Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013-2014 Discussion- Part 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Yes certainly some of the later charts are showing promise today . just need some upgrades bit by bit each day untill they come into the more reliable range .but for now autumn is the king but knights in winter armour are on the way to do battle .what a tease ECM is, everything juicy as been at the end of its runs now for a while so will it start to firm up this weekend ,Fingers crossed .Posted Image Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Totally agree with you on that one Feb.....models have been showing tentative signs from time to time of a pattern change very much looming in FI...I think at the moment the models have been toying with different solutions , but something is almost certainly on the horizon... I also think that because heights are expected to rise in the very near future and they keep placing it in different areas... will it rise north up to Greenland, will it rise halfway up mid latitude and get flattened shortly after...will it rise over the uk and end up retrogressing to Greenland or sit over scandi is the million dollar question at this time....either way and whatever the solution, I feel the atlantic express will soon be on the tracks of the polar express..... tickets please Posted Image

Lets hope the headlines start ramping up soon and it turns into the Siberian express.

Posted

Some decent Murrmurings, model thread trending good, lets hope it starts to explode in the next couple of days.

The first roller coaster ride of Winter 2013/14?!

Posted

The first roller coaster ride of Winter 2013/14?!

hope so, I have my doubts of anything potent before xmas, strat just doesn't look like playing ball to me but at least some interest, which cannot be said a week ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Feeling a bit gloomy about the signals at the mo... but to cheer myself up I went and found a chart that shows it is possible to have a strong aleutian high alongside a East US trough and then a greenland high in our local blocking the pattern. It comes from the infamous 1963.

Posted Image

I will add, however, that the vortex was in a bit of a mess and totally depowered. So if the aleutian high is here to stay we really need something to happen in the strat if we are get something exciting happening. With the current wavelengths and that high pressure set to plant itself in situ in the northern pacific it looks like systems firing across the atlantic for a good while yet.

Where's that CW we could do with happening in the next 4 weeks!

Edited by Catacol_Highlander
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Lets hope the headlines start ramping up soon and it turns into the Siberian express.

Nooo. We can't let the daily express and daily mail onto it. That will jinx it ;)

Posted

Feeling a bit gloomy about the signals at the mo... but to cheer myself up I went and found a chart that shows it is possible to have a strong aleutian high alongside a East US trough and then a greenland high in our local blocking the pattern. It comes from the infamous 1963.

Posted Image

I will add, however, that the vortex was in a bit of a mess and totally depowered. So if the aleutian high is here to stay we really need something to happen in the strat if we are get something exciting happening. With the current wavelengths and that high pressure set to plant itself in situ in the northern pacific it looks like systems firing across the atlantic for a good while yet.

Where's that CW we could do with happening in the next 4 weeks!

As long as the Aleutian high keeps buckled meridional we have a chance.

Nooo. We can't let the daily express and daily mail onto it. That will jinx it Posted Image

Oi - I read both those papers,!!! although more because of my political beliefs rather than their meteorological prowess!!!

Posted

At least its starting to motor tonight anyway, taken its time but hopefully the blue touchpaper that is netweather winter thread will be firmly lit over the next 2 weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

At least its starting to motor tonight anyway, taken its time but hopefully the blue touchpaper that is netweather winter thread will be firmly lit over the next 2 weeks.

Agreed. Surprised at some of the very negative vibes in the model thread from some. Plenty of more positives over past few days. Slightly more encouraging. Job 1- Block the Atlantic off. Job 2- Mid Atlantic Ridge into Greenland after,Job 3- We need vortex to move towards SiberiaJob 4- Advection cold air towards us from the north or East. Here's to a good winter! Enjoy the ride
  • Like 1

Posted

Agreed. Surprised at some of the very negative vibes in the model thread from some. Plenty of more positives over past few days. Slightly more encouraging.Job 1- Block the Atlantic off.Job 2- Mid Atlantic Ridge into Greenland after,Job 3- We need vortex to move towards SiberiaJob 4- Advection cold air towards us from the north or East.Here's to a good winter! Enjoy the ride

Agreed but I still think we need the strat and other tc's to play ball for a sustained blast.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
Posted · Hidden by Buriedundersnow, November 8, 2013 - wrong chart
Hidden by Buriedundersnow, November 8, 2013 - wrong chart

nice to see the ECM was up the warm end of the ensembles for de bilt and some snow spikes showing up for there

post-18233-0-65261500-1383952113_thumb.p

Posted

both runs today the ECM has been one of the warmest of its ensembles towards the end of the run so must be some good runs in there

post-18233-0-25422600-1383952387_thumb.ppost-18233-0-85352000-1383952392_thumb.p

Posted

both runs today the ECM has been one of the warmest of its ensembles towards the end of the run so must be some good runs in there

Posted Imageresample_image.pngPosted Image2.png

Agreed but don't forget though that those are De Bilt and are more relevant when an Easterly is the preferred route but a Northerly is the most likely now.

Posted

Agreed but don't forget though that those are De Bilt and are more relevant when an Easterly is the preferred route but a Northerly is the most likely now.

doesn't much matter for me there both useless for where I am we need an ensemble for scotland

Posted

doesn't much matter for me there both useless for where I am we need an ensemble for Scotland

They are relevant though for a potential onset of an Easterly, as are any GEFS suites over on wetter for all places East of Britain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

northerlys are the best for me..either that are or a NNW Posted Image

Edited by Snowmadsam
  • Like 1

Posted

Yes you have been in agreement.If I remember correctly my assessment about 4 weeks ago for the period of latter October through November was 'Unsettled, potentially stormy then trending colder as we progress through November'. Well we got the storminess, just need to see the cold materialise now!Now, if we could see a Canadian warming ignite (as coolingclimate has alluded to) then we could steering on course for the projected -AO winter I think we'll see.

Good luck with the forecast CC. Will be a coup for you if it verifies.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Good luck with the forecast CC. Will be a coup for you if it verifies.

For sure. I think we need that Canadian Warming shoving the vortex over to Siberia and allowing height rises to our NW. Then we would indeed be in business.

Posted

GEFS ensemble has quite a few dropping down below -5

post-18233-0-70121200-1383957667_thumb.g

• Like 1

Posted

doesn't much matter for me there both useless for where I am we need an ensemble for scotland

There you go - not precise but it's for the centre of the central belt.

Posted Image

• Like 1