Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 28/10/13 ------

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting!

I have no way of measuring but the wind here in dl5 is howling. I'm originally from the north coast of Ireland so I'm not easily impressed - this has def got me checking the forecast and watching out the window. It's been very windy here since about 3pm. Steadily worse until now. Def making me homesick lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Wind howling now in Peterlee. I bet a few people are missing a roof tile or two by morning

• Like 1

Posted

Windows rattling here now,so must be getting close to 60 mph gusts,along with driving sleet.

35-40mph gusts here in my back garden. It's relatively sheltered and the anemometer is not nearly high enough, so you can add about 10mph to that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Some hefty gusts coming in now but nothing worrying.  Definite increase in wind speeds..

Posted

Just lost the second palm tree this year... that said, they were both dead - killed in the 2010 freeze - and rotting at the base, so it's hardly surprising. Only question now is what to do with the clematis that was growing up them!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

73mph here a few mins ago , 85mph in loftus just been confirmed by the met office, lights flickering aswell

Posted

Hopefully not speaking too soon, but I am seeing so many more benefits to living in the NE! We are generally sheltered from the worst of the winds and rain that come from the Atlantic, being a hilly and high-ish region there are many parts that are not susceptible to serious flooding, and we get more snow than other regions of England.

We do get some severe gales for being on this side of the Pennines as the winds get funnelled up the hills and send strong gusts downwards hence the term gusty winds to the 'lee' of high ground(e.g North East England) however from experience, the lower ground winds need to be Westerly or WNW'ly for this to occur, not sure why, its just going from experience! This can actually help create a set up where its cloudy in Cumbria but broken cloud and sunshine in the NE, especially in the winter/spring months! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Hopefully not speaking too soon, but I am seeing so many more benefits to living in the NE! We are generally sheltered from the worst of the winds and rain that come from the Atlantic, being a hilly and high-ish region there are many parts that are not susceptible to serious flooding, and we get more snow than other regions of England.

lol Good point but I like a bit of extreme weather- to be fair so far here is completely nondescript.  Winds are picking up but nothing unusual....yet 

I have a love-hate relationship with strong winds- I like to go outside and feel the power of the wind and take in the power of nature, but at the same time, I feel that the "diminishing returns" element is much greater than with snow and/or convection-related excitement, i.e. danger increases more sharply as the weather gets more dramatic.  I was wary of going out into the wind for long in North Yorkshire earlier tonight due to the numerous twigs and occasional roof tiles blowing across in mid-air.

The one that always annoyed me was being told how lucky we were on the Tyneside coast to escape convective type weather, especially on those summer days when most other parts of the country got sunshine mixed with heavy thundery downpours and the North Sea coast had sea fog and temperatures several degrees lower.  In the Thirsk/Northallerton area we are sheltered to a certain extent but showers tend to make it over the Pennines more easily here, and we don't get the tempering effects of the North Sea in summer.

Reports from Newcastle Airport suggest that your strongest winds came in during the past hour, though I think your region is being less heavily hit on the whole than Yorkshire.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

WOW great dun fell just recorded a wind speed of 113mph

Edited by Boro Snow
  • Like 1

Posted

the wind seems to be dying down a little gusts in the low 50s at the mo 

edit............ wind picking up again just had 2 gusts 67 and 69 mph

Edited by Boro Snow

Posted

We do get some severe gales for being on this side of the Pennines as the winds get funnelled up the hills and send strong gusts downwards hence the term gusty winds to the 'lee' of high ground(e.g North East England) however from experience, the lower ground winds need to be Westerly or WNW'ly for this to occur, not sure why, its just going from experience! This can actually help create a set up where its cloudy in Cumbria but broken cloud and sunshine in the NE, especially in the winter/spring months! 

Good point, and that can also create a Foehn effect especially at this time of year with localised much warmer conditions on the downslope.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Just me whos sick of rain and hill snow? Id rather it be mild with rain instead of been that couple of degrees on the wrong side for snow for us on low ground for me its a constant tease knowing few 100m up is white...

Posted

Sleet hail and rain on that school run

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

wet wet wet roll on summer

Posted

Sleety snow here but it seems to be through already with no accumulation at our level.Wind is gusting to 43mph and feels really cold at 2.9C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Had sleet in the rain this afternoon/evening.

The fact we've had wintriness in an Atlantic driven weather pattern has surprised me and the covering of snow we had the other night has restored my faith that snow can fall and settle in Newcastle from a Westerly direction!

Strange old winter, even if not the one we'd hoped for.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Some late afternoon brightness starting to appear over Darlo now tomorrow looks a lovely day for the region with wall to wall sunshine and temperatures around 6c to 8c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Well the outside chance of a shower developing in darlo has arrived

Hopefully the blue sky will be back soon I have work to do outside hate getting half way through a job then getting stopped by a rouge shower Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun