Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013-2014 Discussion- Part 2

Posted

Well since i'm from northern ireland and you are from southern england I know what i'm talking about. Snow always always occurs in November and is not rare at all so Ian brown using wise words is somewhat daft. But whatever you english ones assume whatever you like.

Infact we have already seen snow lying to 400m. So actually we have already seen snow in Nothern Ireland actually.

Edited by smithyweather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I said "enthusiasm" not attitude! The word actually twice in one sentence is a bit to much.

Just remember most here are here to help.

Posted

Of course but it does get a bit irritating when folk go on as if we are in the tropics and that snow in November is rare and practically impossible. I don't think me getting excited is a big risk because its normal for this time of the year and so I fully expect it to come in next 10 days.

Maybe its rare in southern england not here. We have already seen three frosts with -6c in katesbridge on two occasions. In NI, the temp difference between here and southern england has been quite large recently.

Edited by smithyweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Naturally, people will often post with bias to their location. There shouldn't be any "us and them" posts really, but people often get misinterpreted as doing just that.

Anyway, I for one am getting slightly excited at seeing some of the first cold patterns emerging for late autumn. I doubt I'll see anything noteworthy in the near future, but the prospect of some frosty mornings is enough for me to dip my feet into winter mode!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Snow is rare in January and February here, only being 10m asl doesn't help matters either. Saying that though, snow during the 70's and 80's was prefound,  3 or 4ft snow drifts wasn't out of the ordinary, how things have changed now though .. If snow does fall here, it melts the same day. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Well since i'm from northern ireland and you are from southern england I know what i'm talking about. Snow always always occurs in November and is not rare at all so Ian brown using wise words is somewhat daft. But whatever you english ones assume whatever you like.

Infact we have already seen snow lying to 400m. So actually we have already seen snow in Nothern Ireland actually.

From the Met Office regarding snow in Northern Ireland

'The number of days of snowfall and snow cover varies enormously from year to year. At many places in the last 50 years it has ranged from none at all in several winters to in excess of 30 days during the winters of 1962/63 and 1981/82'

The Met Office confirm that Northern Ireland doesn't get snow every year, let alone every November Posted Image

Edited by Barry95

Posted

What date does sea ice usually reach the north coast of NI? Mid December? Posted Image

They can't usually pin it down to a specific date.  The snow drifts and non-stop blizzards prevent them from getting to the coast that easily.

• Like 5

Posted

The trend is that all polar bears will go into hibernation earlier this year, But they can't pin it down to a specific date either Posted Image

Posted

Naturally, people will often post with bias to their location. There shouldn't be any "us and them" posts really, but people often get misinterpreted as doing just that.

Anyway, I for one am getting slightly excited at seeing some of the first cold patterns emerging for late autumn. I doubt I'll see anything noteworthy in the near future, but the prospect of some frosty mornings is enough for me to dip my feet into winter mode!

'us and them' regularly occurs in this forum.

From the Met Office regarding snow in Northern Ireland

'The number of days of snowfall and snow cover varies enormously from year to year. At many places in the last 50 years it has ranged from none at all in several winters to in excess of 30 days during the winters of 1962/63 and 1981/82'

The Met Office confirm that Northern Ireland doesn't get snow every year, let alone every November Posted Image

Yes that would be on the coast. I'd be surprised if there was ever a year that it hasn't snowed here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow blizzard

Hi all, I'm relatively new to all this. Some of you may know me from Twitter/Facebook so just saying Hi!

My thoughts on winter....

Cold end to November followed by a slight warm up at the start of December. Them mid December Temps will plummet and we will see copious amounts of snow and be shut in the freezer until Spring....

Wait was that a hopecast?

Haha maybe

What are everyone else thoughts?

JakeLeopold

• Like 3

Posted

People on the model thread are so misleading. Someone was all cold comes in earlier, so go and check and everything is downgraded. 

Ugh, some people. 

Edited by smithyweather

Posted

Welcome ...Jakehainton... Certainly didn't need glasses to read your post, Hopecast or not ....Like it Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe cold

i think people should stick to the topic at hand, THE WEATHER, an not pick on certain individuals, regardless of what they is happening in their area, unless of course you are there at the time, Posted Image , GROW UP, Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

People on the model thread are so misleading. Someone was all cold comes in earlier, so go and check and everything is downgraded. 

Ugh, some people. 

How can everything be downgraded when nothing is set in stone with reference the POSSIBLE cold snap ?

C.S

Posted

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2013/11/11/cairngorms-climber-dies-after-coire-an-t-sneachda-fall

RIP..

http://news.stv.tv/north/248046-cairngorm-mountain-welcomes-2000-guests-for-start-of-skiing-season/

"One of Scotland’s five ski centres welcomed over 2000 visitors for the first weekend of the skiing season as they opened the facility for theearliest in five years.

CairnGorm Mountain said they welcomed around 900 skiers and snowboarders over the two days as well as 1200 other guests to the visitor centre.

It was the earliest the ski centre has opened since 2008 and saw hundreds ofwinter sports fans turn up.

A spokesman for CairnGorm said they were the only of Scotland’s five ski centres to open.

He added: "We had great snow in the range and very good weather overhead throughout the weekend.

"We welcomed 900 skiers and snowboarders to the mountain and a further 1200 non-skiers to our visitor centre and Christmas market. It was the earliest we have opened the centre in five years and enjoyed a very successful first weekend.

"Temperatures have risen quite a bit overnight but we will continue to monitor the conditions throughout the week and hope to be opened again this weekend."

Skiing and snowboarding at CairnGorm, Glencoe, Glenshee, Nevis Range and The Lecht was estimated to have raised more than £29m for the economy last year."

Nice to see Ski resort to a nice start.

• Like 1

Posted

Sorry for the off topic-ness, but could anyone tell me if images can be re-sized on here? Or do I have to do it on p.c then upload it? 

Edited by andy989

Posted

Sorry for the off topic-ness, but could anyone tell me if images can be re-sized on here? Or do I have to do it on p.c then upload it? 

I'm only asking because I'm trying to post one to this thread, but when I do, Its MASSIVE. I know why its big, the resolution is 7000k +, wondering if there is a way of posting it a nice size without having to re-upload

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I'm only asking because I'm trying to post one to this thread, but when I do, Its MASSIVE. I know why its big, the resolution is 7000k +, wondering if there is a way of posting it a nice size without having to re-upload

This can downsize any photo to a size of your choice - http://postimg.org/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Hi, I'm new to all of this weather forecasting stuff, I'm only fourteen so.. Can someone explain this winters thoughts??? Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

Ugh, some people. 

I'm still at the beginning of a very steep learning curve, even though this is my third winter on here - but unless I'm missing something everything isn't downgraded at all - the trend is still looking reasonably good. 

You might need to try and step back a bit, and not examine every run (and people's reactions to it) in such detail, or you will be a nervous wreck by the time winter actually comes!

Nice to be back here again btw - I don't post often but I'm always here as the will it/won't it snow excitement builds (and then comes crashing down again....) There's nothing like it!

• Like 6