Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Autumn Regional Discussion 28/10/13 -------->

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Has a heavy sleet shower more wet snow in the end here about 45 minutes a go huge splatters of ice against the window. Hearing similar reports from down the valley in Ammanford which hasn't got a lot of altitude around 50-90m absl.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Very heavy rain started at 0600 already 16mm in the gauge, strongest gust so far 47mph.

Posted

Hi all lets hope this wind does not get much worse Its very windy right now not sure of speed but its enough ha ha, any idea what time the worst is supposed to come into us in south wales? would rather be at home than out in it if possible. merry xmas everyone as well lets hope we get some nice cold crisp days before long.

Hi all lets hope this wind does not get much worse Its very windy right now not sure of speed but its enough ha ha, any idea what time the worst is supposed to come into us in south wales? would rather be at home than out in it if possible. merry xmas everyone as well lets hope we get some nice cold crisp days before long.

Latest wind speeds

Stations: 13 Gusts Pembrey Burrows (6 m) 66 mph Milford Haven (32 m) 66 mph Aberdaron (94 m) 66 mph Valley (10 m) 62 mph Aberporth (134 m) 61 mph Mumbles (32 m) 60 mph Capel Curig (215 m) 58 mph Trawscoed (62 m) 47 mph Raf Mona (62 m) 47 mph Lake Vyrnwy (359 m) 42 mph St Athan (49 m) 40 mph Sennybridge (307 m) 39 mph Cardiff Airport (67 m) 35 mph

In terms of wind the worst is expected this morning, probably peaking at around 10-11am in western areas, 11-12am further east. Still very windy across Wales at this time.

By around 1pm winds should start dropping back considerably from the west, staying quite breezy though for most of the day.

I would expect those gusts to reach 70mph in some areas by close of morning, perhaps approaching 80mph.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted

Today's storm is pretty brutal and could do some damage in west wales, but Friday's is potentially much worse.

Posted Image

Mean wind speeds of 60mph in exposed coastal areas, which is very strong indeed, gusts could be considerably more than that.

Posted

some wind speed gusts now topping over 70mph - latest euro 4 for xmas eve

Posted Image

even a little from the nae on xmas morning

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Today's storm is pretty brutal and could do some damage in west wales, but Friday's is potentially much worse.

Posted Image

Mean wind speeds of 60mph in exposed coastal areas, which is very strong indeed, gusts could be considerably more than that.

I hope not as next door roof on their stables has just been damaged with the side being ripped off and its flapping and rising with every gust.

some wind speed gusts now topping over 70mph - latest euro 4 for xmas eve

Posted Image

even a little from the nae on xmas morning

Posted Image

looks like the beacons may have a dusting.

Stations: 14 Gusts Capel Curig (215 m) 75 mph Pembrey Burrows (6 m) 71 mph Aberdaron (94 m) 71 mph Mumbles (32 m) 68 mph Milford Haven (32 m) 66 mph Aberporth (134 m)

66 mph Valley (10 m) 62 mph Raf Mona (62 m) 61 mph Sennybridge (307 m) 54 mph Trawscoed (62 m) 47 mph Lake Vyrnwy (359 m) 45 mph St Athan (49 m) 42 mph Rhyl (76 m) 38 mph Cardiff Airport (67 m) 35 mph

Latest Wind Speeds

Edited by J10
  • Like 2

Posted

Wind speeds increasing dramatically here over the last hour or so.

The latest radar seems to show the rain easing ever so slightly over South Wales, but what's brewing over SW England looks very nasty. Is this storm moving East or Northeast?

There's a part of me which finds these intense Atlantic storms very exciting, but being prone to flooding as we are (we got badly flooded in June 2009), they also make me a little edgy.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Wind speeds increasing dramatically here over the last hour or so.

The latest radar seems to show the rain easing ever so slightly over South Wales, but what's brewing over SW England looks very nasty. Is this storm moving East or Northeast?

There's a part of me which finds these intense Atlantic storms very exciting, but being prone to flooding as we are (we got badly flooded in June 2009), they also make me a little edgy.

Not meaning to have a go at you personally here but what in God's name is "exciting" about it? What redeeming features does this weather type bring to the table? Let's see now...flooding....structural damage.......and the biggie...potential fatalities for any poor souls who happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time through no fault of their own.....just whats needed at Christmas time eh? Posted ImagePosted Image

Yeah Im not a fan at all of this kind of weather....stems from when I worked for Manweb/Scottish Power during the Christmas storms in 1997, so was witness to the misery that was inflicted on many thousands of people whose Christmases were totally ruined by power cuts caused by the severe winds.

Posted

Forgive me, I can see your point.

That said, are we similarly selfish to find snow exciting given the potential chaos it can bring? And are the stormchasers, some from this very forum, who travel to the US to hunt tornadoes selfish for finding fun in something that can bring immense loss of life? It's a moral grey area.

• Like 9

Posted

Not meaning to have a go at you personally here but what in God's name is "exciting" about it? What redeeming features does this weather type bring to the table? Let's see now...flooding....structural damage.......and the biggie...potential fatalities for any poor souls who happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time through no fault of their own.....just whats needed at Christmas time eh? Posted ImagePosted Image

Yeah Im not a fan at all of this kind of weather....stems from when I worked for Manweb/Scottish Power during the Christmas storms in 1997, so was witness to the misery that was inflicted on many thousands of people whose Christmases were totally ruined by power cuts caused by the severe winds.

I find it exciting too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

does anybody want to take my dog for a walk for me today?.........................ANY1????

will be glad when this weather has passed and we can hopefully have a few days of dryish weather before we take another battering Friday!

Posted

bbc just showed a brief snow event  for Swansea area tomorrow morning......taking kids to see Santa then, so that would be lovely..... bet it turns out to be horizontal freezing rain though!

Posted

alert in already for friday's storm from the meto

Yellow Alert of Wind for Wales : Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Isle of Anglesey, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Neath Port Talbot, Newport, Pembrokeshire, Powys, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Swansea, Torfaen, Vale of Glamorgan & Wrexham valid from 0005 Fri 27 Dec to 2359 Fri 27 Dec
  • Like 1

Posted

Interesting developments showing in early January. The Jet is currently taking a Southern route and with blocking building to our North, we could be in a favourable position. I think we're only too aware of the results if today and Friday's storms hit with a stubborn Northern block in place.

bbc just showed a brief snow event  for Swansea area tomorrow morning......taking kids to see Santa then, so that would be lovely..... bet it turns out to be horizontal freezing rain though!

We have had a lot of hail in recent days, that is more likely IMO.

Interesting developments showing in early January. The Jet is currently taking a Southern route and with blocking building to our North, we could be in a favourable position. I think we're only too aware of the results if today and Friday's storms hit with a stubborn Northern block in place.

Imagine it today's rain was snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Have to say that for my area this storm hasn't been that bad! Had some heavy rain which has now stopped and its been windy but nothing too bad, seems we missed the worst of it!

• Like 2

Posted

Have to say that for my area this storm hasn't been that bad! Had some heavy rain which has now stopped and its been windy but nothing too bad, seems we missed the worst of it!

Wait another storm is on its way tonight!

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

gfs 12z pulls the storm for friday further north on this run - usual pattern for gfs coming up I think! - phew!

edit:- gfs throws in another mini storm for us on the 29th too now

Edited by andymusic

Posted

The flooding in this area is mad. Road between Beaufort road sirhowy and hollybush closed because of flooding. Ebbw vale just as bad apparently.