Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Monday's storm - into Europe.

Coast

Posted

For parts of the SW this was a non-event. My weather station recorded a max gust of 36.9mph overnight. I double checked that with an online station in Taunton that recorded a max gust of 40.1mph. So really nothing whatsoever of interest.We were clearly near the eye in some form or other, and fascinatingly my station recorded an average wind speed of 0.3mph from 2200 to midnight last night with the wind direction from the east. This was the period of calm that some in Somerset were posting about. Amazing that the IOW could be receiving a battering when at the same time we were becalmed over here.

So I guess IMBY it was an "interesting" non-event showing that localised effects can vary hugely.

Even closer than the IOW was getting a battering. I live a few miles from Yeovilton which recorded a gust of 77mph and I can confirm the winds were incredibly strong. I've just been outside fixing guttering and air vents that had got blown out, trying to salvage the parts of my gas bbq strewn across the lawn, locating my anemometer that got ripped from the shed roof and failing to find part of the shed roof- who knows where that ended up. The noise from the wind at about 4:30 woke me- it was so loud! But the worst only lasted for maybe 4 or 5 minutes with the very very worst probably less than a minute.

• Like 1

Posted

Picking up something John Holmes said, a brilliant performance by the GFS which was the first to spot the downgrade. It has still been an event, just not on quite the dire scale that previous runs had forecast.

You may not like it, but the GFS remains the Gold Standard.

WIB you remain a comic, the 18z success is probably the first for some time for any of its runs, take a look at how well it is doing on the NOAA site for checks?

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS/html/new_acz6.html

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 1

Posted

Picking up something John Holmes said, a brilliant performance by the GFS which was the first to spot the downgrade. It has still been an event, just not on quite the dire scale that previous runs had forecast.

More a case of lucky timing from the GFS.

Posted

That of course is a matter of opinion and not one shared by me. I'm glad it was downgraded to F11 in the Channel and North Sea. The seamen will be eternally grateful. Not forgetting 100mph gusts on the Isle of White.

100 mph? Which station?

Posted

Well, have woken up to some interesting news this morning, seems it was quite bad for some.

Shame on anyone who criticised the Met Office, said they had called it wrong and claiming that this was a non event before it had even arrived. Shame on anyone criticising the rail companies for cancelling, with so many trees down on the network, you can only imagine the potential for some kind of accident if they hadn't.

And to think that this all came from nothing more than a minor 'disturbance' thousands of miles away. It still amazes me how they can predict such an event from something many would see as so inconspicuous.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Highest gusts so far is just under 100mph

Gusts of 99mph have been recorded at the Needles on the Isle of Wight, according to the Met Office, while the Environment Agency has put in place 16 flood warnings and 133 flood alerts.

Winds have topped 80mph along southern coastal areas, becoming turbulent inland also reaching 75mph in Yeovilton in Somerset and 79mph at Andrewsfield in Essex.

And we can now see why trains got cancelled yesterday

http://media.skynews.com/media/images/generated/2013/10/28/267313/default/v2/tree-on-train-lines-1-522x293.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Was confirmed from the official Met Office

93.15mph recorded at 02;00am

However another recording may of been confirmed after that

What summer Sun just said :)

Edited by Cyclonic

Posted

The Needles Old Battery is like having a recording station over the sea at an elevation. It is not representative of surface conditions and is totally exposed. This is widely known and has been discussed before.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

77 mph winds recorded here earlier this morning around half five, it woke everyone up, the roaring noise was so loud, the wind leaving several long branches stripped off the trees in our back garden

Posted

The Needles Old Battery is like having a recording station over the sea at an elevation. It is not representative of surface conditions and is totally exposed. This is widely known and has been discussed before.

Don't let a fact like that get in the way of a good news story! Edited by Su Campu
  • Like 1

Posted

Appears a lot of trees down and some disruption in the south. The system did give some strong gusts to coastal locations and was at it's peak just before it cleared.

The most notable gust for me is the 70mph at Heathrow airport, which is a genuine inland station and is representative to the extreme that 99% experienced. A decent blow especially with most tree's still in leaf.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Yes GFS has done well in not deepening the low too much from the outset as it crossed the UK, though I think UKMO GM has done a good job at picking up and handling this low too.

ECWF, however, has been poor for a change - not picking up the low intiially then going coming in with rather deep feature over the UK that deepened too quickly.

Been very interesting watching this unfold.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

It was fairly bad in Chelmsford earlier this morning, with quite a few large branches off trees strewn across footpaths and some of the minor roads. Some house without power and no trains up to Liverpool Street until midday at the earliest and even then according to Greater Anglia it will be a very restricted service. I am working from my company's Chelmsford office this morning but hope to make it up to my office in Euston this afternoon.

Parkway near the Army and Navy Roundabout closed due to part of the roof of the Premier Inn (no more than 4 years old) has become detatched and there is insulation everwhere.

Although the damage is somewhat more localised than originally envisaged it is nonetheless extensive in those areas that have been affected by the worst of the conditions.

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

First Capital connect have just announced  they have cancelled all trains for today whether this changes later today who knows but as of 09:46 no FCC services will run until tomorrow morning at the earliest

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Top 5 gusts at 09:00 GMT: Wattisham, Suffolk, 76mph; Walton-on-Naze, Essex, 63mph; Manston, Kent, 57mph, Langdon Bay, Kent, 56mph; Needles Old Battery, Isle of Wight, 55mph.

Posted

Posted Image

A tree across a railway track in Keymer, near Brighton Pic: Network Rail

http://news.sky.com/story/1160485/hurricane-force-storm-hits-southern-britain

• Like 1

Posted

Well, have woken up to some interesting news this morning, seems it was quite bad for some.Shame on anyone who criticised the Met Office, said they had called it wrong and claiming that this was a non event before it had even arrived. Shame on anyone criticising the rail companies for cancelling, with so many trees down on the network, you can only imagine the potential for some kind of accident if they hadn't.And to think that this all came from nothing more than a minor 'disturbance' thousands of miles away. It still amazes me how they can predict such an event from something many would see as so inconspicuous.

I think the MET did get it right because of this squall line. 70mph+ inland is quite notable. The warnings have probably saved many lives. Ok they may have got it wrong for some western/Midland areas but it would have been risky not to include them in a warning, it didnt miss them by much. I was sceptical yesterday, but in hindsight the warnings were justified, just about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

eamonn Holmes said earlier on sky and it did make chuckle and i quote "how will we ever recover from this" REALLY

Posted

For people who were interested in the sting jet, one did form.

For people who were interested in the sting jet, one did form.

6am this morning super charging the gusts we've seen the last couple of hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Disregarding Needles, which is a non-standard exposure and therefore not comparable to other stations, the highest gust, according to the Met Office, was Langdon Bay, 82 mph.

I live a 1.5 miles away from the Needles at 0530 we got about 85 mph.