Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013-2014 Discussion- Part 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

GFS 18z would bring snow to parts of northern UK during mid November.

Yes but it wouldn't last very long, anyway scrub my last post completely, they aren't that good at all, the good thing about GFS and GEFS FI though, is you always know that tomorrow mornings another day and they change like the wind along with snow enthusiasts minds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Yes but it wouldn't last very long, anyway scrub my last post completely, they aren't that good at all, the good thing about GFS and GEFS FI though, is you always know that tomorrow mornings another day and they change like the wind along with snow enthusiasts minds.

Do you think you could keep this up for the entire winter then Posted Image

I would go mental so I will be sticking to within 7 days, whilst the ECM does go out to day 10, it's 8-10 day stuff has been as unreliable as the GFS at times.

Posted

You know winter isn't far away when.......... you actually dissect every GEFS member all the way through and look at every ECM postage stamp, view every NOAA H500 anomaly chart, and every ECM strat update at 7 in the morning, not quite doing all those things yet but not far off!

Do you think you could keep this up for the entire winter then Posted Image

I would go mental so I will be sticking to within 7 days, whilst the ECM does go out to day 10, it's 8-10 day stuff has been as unreliable as the GFS at times.

Well I did last year, and baring in mind last season lasted from Oct to April, its all come around so quick again, seems like the closed season only lasted a few months this year!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

You know Winter isn't far away when....

It's November 31st.

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 1

Posted

GFS 18z would bring snow to parts of northern UK during mid November.

Op an outlier in the timeframes it would bring wintry PPN anyway.

Posted

It was a short break this year. Saw some sleet in May so it was only 3 months without winter talk!

I think we forget that pre 2008 it was very rare to see any widespread snow before December. A typical winter will see the first wintry showers in. The north towards the end of November. I suspect this winter may be a more typical British winter. Hopefully still with a few good dumps of snow.

Posted

It was a short break this year. Saw some sleet in May so it was only 3 months without winter talk!I think we forget that pre 2008 it was very rare to see any widespread snow before December. A typical winter will see the first wintry showers in. The north towards the end of November. I suspect this winter may be a more typical British winter. Hopefully still with a few good dumps of snow.

You are obviously a young 'un!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Got a nice frost this morning and car all iced up.....not bad from a very inocuous set up

BFTP

Posted

You are obviously a young 'un!

31 so I'll take that as a compliment :) I know pre 90s snow was more common in November but in the last few years I think we have been a spoilt

Posted

......the date that doesn't exist ;-)

I failed there Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Accuweather going for a warmer than average winter for most of Europe with less snow for most areas

Much of Europe will experience drier and warmer-than-average conditions spanning December, January and February. Areas from the Mediterranean Sea to the Balkans will be much less stormy, when compared to last winter, but ample snow is forecast for the mountain venues of the XXII Olympic Winter Games.

Posted Image

The storm track affecting part of Europe during late October into early November will shift.

According to AccuWeather Europe Weather Expert Alan Reppert, "The main storm track will set up farther to the north and east than what we typically see during most of the winter and will have a significant effect on temperatures and precipitation."

Expected (Dec. Through Feb.) Snowfall for a Few Cities City Amount (Inches)

Moscow 40-50 (101.60cm to 127cm)

Berlin 3-6 (7.6cm to 15.24cm)

London 1-2 (2.5cm to 5.0cm)

Paris 1-2 (2.5cm to 5.0cm)

Rome 0

The wettest part of the winter for the United Kingdom and Ireland is likely to be later in January and February. "Even with a projected stormier end to the winter, rain and snow should be no more than average for the British Isles," Reppert stated.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/europe-winter-forecast-warmer/19131940

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

snow should be no more than average for the British Isles," Reppert stated.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/europe-winter-forecast-warmer/19131940

Looks like there going for an average UK winter then Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Accuweather going for a warmer than average winter for most of Europe with less snow for most areas

Much of Europe will experience drier and warmer-than-average conditions spanning December, January and February. Areas from the Mediterranean Sea to the Balkans will be much less stormy, when compared to last winter, but ample snow is forecast for the mountain venues of the XXII Olympic Winter Games.

Posted Image

The storm track affecting part of Europe during late October into early November will shift.

According to AccuWeather Europe Weather Expert Alan Reppert, "The main storm track will set up farther to the north and east than what we typically see during most of the winter and will have a significant effect on temperatures and precipitation."

Rome 0

The wettest part of the winter for the United Kingdom and Ireland is likely to be later in January and February. "Even with a projected stormier end to the winter, rain and snow should be no more than average for the British Isles," Reppert stated.

That reads like record breaking winter warmth with those snowfall totals for cities. Anyway, those snowfall predictions are absolutely pathetic and not based on any science what so ever......just a guess.

Edited by MPG
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Posted Image

Rome 0

Funny that. I'm expecting the most severely cold spell of the winter to occur 2nd half of January. Couldn't disagree with this forecast more tbh. We'll see.

P.s current CFS run spectacularly blocked December through to April.

Can't stop! On my dinner break!

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Posted Image

Rome 0

that just looks like a bog standard west QBO forecast they have put out plus they are calling for wetter January and February is that not when we are most likely looking at an SSW this year.

if its progging 1-2 inches for London then we are likely to see more snow up here so maybe 4-6 inches here.

• Like 2

Posted

4-6 inches is absolutely nothing. For a good winter your looking at 30 inches.

4-6 inches is still better than a huge kick in the teeth though

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

4-6 inches is still better than a huge kick in the teeth though

Don't worry. I think you'll be getting more than 4-6 inches!

• Like 2

Posted

to add to what CREWECOLD was saying about CFS heres the 12z winter charts

sea level pressure anomalies

post-18233-0-05506300-1383144242_thumb.ppost-18233-0-81210900-1383144247_thumb.ppost-18233-0-67386800-1383144253_thumb.ppost-18233-0-67102900-1383144259_thumb.p

temp anomalies

post-18233-0-29750300-1383144336_thumb.ppost-18233-0-73773700-1383144343_thumb.ppost-18233-0-75685600-1383144359_thumb.ppost-18233-0-02581300-1383144367_thumb.p

temp anomalies don't look as cold as the charts do I would think the temps would be a little lower

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

For those that want to compare auucweather's winter forecasts here is the 2012 / 2013 one

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/europe-winter-forecast-2012-2013/961001

And the 2011 / 2012 one

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/winter-forecast-europe/56653

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

For those that want to compare auucweather's winter forecasts here is the 2012 / 2013 one

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/europe-winter-forecast-2012-2013/961001

And the 2011 / 2012 one

i think over all it is going to be a stormy average to above average across the whole winter.

certainly a totally different set up this year.

• Like 1

Posted

And the 2011 / 2012 one

I think we should all pitch in to send u to Australia for the winter months Posted Image

your too much of a buzz kill Posted Image lol

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

LRF,s made this early showing defined areas with defined outcomes,...most always end with egg/eggs on ones face...I know whom I'm hedging my bets with this season...