions cold enough for a scattering of snow showers, making for a White Christmas.  Drier than average for the month across northern areas, on the average to the south.  Temperatures for December will reflect on or around the average.

January 2014

January generally looks a wetter and potentially colder month, possibly significantly colder, so combining the two looks likely to produce some snow events of note throughout the first month of 2014, but whilst the mix may favour chillier weather, milder and wetter weather will be in evidence at times.  The emphasis on the snow will not just be across northern regions but fairly widespread at times, giving much of the UK a taste of winter's past, bringing the season more into line with how the weather should be for the time of year.  Perhaps a few surprises during January.  With regards to rainfall, a wetter than average month, with temperatures on or below the average.

February 2014

February is likely to inherit the cold that January has harboured, so potentially another cold month but perhaps with more of an even split between chillier conditions and milder, wetter ones, although February could still generate a wintry sting.  The north and east look favoured to see the worst of what wintry weather February may produce, with possibly the south more spared, especially late month, although it is unlikely that the south will escape snow completely.  On balance, another winter-like month with rainfall above the average, and temperatures on or around the average.

VWS

Sunday November 17th 2013

http://www.vantageweatherservices.co.uk/3.html

Posted

Met office ensemble mean maps out and high pressure is now shown to sit over the UK for winter

Posted Image

As a result of the high pressure we have below average rainfall

Posted Image

850 temps slightly above normal

Posted Image

2m temps slightly below average for England and Wales, slightly above for Scotland

Posted Image

So the met office are going for a very quiet and settled winter, just jamstec left now before we have them all in for the final time before winter

Had a look beyond winter and that high doesn't shift

Jan to April its still  over the UK

Posted ImagePosted Image

As a result rainfall remains below average for the 5 months those maps cover

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

Jonathan Powell has issued his winter forecast

Winter 2013/3014: A Taste of Winter's Past?

December 2013

December looks like being an unsettled month with no one particular pattern dominating the whole of the proceedings.  During more settled phases of weather, frost and ice can be expected, perhaps severe with regards to frost.  There will be a risk of sleet and snow, generally across northern and north eastern areas, with perhaps some southerly incursions, although anything sustained here is unlikely.  Milder weather will be in evidence with wet and windy episodes, although around the festive period to the north and north east, perhaps conditions cold enough for a scattering of snow showers, making for a White Christmas.  Drier than average for the month across northern areas, on the average to the south.  Temperatures for December will reflect on or around the average.

January 2014

January generally looks a wetter and potentially colder month, possibly significantly colder, so combining the two looks likely to produce some snow events of note throughout the first month of 2014, but whilst the mix may favour chillier weather, milder and wetter weather will be in evidence at times.  The emphasis on the snow will not just be across northern regions but fairly widespread at times, giving much of the UK a taste of winter's past, bringing the season more into line with how the weather should be for the time of year.  Perhaps a few surprises during January.  With regards to rainfall, a wetter than average month, with temperatures on or below the average.

February 2014

February is likely to inherit the cold that January has harboured, so potentially another cold month but perhaps with more of an even split between chillier conditions and milder, wetter ones, although February could still generate a wintry sting.  The north and east look favoured to see the worst of what wintry weather February may produce, with possibly the south more spared, especially late month, although it is unlikely that the south will escape snow completely.  On balance, another winter-like month with rainfall above the average, and temperatures on or around the average.

VWS

Sunday November 17th 2013

http://www.vantageweatherservices.co.uk/3.html

Well Guardian and its readers (not aimed at you Gavin), please tell me what is sensationalist and headline grabbing about that?, I have no idea of its merit as he hasn't revealed his methodology but apart from Stewart, what forecaster ever does including the Met Office?

• Like 1

Posted

Met office ensemble mean maps out and high pressure is now shown to sit over the UK for winter

Posted Image

As a result of the high pressure we have below average rainfall

Posted Image

850 temps slightly above normal

Posted Image

2m temps slightly below average for England and Wales, slightly above for Scotland

Posted Image

So the met office are going for a very quiet and settled winter, just jamstec left now before we have them all in for the final time before winter

Had a look beyond winter and that high doesn't shift

Jan to April its still  over the UK

Posted ImagePosted Image

As a result rainfall remains below average for the 5 months those maps cover

Not that bad because that's a 3 monthly mean, you wouldn't expect a high to just sit there for 3 months so some Bartlett like conditions but also some Easterly  influences at times, overall though, I have to concede that its as good a run as you could have hoped for Gavin.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Well Guardian and its readers (not aimed at you Gavin), please tell me what is sensationalist and headline grabbing about that?, I have no idea of its merit as he hasn't revealed his methodology but apart from Stewart, what forecaster ever does including the Met Office?

Just to clarify here, i'm no Guardian reader, or a reader of any newspaper to be honest. I posted the link about JP because it is true. In the space of about a week (last year) there were four headlines saying that cold would prevail throughout the month, then floods the next day, then a storm on the way, then finally some decent sunshine and warmth to come, JP quoted them each time. I remember emailing JP's site (before he closed it) asking if a link to my weather site could be put on his site, as other independent stations around the country had theirs put on there, i'm pretty sure he has no academic background in meteorology, he's just an amateur forecaster who likes cause a bit of  controversy and grab the weather headlines.  

Any one of us posting here right now could start up what he's done, a basic website ... put your name forward to the papers .. look at the charts out in FI , and then create a ridiculous headline, somebody should try it, i don't think it would take long before your name appeared in the express or mail. :)