Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Autumn Regional Discussion 28/10/13 -------->

Snowangel-MK

Posted

gfs 12z - status quo high res - more rain - some wind - colder very occasionally with wintriness - but nothing outstanding I'm afraid

Posted

Wow some serious gusts and heavy rain just arrived ! 6.2mm rain all day to 7.8 in 10 mins !

Posted

Ecm 12z offering more in the way of blocking - certainly more chance of cold from that model today

wind is now picking up again and more squally rain fronts moving into Wales from the west on radar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

I think the coldest month of this winter will be March, CFS constantly since September showing that month to be the coldest!

Posted

Follow the incoming swell-

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/United_Kingdom.shtml

14ft on Pembroke Bouy, atm.

39ft(!) on K2, SW of Ireland.

I think these're average heights over an hour so there'll probably be bigger swell within those figures.

As a marker, the Pembroke Bouy maxed-out at 28ft in the storm at the end of last week and 30ft during the storm at the end of October.

As a rule of thumb, actual waves heights on the beaches in S.Pembs are generally: Freshwest 2/3rds of bouy height, Manobier 1/2 bouy height and Tenby Southbeach 1/5th bouy height (although there are exceptions to these).

Webcams:

http://www.gowerlive.co.uk/

Blowy here overnight, but not exceptional.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

People are being urged to leave their homes in Aberystwyth as the coast of Wales is at risk of flooding with strong winds and more rain forecast.

A full evacuation of all seafront student accommodation in the town is under way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I hope things in Aberystwyth have calmed down by the time I go back at the end of the month for university! Luckily my house is up by campus not on the seafront!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

This "winter" is turning out to be the worst kind of relentless autumnal wet windy crap. An unflushable turd of a season.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Have downloaded plans to build an ark.....

However, prefer unrelenting rain to minus big number temps and snow in the US and Canada. 

• Like 2

Posted

This "winter" is turning out to be the worst kind of relentless autumnal wet windy crap. An unflushable turd of a season.

Like 1988 except than was much much milder.Shocking afternoon today very heavy shower and strong winds followed by stinging driving hailstorms,I`m glad I wasn`t out in the middle of a field as if I would be, seeing the dark clouds incoming. Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Like 1988 except than was much much milder.Shocking afternoon today very heavy shower and strong winds followed by stinging driving hailstorms,I`m glad I wasn`t out in the middle of a field as if I would be, seeing the dark clouds incoming.

Being in the middle of a field would be unwise....you'd sink!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Posted Image Best place in the WorldPosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

post-6830-0-87336300-1389039453_thumb.jp

Posted

Andy any sign of that cold weather USA having coming our way

Sadly it's a myth that cold weather comes from the USA to the UK - there's a big warm ocean between us so any cold air that leaves the USA in our direction is warm by the time it reaches us. For us in the UK to have cold weather, the air has to originate from the north or east. There are some hints in the models that the endless train of wet and windy weather could come to an end in a week or so, and some colder solutions are possible. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Sadly it's a myth that cold weather comes from the USA to the UK - there's a big warm ocean between us so any cold air that leaves the USA in our direction is warm by the time it reaches us. For us in the UK to have cold weather, the air has to originate from the north or east. There are some hints in the models that the endless train of wet and windy weather could come to an end in a week or so, and some colder solutions are possible. 

Although I dont agree with 'When the weather is cold in the US, it will be in the UK', you can see why some people may believe in the expression.

For deep cold in the US you need a low to run up the E side of the US, bringing colder air from the north (via NW/N winds). The only way a low pressure system can take this track, is if there is a ridge in the Atlantic (like there is now), If this ridge develops correctly it will bring cold to the UK.

Posted Image

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

One crazy thunderstorm going on here

• Like 2

Posted

Andy any sign of that cold weather USA having coming our way

we could hope that it does - but there's no straight connection between us and them - I used to believe what they got we'd get 2 weeks later - but it doesn't quite work like that unfortunately - We have to build our own pattern from the north or east/north east to get lasting cold - in general - as we all know - the weather has a way of balancing itself out - so, after all this wind and rain we've had, we should now start to see a change to drier - and hopefully cooler/colder conditions - there are signs now of blocking on all the models - let's hope the set ups become favourable for our cold and snow!

Posted

Thunder / lightning on and off between 1:30 and 4am, mostly fairly distant here but sounded like somewhere S or E of us was getting pummelled - perhaps that was your storm in Swansea!

Posted

more of the wet stuff

Yellow Warning of Rain for Wales : Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire, Powys, Neath Port Talbot, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Swansea, Bridgend, Merthyr Tydfil, Vale of Glamorgan, Cardiff, Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Newport & Torfaen valid from 1200 Wed 08 Jan to 0900 Thu 09 Jan

Posted

More stinking crap from the winter thats done nothing but stink the place out. Jeez I cant wait for Spring to come.