Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Monday's storm - into Europe.

Coast

Posted

Surfers go out in all weathers, me included though many years ago. I suppose they should stop when the waves are big in case school kids think it's safe to go in !

Yeah but would you feel comfortable surfing in roughing seas knowing somebody is missing probably dead because of the conditions just a few miles away? You are surfing and helicopters are flying around nearby looking for somebody? I think the fact that Sky News interviewed them and showed it, when a few miles away, some lad has probably lost his life to the sea, I think that what's gets me not so much those swimmers. I think Sky News were tactless in doing that.
  • Like 2

Posted

Really vexing me the amount of vitriol on places like Facebook and twitter, all "oh look, there's a leaf on the lawn" type comments. 

May I remind people that there have been people killed because of this storm and unless they want to go and explain to the families of the dead how much of a 'non event' it was for you, then I suggest you stay quiet rather making flippant remarks!

I agree, but given the blanket and in my opinion slightly OTT coverage from many media outlets over the weekend are you really surprised.

I too have spoken to people this morning claiming a non event, claiming the forecasters don't know what they are on about and how they never get it right.  All of these people live in the NW of England. The storm was never forecast to have a severe impact here, but when "joe public" switches on the TV and sees headline news on SKY predicting armageddon what are they supposed to think ?

I have tried to suggest it was never forecast to be that bad up here, but you then get "well it said so in the papers and on the telly" thrown back at you.

It has been a notable event for the S of England - within the warnings and advisories issued by the Met Office.

• Like 1

Posted

I don't know any Danish but I think you can glean the message, as the low from UK is deepening and heading Denmark's waythe red circles are flashing

It's warning of the storm and high water levels on the west coast.

Posted

Really vexing me the amount of vitriol on places like Facebook and twitter, all "oh look, there's a leaf on the lawn" type comments. 

May I remind people that there have been people killed because of this storm and unless they want to go and explain to the families of the dead how much of a 'non event' it was for you, then I suggest you stay quiet rather making flippant remarks!

just to add, i wonder how many trees have been damaged or severely weakened by this storm. all it takes is for one of those trees to finally give up the ghost on a breezy day, days or even weeks down the line, come crashing down on a car and the so-called "non-event" claims another victim. i've seen it happen

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yeah but would you feel comfortable surfing in roughing seas knowing somebody is missing probably dead because of the conditions just a few miles away? You are surfing and helicopters are flying around nearby looking for somebody?I think the fact that Sky News interviewed them and showed it, when a few miles away, some lad has probably lost his life to the sea, I think that what's gets me not so much those swimmers. I think Sky News were tactless in doing that.

I don't blame the swimmers personally- there's a fair number of people out there with risky hobbies and they might have fancied giving it a go in particularly stormy conditions and feel that the risk is acceptable despite the incidence of someone drowning a few miles away.  But yes, it probably wasn't the best of times for Sky News to broadcast what they were doing.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Is it possible anyone can give me some data on Denmark please..have friends who live there asking

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Is it possible anyone can give me some data on Denmark please..have friends who live there asking

Not really, outside our model, this is the website

http://www.dmi.dk/en/vejr/

Posted

I don't blame the swimmers personally- there's a fair number of people out there with risky hobbies and they might have fancied giving it a go in particularly stormy conditions and feel that the risk is acceptable despite the incidence of someone drowning a few miles away.  But yes, it probably wasn't the best of times for Sky News to broadcast what they were doing.

problem is though, when they get into trouble, its the rescuers who then have to risk their lives in those conditions.

is the risk acceptable then?

• Like 7

Posted

Yeah but would you feel comfortable surfing in roughing seas knowing somebody is missing probably dead because of the conditions just a few miles away? You are surfing and helicopters are flying around nearby looking for somebody?I think the fact that Sky News interviewed them and showed it, when a few miles away, some lad has probably lost his life to the sea, I think that what's gets me not so much those swimmers. I think Sky News were tactless in doing that.

I agree that the Sky News bit was insensitive and tactless given the circumstances. Surfers however save many lives usually swimmers who get caught in rip tides, so although very tragic, it wouldn't stop me enjoying a sport i love

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

problem is though, when they get into trouble, its the rescuers who then have to risk their lives in those conditions.

is the risk acceptable then?

