Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Autumn Regional Discussion 28/10/13 -------->

Snowangel-MK

Posted

seems to have calmed down now in pontypool look like the worst is over

Look what"s approaching from the S West http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/he/he_latest_radar.html

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

Interesting chart, and under a week away. I don't pretend to be a chart expert but with cold building to our North that little low would bring snow to Wales, surely?

Posted Image

Posted

Need some cold dudes. When are we looking at some significant sustained cold periods. This weather is extremely autumn like.

My gritters are feeling lonely,

unused, worthless, they want to be in action. So do I !!! Anyone got any good news for us cold lovers.... P.s... I don't want snow - just lovely minus figures. Single figures in the day and minus at night!

Anyone got any good news on this?

Merry Christmas and a happy new year from the welsh Gritter!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

I think most low level places tomorrow will see hail with snow confined to high ground..

Posted

Need some cold dudes. When are we looking at some significant sustained cold periods. This weather is extremely autumn like.

My gritters are feeling lonely,

unused, worthless, they want to be in action. So do I !!! Anyone got any good news for us cold lovers.... P.s... I don't want snow - just lovely minus figures. Single figures in the day and minus at night!

Anyone got any good news on this?

Merry Christmas and a happy new year from the welsh Gritter!!

signs of pattern change to possibly something colder come the new year into Jan - nothing firm yet though!

MERRY XMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AS WELL Welshgritter and to all in Wales on netweather!

radar is looking full of the wet stuff again tonight approaching from the south west!

Euro 4 White XMAS - Beacons/Snowdonia and Mid/North Wales

Posted Image

Nae prefers to go with this

Posted Image

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

Posted

One bloody snowflake on Cardiff to win a few bob not asking much weather GodsPosted Image

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

One bloody snowflake on Cardiff to win a few bob not asking much weather GodsPosted Image

Time to change the name to keithUNlucky?Posted Image

Posted

keith you might get lucky yet

Posted Image

nasty looking squall line heading for Cardiff on radar now!

winds picking up again down south - Plymouth registering 70mph again!!!!!!!!!! - and on there way up to us

nae looking a little better for us for tomorrow afternoon

Posted Image

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Almost an inch of rain here today and rain rate up 19mm per hour right now.

Record low for me 970.6hPa and still dropping

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

It was blowing a hoolie this morning. I heard on the radio that the record for the highest gust for Wales was broken today with an 87mph gust at Capel Curig..

"The spokesman for the Met Office said a new wind speed high had been recorded at Capel Curig in Conwy, North Wales, with gusts blowing at 87mph."

http://news.sky.com/story/1186299/weather-two-die-as-storm-batters-country

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wl/capel_curig_latest_weather_graphs.html

Edited by kar999

Posted

Glad of the 3 hour respite between rainbands. If the second had caught up witht the first then judge for yourself what could have happened tonight.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Squall line heading straight for Cardiff and Newport, wind absolutely howling here, stronger than at any time during the day.

I have a feeling this is going to get worse before it gets better.

Posted

Interesting chart, and under a week away. I don't pretend to be a chart expert but with cold building to our North that little low would bring snow to Wales, surely?

Posted Image

Yes that chart looks like it would potentially bring snow, so long as the front would get far enough north. Not convinced that it's a likely solution, but we can live in hope.

I don't think it's impossible - the ECM in particular seems keen to develop a little feature along the channel which could just induce a bit of wintriness on the northern flank. Heavy showers, evaporative cooling and hefty dose of luck and there might just be a flake - as you say it only takes one to win the bet.

Almost an inch of rain here today and rain rate up 19mm per hour right now.

Record low for me 970.6hPa and still dropping

Yes same here 969.3 currently, is a record for me.

Rain has eased down here after being heavy an hour or so. Rainfall here probably close to an inch, a lot more than sea level. Wind is not as bad as earlier, but hardly calm.

With Regard to Snow on Christmas Day, if we were talking lying snow in Cardiff, I'd say forgot it, but to get one flake that is more than possible, we have probably had one or two flakes here in recent days, in among the rain and hail showers.

Current Odds 6/1.

Edited by J10

Posted

gfs 18z repeating the same FI trend now

Posted Image

Posted Image

you'll get your cold and snow yet welshgritter if this scenario keeps developing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gust of 75mph recorded now at Mumbles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

Rain has eased down here after being heavy an hour or so. Rainfall here probably close to an inch, a lot more than sea level. Wind is not as bad as earlier, but hardly calm.

With Regard to Snow on Christmas Day, if we were talking lying snow in Cardiff, I'd say forgot it, but to get one flake that is more than possible, we have probably had one or two flakes here in recent days, in among the rain and hail showers.

Current Odds 6/1.

Obviously going by Andy's comment I was wrong about the wind being lighter.

Posted

Obviously going by Andy's comment I was wrong about the wind being lighter.

impressive rain totals across the UK by tomorrow the all of UK covered by moderate to-heavy rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Further periods of rain this evening. The wind is howling with recent gusts of up to 75mph which are quite dangerous gusts!

Posted

Hi guys i thought the wind was going to drop and go away, well its pretty ruff out there right now. i would say its worse than today right now. was this predicted for tonight? and how much longer is this wind going on for as you can tell i hate the wind.

Posted

Posted Image

Yes let"s see if the trend continues 30 the 31st of December looks  wintry Posted Image

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

It was blowing a hoolie this morning. I heard on the radio that the record for the highest gust for Wales was broken today with an 87mph gust at Cplace! windy apel Curig..

"The spokesman for the Met Office said a new wind speed high had been recorded at Capel Curig in Conwy, North Wales, with gusts blowing at 87mph."

http://news.sky.com/story/1186299/weather-two-die-as-storm-batters-country

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wl/capel_curig_latest_weather_graphs.html

Pretty sure they have had higher speeds before, a few years back they had over 90mph. It is an extremely windy place.

45mm rain here on Monday to midnight, pressure down to 967mbar.

Edited by TonyH

impressive rain totals across the UK by tomorrow the all of UK covered by moderate to-heavy rain.

Tomorrow looks a good deal drier.

About an inch here today going by radar, less on the coast (14mm at Mumbles) which ties in with accumulated radar, a lot more inland, over 75mm in places.

Edited by J10

Posted

Capel Curig has had much worse before including Jan 2007:

15th to 21st: Again it was a very wet and windy period with bands of heavy rain and strong to gale-force westerly winds with a period of severe gales on the 18th. Exceptional gusts on the 18th led to disruption with gust speeds reaching 100 m.p.h. at Capel Curig, 90 m.p.h. at Lake Vyrnwy, 81 m.p.h. at Rhyl and 76 m.p.h. at Swansea.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2007/january.html