Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013-2014 Discussion- Part 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

What has a larger teapot got to do with it?

I believe this is a Net Weather TV joke to do with certain people in the past posting excessively about a m o d e r n winter so they filtered the word to mean something else. I could be wrong though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Mods why????? Is this happening??

Because we all got sick and tired of deleting references/jibes relating to the Modern Winter...Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

One for smithyweather;

post-12721-0-17590800-1384704115_thumb.jpost-12721-0-21020100-1384704122_thumb.j

Posted

I believe this is a Net Weather TV joke to do with certain people in the past posting excessively about a m o d e r n winter so they filtered the word to mean something else. I could be wrong though.

Yes it's a shame that the phrase can't be typed, as the originator I would hope that this will be relaxed over time particularly as I accept that we are now post mdrn

• Like 5

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Weather-history, November 17, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Weather-history, November 17, 2013 - No reason given

Yes it's a shame that the phrase can't be typed, as the originator I would hope that this will be relaxed over time particularly as I accept that we are now post mdrn

IanI have told you often enough you were not the originator of this phrase, it was used in the 1920s. Accept it.
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

And all of a sudden winter is over and it's only the 17th of November....... Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Words I never thought I would hear!!!!.

Posted

Winter is winter, it can be dry, mild, cold, wet, snowy, windy etc. There is no such thing as old fashioned, modern or post modern versions of these as far as I'm concerned.

Incidentally, modern and old fashioned added in front of "winter" were used decades ago and not recent inventions as have been claimed.

Posted

But people - don't get your knickers in a twist over it, just hyphen it but do it cleverly because NW swear filters can be fairly intelligent sometimes or better still just say 'post 1988-2007 era' or something similar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

So what's happening with this cold snap?? will it snow in the central belt??Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

So what's happening with this cold snap?? will it snow in the central belt??Posted Image

Depends on your location you can see the met offices thoughts for the week ahead here - http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/69782-weather-in-the-general-media-newspaper-features-etc/?p=2837064

Posted

Winter is winter, it can be dry, mild, cold, wet, snowy, windy etc. There is no such thing as old fashioned, modern or post modern versions of these as far as I'm concerned.Incidentally, modern and old fashioned added in front of "winter" were used decades ago and not recent inventions as have been claimed.

Agreed that's the proper definition, its about dates and not weather type, I have my own definition and that is the chronological spread that you can realistically get disruptive snowfall in and the one you cannot, the former being mid - late Nov - late March, or Nov - April in this neck of the woods, there are only two seasons in my book but of course i admit its wrong but the other half of the year just doesn't interest me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

It is yeah mõdern era was made a 'swear word' by netweather, around 3 years ago

Posted

Agreed that's the proper definition, its about dates and not weather type, I have my own definition and that is the chronological spread that you can realistically get disruptive snowfall in and the one you cannot, the former being mid - late Nov - late March, or Nov - April in this neck of the woods, there are only two seasons in my book but of course i admit its wrong but the other half of the year just doesn't interest me.

A lot of us who have our preferences tend to only like certain seasons for me its spring and summer

spring I like because nature is getting into full swing again with the bulbs coming into flower and the days become longer and warmer

and summer? well my name and avatar pic tells you

• Like 2

Posted

I tell you what is really getting on my wick now, the GEFS not updating until the next GFS run is nearly about to start every single run, i hope this doesn't continue throughout winter.

Posted

I tell you what is really getting on my wick now, the GEFS not updating until the next GFS run is nearly about to start every single run, i hope this doesn't continue throughout winter.

wetterzentral GFS ensemble update is out now - http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsenseur.html

1st gives pressure ensemble

4th gives the overview of all the ensembles

5th gives the temperature ensemble

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

wetterzentral GFS ensemble update is out now - http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsenseur.html

Cheers, I like to look at each individual member run usually bu because they are so onions the last few runs that will do thanks.

Posted Image

EDIT : i would take that GEM run you posted about any day of the week.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Cheers, I like to look at each individual member run usually bu because they are so onions the last few runs that will do thanks.

Posted Image

EDIT : i would take that GEM run you posted about any day of the week.

FI in that GEM  run stinks! way too early yet for snow off that setup, would be great in Jan-Mar, as what happened this year

Posted

6th and final winter round up video from Gavin P, at this sage he's going for a milder winter with less blocking not the final call though next week will have the final model round up before he releases the final forecast on Sunday 1st December but for now he's going for a milder one

No doubt a disappointing round up but if this Winter does end up being milder, I would like to think that many places will at least see some short lived lying snow at some point.  We have been rather spoilt during the last 5 years and our expectations are so much higher now that even the prospects of an 'average' Winter would not be enough.  However, after Winter 2006/07, we would have been excited by that prospect!

Edited by Don

Posted

FI in that GEM  run stinks! way too early yet for snow off that setup, would be great in Jan-Mar, as what happened this year

Probably not quite enough energy being sent south but much more chance of a stonking undercut than on any other model.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe cold

the ECMWF seems to be giving it colder than the GFS, is that good or bad, I mean in the terms of which chart is better of course, is it just me or does the cold seem to be winning and keeping the warmth at bay as the month goes onPosted Image