Spot on

Posted

I can hear a few chainsaws going from here. Daughter phoned landlord to report no electricity as water come if from the roof of the flat above and into the electricity of both flats. His response? I have houses with half their roofs off I can't worry about electricity!!! Wonderful man. They have just dried round it and put electric on even though their latest fire alarm test showed the system needed replacing. They will just have to turn the elctric off when they go to sleep! If it is true roofs were damaged then this was one mighty storm!

I can hear a few chainsaws going from here. Daughter phoned landlord to report no electricity as water come if from the roof of the flat above and into the electricity of both flats. His response? I have houses with half their roofs off I can't worry about electricity!!! Wonderful man. They have just dried round it and put electric on even though their latest fire alarm test showed the system needed replacing. They will just have to turn the elctric off when they go to sleep! If it is true roofs were damaged then this was one mighty storm!

My shed roof blew of.. this is a 8m by 12m shed...

Posted

Some trees down round here, but mostly branches (some very big) strewn around. Bright and breezy now! Andrews field (nr Braintree, recorded a 79mph gust. Probably close to that here 15 miles away.

• Like 1

Posted

All fine here, Got a small power-outage around 6:30 that killed the bedroom TV that had been left on standby, and a few branches down, I've been out clearing up a bit of debris, but apart from that all is okay. Was expecting more than it was to be honest, as a storm a few years ago blew our kitchen ceiling down.  I suppose it all depends on what direction it is arriving from.

I called my elderly neighbours to check they were okay and they were not even ruffled Posted Image

I thought the guy on radio 4 this morning made a brilliant comment, along the lines of leaves on the line are a lot harder to deal with when still connected to the tree!Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy rain/snow, thunderstorms

In Gt Moulton Norfolk, had a gust circa 60-65mph at 0820 (prob the sting jet squall line) and heavy winds for 20 mins.  Amazingly the electric stayed on.  All is a bit calmer now just a fresh breeze from SSW.

Hope all are safe and well and my condolences to those without power or those who have sadly, lost their lives.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It was fairly bad in Chelmsford earlier this morning, with quite a few large branches off trees strewn across footpaths and some of the minor roads. Some house without power and no trains up to Liverpool Street until midday at the earliest and even then according to Greater Anglia it will be a very restricted service. I am working from my company's Chelmsford office this morning but hope to make it up to my office in Euston this afternoon.

Parkway near the Army and Navy Roundabout closed due to part of the roof of the Premier Inn (no more than 4 years old) has become detatched and there is insulation everwhere.

Although the damage is somewhat more localised than originally envisaged it is nonetheless extensive in those areas that have been affected by the worst of the conditions.

Kind Regards

Dave

Was it a zinc roof? I think they should be outlawed by building regs. Exactly the same happened to a hotel in Haverhill which was 6 moths old several years ago.

Apologies for replying to this so late, but finished rearranging some branches which had come down in the hedge. The only damage which is pretty brilliant. Mean 35mph, gust 53mph recorded at nearest weather station, pressure 978 at lowest point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Windstorm, Thunderstorm, Heavy Squally, Blustery Winds

I have been told you about everybody should really be warned about earlier for safety but there are 230,000 without power outages in England and Wales and two people were killed by falling trees. The winds had been gust up to 99mph, nearly 100mph, as a Cat 2 storm.

Posted

I have been told you about everybody should really be warned about earlier for safety but there are 230,000 without power outages in England and Wales and two people were killed by falling trees. The winds had been gust up to 99mph, nearly 100mph, as a Cat 2 storm.

But not at standard height. 82 mph was the highest representative speed reported.

It's not a category 2 storm because it wasn't a hurricane. Normal baroclinic lows aren't catagorised.

Posted

Round 2 Coming soon.

I guess you are on about this weekend coming? Is it looking stronger wind wise (stupid question this early I guess) ? I guess it'll be another week of sitting glued to this site.

Posted

They have just said that the The Dungeness B nuclear power station in Kent has restarted its reactors using diesel generators after they were automatically shut down earlier due to a power cut.