Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 28/10/13 ------

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Ian Fergusson Re snow threat for next week:

Parts of Scotland (obviously) where 10-20cm possible with blizzards & drifting. Current modelling also highlights parts NI; down western fringes of England & Wales (eg few cm possible SW Moors). Snow just periodically grazing eastern coastal districts. Ops Centre note (in briefing issued late this morning) most inland/central areas of England from Scottish border S should stay dry & clear, including (thankfully) populous SE. The vexed issue of polar low development (and yes, the Chief Forecaster specifically describes it as such, with EC Dalmatian plot to illustrate possibilities) running down N Sea is critical to potential surge threat in the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Isn't looking good for snow anywhere other than Scotland according to BBC update

Yep still early yet but Scotland looks the main focus for the snow up to Friday currently, Friday for this region looks sunny, cold and windy after a wet day on Thursday

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Its a bit of a joke in that mod thread today

Anyway a cold fri/sat coming and to be honest at this time of the year its rare we get really cold weather except of course 2009 and 2010

dont know what people want 12/16 weeks of snowfall which of course is never going to happen,

I for one love cold/snow but people need to be realistic,

Posted Image

Fri is defo the coldest day with us under -8/-10 uppers but the continued dry theme looks to continue 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 70 degree's in the summer, snow in the winter

I read the mod thread but it drive me nuts.

1). A great snowy chart but at plus 10 days is to be disregarded as FI

2). Charts showing no snow potential at Plus ten days are to be regarded as spot on and the rest of the month is written off

3) a snowy chart at five days and everyone is delighted

4) very next model run and snow is now not a done deal. People despair, models only get worse and before you know it it will be zonal mush.

Looking forward to a bit of cold

• Like 3

Posted

I posted a few days ago in the mod thread that I thought this Northerly would end up being a Scotland only affair and that's what it is currently looking like. Should never get our hopes up it happens every year.

Edited by Snowmaggedon
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

I posted a few days ago in the mid thread that I thought this Northerly would end up being a Scotland only affair and that's what it is currently looking like. Should never get our hopes up it happens every year.

but the ecm is now showing an easterly at the end of the run Posted Image also the jma was a good run tonight for our region this cold snap lasts abit longer and at the end of the run that too starts to show an easterly

Posted Image

And the JMA is respected by the met office i believe 

Edited by Boro Snow

Posted

but the ecm is now showing an easterly at the end of the run Posted Image also the jma was a good run tonight for our region this cold snap lasts abit longer and at the end of the run that too starts to show an easterly

Posted Image

And the JMA is respected by the met office i believe 

Once again though its in the far reaches of FI look at how the spell for the end of the week has gradually watered down, hopefully those in the MOD thread will take extreme caution till any further spells are down to t120 and lower

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

Once again though its in the far reaches of FI look at how the spell for the end of the week has gradually watered down, hopefully those in the MOD thread will take extreme caution till any further spells are down to t120 and lower

absolutely i couldnt agree more it was more tongue in cheek

96 hours and below for me even then things can still really change

• Like 1

Posted

Latest text update from the met office for the region

Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:

Thursday very windy with gales and a spell of rain. Coastal wintry showers follow, these dying away Friday leaving a cold, increasingly sunny day. Saturday becoming milder with occasional rain.

Posted

ECM shows temperatures rising rapidly for Darlington through the weekend after a cold day on Friday

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

Erm i think its going to be breezy

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

well on the latest GFS 18z the cold uppers come into our region at 48

Posted Image

But are gone by 66

Posted Image

so thats 18 hours wow Posted Image

Edited by Boro Snow

Posted

Looks like a squall line crossing the region during the morning rush hour,so probably the strongest gusts just ahead of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy

OMG!!! It's wild!!!!!!!

Posted

Yes defo a tad blowy out there, 50/60 mph gusts I would guess at, patio furniture and bins all over the back garden grrrrrrrrrr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy

Gonna take dog out soon can't wait!! I live in very open countryside so getting the full blast!!! Typically it's bin day today too

Posted

Radio says durham fell had 104mph gust. Where is durham fell? Not heard of it

Posted

I was just thinking it was easing then another 66mph gust rolled the dog kennel over and wrecked it!She doesn't use it though so may be a blessing as it was getting ratty.

The rain band has got a bit of speed on now and will soon be through.Still nothing recorded here but there are  few spots in the wind.

Posted

Worst of the wind seems to have passed here now. No gusts over 50mph for half an hour now